Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever write low concept scripts?

I don't mean it as, do you ever get low concept ideas.

But with the write-the-most-brilliant-high-concept-script-ever-or-you'll-never-make-it hammer hanging over our muses' heads, if you get a nice idea that is alluring (to you, at least), exciting (same disclaimer), and wants you to write it--but you know it is no high concept.
    Do you write them? Or trash them? Or put them away to write, one day, when you are old and filthy rich and don't need to work in this town anymore? J
    delicious delirium

Re: Do you ever write low concept scripts?

If it's a story that gets your butt in the chair, it's a story worth writing.
    "So I guess big parts of our youth are supposed to suck. Otherwise we'd get too attached and wake up one day trapped on a hamster wheel that used to look like a merri-go-round." - Hal Sparks

Comment

High concept or low, the story that inspires you to write is always going to be better than the story you force yourself to write because you think it's more marketable.

Comment

agree 100%.

Comment

Most of the scripts I *haven't* sold are not high concept. Sometimes you just have to write it, even if you know it will never sell.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

"Do you ever write low concept scripts?"

Yes, if the idea ignites my writing-process. At times, low-concept does that. Other times it's high-concept. But I wouldn't send a little indie story to UNIVERSAL PICTURES or a big-budget epic to HANDMADE FILMS.

Sometimes I ask, about an idea: "Do I want to write this?" Other times, I feel about an idea: "I have to write this!" I've written both types. All is grist for the mill.
            NiteScribe
            User
            Last edited by NiteScribe; 05-25-2005, 06:12 PM.

Comment

This is a numbers game. If you can pomp out three or four script a year, few things happen.

So write, write, and write some more until you figure it out.
              Faster would be better! ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by Geevie
                If it's a story that gets your butt in the chair, it's a story worth writing.
                So damn true... It's one of those things, I'm not in it to make money (though it would be nice). I'm in it to be heard. And sometimes, you just need to hear a particular story yourself... High concept. Low concept. Some stories just need telling...
                twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Yeah, I think it's pretty natural for writers to start out doing low concept scripts because they are focused on honing aspects of their writing like character and dialogue... and also young writers probably aren't fully aware of just how impossible it is to sell a spec script unless it's high concept.

Comment

god hep us.

Comment

There might be inspiring stories which are high concept too
                      I've been talking to a fellow screenwriter, which sparked the post. He said that he just does not write low concept ideas, period. He puts them in a file, just in case, and waits for an exciting high concept idea to strike him.

At the same time, it is all mostly theoretical for me, because I'm not really wired the high-concept way. Probably it is going to be the death of me as a future professional. I think things are maybe getting better, but we'll see.

Hassan_Chop
                      Yes, and then you sit on those scripts, and realize no one wants them. I've got a few of them, not counting a couple of earlier efforts. All low concept. I can't say I didn't enjoy writing them, or that it wasn't a learning experience, but recently the thought of writing one more prisoner of my drawers which will never be wanted undercuts something... maybe inspiration.
                      delicious delirium

Comment

At this point, I just write the script I'd like to see made into a movie I'd gladly pay $9+ to watch in a theater. No other thoughts concern me.

Comment

write a script that you are passionate about, it will help you through the days you think you are worthless, and this pipe dream is cluttering your life.
                          make it so good that people see the value in making it.

then, from what you have learned from that experience, which may have taken years, you begin to understand how 'the formula movies' are written; the thems and plot lines that mainstream america pay money to see. this is what pentium said.

but it has to come second, after the first level, the level in which you have subjectivity, or ignorance on the difficulties of earning a living in the business.

you start looking at the industry 'as a business.' it is a machine, and that machine prints out many, many duplicates, packaged with a different name.

low concpet means you better have superbly written characters. if you don't cry in a low concept movie, it wasn't good enough.

you can count on me is my favorite movie that has no story. it was so well written, and acted even with the shoddy plotline, simple stuff, and done before. Someone liked it and made it. low concept means you better find a whale who can get people behind it.

your market is 16-28, that's who you need to deal with if you are trying to do something highconcept. obviously these are just numbers, but the machine has already crunched these numbers and they live by them. that's why it's so hard for these business's to pass on a movie for another. people's jobs are on the line and taking uneeded risks is career threatening.

the two jobs in the world that 'what have you done for me lately,' apply are professinal sports, and film making.

perfect example, they booed mariano riveria this year, ignorance, just like me, and others who beat on lucas. (are we deranged?) the guy created star wars, who the hell cares if he took some things from other things and made it better. (now, him making it worse, well, as a critic, i can express my opinion.)

vig

vig

vig

Comment

When I first started out, I always figured that low concept meant no car chases, f/x, etc. and the high concept flicks had plenty to boot. As a result, many of first specs were such high concept stories overladen with special effects and shoot outs. About a dozen scripts and four years later, I found out how horribly wrong I was. It's about what moves you and speaks to your soul, no matter what the subject matter. Not only would I recommend writing these so called low concept scripts, I think every newbie (which I still am) be mandated to b/c it forces you, the writer, to be creative and not resort to cheap special effects which by the way is why I was so disappointed in the new Stars Wars movie? But that's for a different discussion.

jp

Comment

I don't really think High Concept has anything to do with the amount of car chases and f/x. High budget maybe!
                              http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X