Study plan help (not sure where to post this)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study plan help (not sure where to post this)

I'm in a low residency program studying screenwriting. I have to come up with a study plan for the term. There are 5 packets and each packet has to focus on one element of screenwriting and include a reading list of 3 screenplays.

For packet 1, I was thinking about focusing on dialogue. I have to come up with 3 screenplays (Resevoir Dogs, Before Sunrise, and ?).

So does anyone have any suggestions on what I should in this study plan?

Re: Study plan help (not sure where to post this)

I'm not experienced enough with writing screenplays to give you great advise, but hopefully some one else who writes more will chime in.

Firstly... I didn't quite understand

There are 5 packets and each packet has to focus on one element of screenwriting and include a reading list of 3 screenplays.
    For packet 1, I was thinking about focusing on dialogue. I have to come up with 3 screenplays (Resevoir Dogs, Before Sunrise, and ?).
    Tell us more clearly about the instructions you got with the packets. What's the whole course about. What do you have to turn in in detail. Perhaps that might help.

But really...If I were you I'd go straight to the course instructor with these questions. They'll be best qualified to tell you exactly what they are looking for. Or perhaps your course has an advisor that can help explain the 5 packets more and help you work out a study plan. Good luck.

KEY IS talking to those teachers who are going to review and grade your work.
    I'd think they would be more than happy to offer good suggestions and the clarifying guidance that you need.

Good luck with it again.

Joe.

PS.
    If by low-residency you mean you live far away from the college that teaches this course, perhaps the course advisors and teachers have included an email address or phone number with dates and times to call them for help and assistance. (eg Office hours)
    Last edited by JoeWriter; 06-13-2005, 05:43 AM.

Comment

This is a study site for playwriting. It may give you some ideas:

http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/artweb/pl...g/seminar.html

This is a screenwriting study site:

http://www.empirecontact.com/magicstar/
      If you really like it you can have the rights
      It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

It's not that kind of program. It's an MFA program at a "progressive" college, which means there are no Professors (advisors only), no grades, no courses, no ... anything.

I have to design my own courses and determine my goals for the semester. I create a study plan which should help me achieve that. There are 5 packets that have to be mailed, each one three weeks apart from the last, and each includes annotations of screenplays and creative work. The packets should be about 50 pages in total.

Last semester, I was all over the place reading scripts I've always wanted to read, but there was goal in sight. This term, I'd like to break it into thematic groups and focus on one element of writing each time.

I figured dialogue, action sequences, character development and that's as far as I got.

I need scripts for each, and those scripts tend to be balanced between produced and Zoetrope scripts.

I have 2 weeks to come up with a plan and a bibliography, so any help with script suggestions or packet focus would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Have your read Thomas Pope's Good Scripts, Bad Scripts: Learning the Craft of Screenwriting Through 25 of the Best and Worst Films in History? It's great for breadth of style and indepth analysis from the POV of a produced screenwriter.

Then there's Best American Screenplays I, II, and III. Lots of celebrated scripts all in one place, allowing you to pick and choose those that suit your purposes.
          If you really like it you can have the rights
          It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

no Professors (advisors only), no grades, no courses, no ... anything.

I have to design my own courses and determine my goals for the semester. I create a study plan which should help me achieve that. There are 5 packets that have to be mailed, each one three weeks apart from the last, and each includes annotations of screenplays and creative work. The packets should be about 50 pages in total.
            each packet has to focus on one element of screenwriting and include a reading list of 3 screenplays.

It looks like you are doing just fine. This progressive course sounds like you are in charge. So then it's 250 pages - 50 pages per packet( approx 17 pages each screenplay times 3 screenplays per packet) - annotated by you over 15 weeks.
            or
            (Total of approx 17 page segments of 15 screenplays choosen by you over 15 weeks and annotated by you to fit those 5 focus areas of your choosing)

Five "major areas" or "packets".

ECHO WROTE:
            I figured dialogue, action sequences, character development and that's as far as I got.

You've already got 3 of 5 focus areas or packets choosen/created.

Sounds like you only need to choose 2 more. Well done.

I can't tell you what the best focus areas are, but perhaps someone with more experience can. I'm a student. (as far as novel and screen writing goes)

So, perhaps you can teach me after you get your MFA...good luck.

You'll do fine.

I can offer this.

Within THESE THREADS you should be able to nail down your last two topics.

Can't you think of 10 topics straight away? Do a thread search. Google it.

You'll get your last 2 topics, if no pro writer replies. I hope they do, but perhaps they believe you can nail down those last 2 packets without a problem.

If you still have doubts then, call that advisor. That's what they are there for. Right?

Maybe they can get you past that last "2 packet" hurdle.

In this course you seem to be the teacher and the student.

Very best of luck. You'll do fine.

Just balance your course and don't put in more than you can handle in 15 short weeks.

Keep it realistic.

Balance is key...

There is no cookie-cutter approach.

You must have heard this all before, because I keep reading it on this board and in many screenwriting books.

Bottom line. Good luck.

Joe.

PS.. Calling all pro writers to give Echo some suggestions on those last 2 packets.

Last edited by JoeWriter; 06-14-2005, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Structure and pacing?
              http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great ideas English Dave!

What do you think Echo?

anyone else...have some ideas?

best,

Joe.

Comment

These are great ideas and the links are awesome. Thanks.

I have to write a 3 page paper on each script in each packet. I'm supposed to include 25 pages of creative work, but that never seems to happen.

I have to give them my study plan in 2 weeks and I think I may have the topics. If anyone has any suggestions on screenplays to read, please feel free. My advisor is only going to approve my plan, but will not be vocal in creating it or fixing it.

Dialogue -- Quiz Show,

Character Development --

Subplots --

Conflict (internal/external) -- Ordinary People,

Action sequences -- Matrix,

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

A script (which I don't have -- I wonder if it's available) that I absolutely love for dialogue is THE LION IN WINTER. Of course, it was a stage play, first. But its dialogue is stellar, and it's a story that twists and turns and totally relies on conflict/dialogue between the characters to reveal the plot.

DINER and MOONSTRUCK are scripts with great dialogue, and I know they're available. There are others on the tips of my fingers, but I'm having trouble thinking of them. Need more caffeine, I guess.
                    my webpage
                    my blog

Comment

For dialogue, got to recommend GlenGarry Glen Ross
                      http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

hurly burly

Comment

Here's some suggestions:

Dialogue - Grosse Point Blank, State and Main

Character - In America, Three Kings

Subplots - Wow, drawing a total blank here.

Conflict - The Verdict, Chinatown

Action - Hero, Face-Off
                          Hope that's helpful.
                          "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
                          "If I didn't have inner peace I'd totally go psycho on you guys all the time." - Carl Carlson

Comment

Working...
                          X