X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The new writer's bible

My favorite piece of advice is:

DON'T BE BORING.

I think it's the single most useful guideline you can apply to the most basic questions you're asking of yourself as you begin a project.

Comment

Yes it is "harder than hell" to write your way into Hollywood. Anything that can pay you crazy money for a few months work would be hard. The idea is to keep writing. The break will come.

Paddy Chayefsky was turned down all over the place. No one liked his material. When he was finally discovered, he had a car trunk full of scripts. The people who passed on him before, wanted to buy stuff they already rejected.

There's a reason for this anecdote... If you don't know who Paddy Chayefsky is, find out real quick or get the hell out of Dodge!

Landis

Comment

i have no clue who that is... but i'm not in dodge, but i do have a trunk load of scripts.

vig

Comment

One person's criticism can be discounted. However, when two or more people have the same criticism, they are not wrong... YOU are.

Anyone can become a really good screenwriter. However, if you want to sell something, you have to be the BEST screenwriter.

Don't write a script unless you'd pay to see the film. Don't try to sell it until you'd give the film four stars.

Comment

"when two or more people have the same criticism?" keen

i've seen ten people give the same incorrect criticism.

vig

Comment

1. If you can take and implement feedback, and are prepared to do an infinite number of drafts, you will eventually get better. (Knowing whether a particular item of feedback is worth implementing is the hard part. It's a skill learned from reading a vast number of good -- and bad-- scripts/plays/ books, seeing movies, etc. so that eventually you develop an almost physical sense of whether feedback "resonates.")

2. Never defend your work, no matter how much you have to grit your teeth. Take notes graciously, and ALWAYS thank the giver, even if they're a ranking idiot. Even ranking idiots can occasionaly give you gems. (That doesn't mean that you have to implement the notes -- it just means NEVER attack the person who gave them and say that they're "wrong" or "didn't get it.") YOUR BIGGEST SINGLE ASSET is a corps of people who can be trusted to give you thoughtful, intelligent, detailed feedback -- even if they rip your script (and ego) to shreds in the process.

3. Never stop learning. With every new screenplay, become an expert in something new. Don't write a cop movie based on all the other cop movies -- talk to some cops!

4. If you'd rather be doing anything other than writing screenplays, you should be doing that other thing. If you see screenwriting as a means to an end you will be miserable at it -- and probably never reach that "end."

5. Don't quit your day job the first time a prodco agrees to read your script, or the minute you get a rep. In fact, don't quit your day job until you've earned enough from screenwriting that you've got a year's expenses in the bank -- and maybe not even then. (Quitting your day job in order to move to LA and get a low-level job in the biz is another option, but that's for many other threads...)

LauriD
              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by vig
                "when two or more people have the same criticism?" keen

i've seen ten people give the same incorrect criticism.

vig
                Vig, if ten people tell you that you're dead, lie down.

Comment

1) Chatrooms and messageboards are more fun than scriptwriting.

That's all I know.
                  Give it all and ask for no return/And very soon you'll see and you'll begin to learn/That it's alright, yes, it's alright...

Comment

Don't get it right, get it written.
                    RIP Lew Gastoni.

Comment

Story is everything.
                      Craft maximises talent

Comment

After you write the semi-autobiographical first script and it gets mocked for its lack of high concept, after which you write nothing but high concept, don't forget to invest your scripts with the one thing the first script had right: a heart.

Keep in touch with the few readers who consistently give good notes and share similar sensibilities and ambitions.

Comment

Not all ideas are great. Some ideas are good, some ideas are bad. It takes experience to learn to tell the difference.
                          You're a mighty master of minutia. Your enemies fear you.

Comment

Disclaimer: I'm no pro
                            so USE WHAT WORKS, IGNORE WHAT DOESN'T

1) Respect the craft and learn the basics.

2) Don't be afraid to post your work.
                            You learn where your writing "blind or weak spots" are from peer review.

3) Be thankful of peer review.
                            Review other's work in turn as best you know how.

4) Know the bad writing days can be of useful learning value too.
                            And of course - Enjoy the good writing days!

5) Patience. (No one learns to write in a day.)

6) Learn when to take a break
                            (recharge the batteries)

7) Remain determined. Remain positive. You can do it!

8) Find a good competent writing coach or teacher. (if you can)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWriter
                              Remain positive. You can do it!
                              This is the worst advice ever. You should remain positive and vow to give it your best shot. But you should always, always, always be aware that there is a chance you won't make it. Many people never do.

Screenwriting is not the be-all and end-all. It's possible to have a perfectly full, happy life without ever writing another script.

I hate blind optimism. The world is full of disappointments. That's just life.
                              "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                              ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

1. Write something EVERYDAY!!!!
                                2. Finish the script BEFORE moving on to the next idea.
                                3. Outlines can keep you on track.
                                4. Don't be afraid to deviate from the outline - try not to stray too far from the path.

My mantra - Just write, baby (with apologies to Al Davis).

David

Comment

Working...
                                X