• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The new writer's bible

Originally posted by Frankclone
    pace raven
    What the heck is that supposed to mean?

You wouldn't walk into a job interview in the grungy clothes you wore to fix the toilet yesterday. Why would you send your script into the world in the same condition?
    "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
    ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

I agree with Bad Liver's point one. But I think he stole point 2 from Unca Leo and claimed it as his own. Next thing you know, he'll claim that they have the same agent.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT LESSON:
      Never click on Unca Leo's links.

Comment

1) Screenwriting isn't brain surgery. It's far more difficult. For quite some time your only reward will be an occassional pat on the back and the knowledge that you've made some forward progress on a very long learning curve. Understand that, but starting with script #1, write to sell anyway.

2) Don't get stuck endlessly rewriting early scripts. Chances are their underlying structure sucks and no amount of rewriting will "fix" them. Move on.

3) Study everything on storytelling and basic story structure you can get your hands on.

Comment

Skypilot,

I cannot DISAGREE enough with your points 1 and 2. And I guess I could, if I tried, disagree with your point 3.

Comment

1. Buy her flowers.
            2. Never operate heavy machinery while naked.
            3. The loudest mouth is connected to the smallest brain.

Those metaphors are all writing-related.

Originally posted by Ravenlocks
            You wouldn't walk into a job interview in the grungy clothes you wore to fix the toilet yesterday. Why would you send your script into the world in the same condition?
            Jeez, that's embarrassing, I've never seen anyone so desperate to have themselves quoted in someone else's sigline.

-Derek
            Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity.

Comment

Not sold yet. Truckload of unfinished scripts, check. Truckload of finished scripts, check. The gall to send any of them anywhere, uncheck.

I have a directory on my desktop called "Writing". In it, there's about 40 sub directories, each containing first drafts, rewrites, and even more rewrites.

I'm by no means a professional. I just love writing and I do it for the fun of doing it. So..

1.) If you don't love it, you probably won't succeed. If you do love it, you have a much better chance than the guy who doesn't.

2.) Don't lie to yourself.

3.) Develop a multiple personality disorder so you can put yourselves in the shoes of the people who tell you that your script sucks. "Don't hate, participate."

4.) Read everything you can that relates to your end goal. Screenwriting tutorials, screenplays, interviews with screenwriters, whatever you can find. I haven't read a real book in 3 years, but I bet I can tell you what the proper format of just about anything is.

5.) Be original. One of the reasons I don't read books is so that I won't comprimise my originality. If I think it's original, it is original to me and it keeps me writing. If you *know* you're stealing an idea, it will make the entire process a moral pain in the ass.

6.) Be positive, even if your relatives aren't. Take comments about your script in stride. Never assume the readers are stupid if they tell you they don't get it. 99% of them are, but you may miss the 1% that could really help you.

7.) Write how you want to write. Do not conform yourself to any one set of "rules". Structure is good, but at some point, too much structure and you've predictable crap.

8.) Before you make it, condition yourself beforehand to the fact that Hollywood is full of the equivalents of entertainment retards. They will destroy your vision if it will pick them up another demographic. Take it in stride, while planning their untimely demise with some form of explosive.

9.) Don't use the explosive. Screenwriters get raped in prison for being too sensative and what-not.

10.) Finally, don't let anything out of your computer that you don't believe in. Rewrite it if it doesn't make perfect sense to you. Rewrite it if your message is unclear. Rewrite it if you change your first act. Rewrite, rewrite, and then rewrite some more. Think of yourself as your own personal one man or woman thinktank that works in shifts, with you being in charge of the first draft.
              My God, it's full of stars!

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso
                Jeez, that's embarrassing, I've never seen anyone so desperate to have themselves quoted in someone else's sigline.
                LOL

"Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul
                  Skypilot,

I cannot DISAGREE enough with your points 1 and 2. And I guess I could, if I tried, disagree with your point 3.

Well, OK.

How about this one...

Be real. Most folks completly underestimate the effort required to make it as a screenwriter. That's why the field is not nearly as competitive as it appears, and it's also why over 90% of submitted screenplays never get past a first read.

Comment

Originally posted by Skypilot
                    1) Screenwriting isn't brain surgery. It's far more difficult.
                    wow
                    ...it's like a battle between motors and horses, like technology vs. horse.

Comment

Yeah, I hope no brain surgeons read this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy
                        Yeah, I hope no brain surgeons read this thread.
                        OK, OK, OK!

Would you believe, more difficult than taxidermy?

Comment

Hmmm...for what it's worth...

1) Write what you want and not what others tell you to.

2) Read. Read screenplays. Read interviews with writers wherein they discuss what they actually do instead of telling you what should be done.

3) Ignore 90% of the advice you get on screenwriting websites.

Comment

(1) "The first draft of anything is sh!t." Hemmingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack0902
                              (1) "The first draft of anything is sh!t." Hemmingway.
                              These are mine:
                              Three Tips For Aspiring Screenwriters:

1. A*s + Chair = Success.

2. The only rule in screenwriting is: donâ€TMt be boring.

3. Write simple stories with complex emotions.

But if it wasn't obviously outright plagarism, I'd add that Hemingway quote that Jack0902 just posted. I LOVE that one, and as usual, Papa H. knew what he was talking about, although what I wouldn't give to be able to write as well as he did in any one of his first drafts.

WHL

Comment

1) Do your homework/research. Hoping you'll convince a reader to believe in your rocket scientist protagonist, or your attempt to achieve versimilitude in your description of a ballistics report, or your theory on why Godzilla remained frozen under the ice for 6,000 years will take more than a quick Google. Don't fudge it. God is in the details.

2) Movies are emotional journeys. More than anything else, your story should deal with emotion on some level.

3) Be honest. Write truthfully. If you don't feel it when you write it, no one else will when they read it.
                                ENNIS spits in the palm of his hand, puts it on himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X