Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronouns in action.

Just looking for some guidelines about pronoun useage in action lines. I will reference some scripts as well. Thanks.

Example:

If following a line of dialog is it acceptable to write, "He or she." When it's clear who's taking the action.

Also, do you try to name your character only once in an action paragraph, then use a pronoun.

Assuming there are only two people in the room, should you write there names, if it's a woman and a man?

Please forgive me is this is one of those questions...

Thanks.
    "Don't blame a fish for swimmin'".

Re: Pronouns in action.

There are no rules. You only need to be clear. Just put your script away for a day or two and read it with a fresh mind. If you're confused to whom your pronouns refer, then replace them with the name. Simple. Don't make a big thing out of it.
    Last edited by Fixer-Upper Brother; 06-24-2005, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Everything you've proposed is fine.

A good guide to these kinds of questions is Strunk and White's Elements of Style.
      If you really like it you can have the rights
      It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Yeah, and just read as many produced scripts as possible.
        All my life I've had one dream; to achieve my many goals.

Comment

Usually in a paragraph, I give the name and then use the pronoun until another character of the same sex is involved. For instance.

Tom runs into the house. He searches every room and finally finds Barry. Tom then tackles him to the ground.

You don't want to use a proper name too frequently, but you have to be very careful that the reader alwyas knows to whom a pronoun is referring.

Comment

I use the same guide line that Keen uses, and I also add; Name pronoun pronoun Name if it's a solo character for a while. so, for example:

Todd gets out of bed. He goes to the bathroom. He looks at himself in the mirror. Todd grabs a razor and hacks at his wrists.

Comment

I think a proper name needs to be used first, even if it seems clear Tom is doing the action.

I use use the pronoun to consistently refer to same character in that scene. If Tom is called he, then Jerry would remain Jerry throughout. Every 3rd time I re-identify Tom by name so there is no confusion.

Comment

Thanks, so much, for replying.
                "Don't blame a fish for swimmin'".

Comment

Wow - it seems people have put a lot of thought into this. Frankly, it never even occurred to me to wonder. I just go by the basic rule of writing: Clarity over style - Always.
                  "The only reason most scripts are bad is because most people can't write." Leslie Dixon

Comment

Originally posted by odocoileus
                    Everything you've proposed is fine.

A good guide to these kinds of questions is Strunk and White's Elements of Style.
                    of the advice i have read thus far, this is the best (by far)
                    ...it's like a battle between motors and horses, like technology vs. horse.

Comment

of the advice i have read thus far, this is the best (by far)
                      Funny, I was about to say the same thing about this:

Originally posted by pconsidine
                      Clarity over style - Always.
                      twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Clarity is what you want. Pronouns are fine as long as the meaning is clear.

Yes, I am really ComicBent. I can't hide any longer.

Comment

i would say clarity is an end, and that style is the means by which to get there
                          ...it's like a battle between motors and horses, like technology vs. horse.

Comment

Working...
                          X