Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing Pleasure

Screenwriting has ruined my ability to simply enjoy movies. I am constantly thinking about the script. For example, I recently rented In Good Company. The first part of that movie is pretty boring. I found myself wondering what the first ten pages were like, because we are constantly drilled about how awesome they must be. This happens everytime I watch a movie now. Cheesy lines really stand out. Am I just renting bad movies or does this happen to you guys also? Is it just going to take a great movie to sweep me away now??

Re: Viewing Pleasure

this is a good thing, you can now evaluate your own writing at a better level and hopefully write a better script. This is what motivated me to write. I told myself, I can write something better than that or my idea is so much better than that.

now you know how to write one the next step is getting it made or writing it.

good luck
    But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

It's part of why I'm insane

Comment

Originally posted by Pen Dragon
        It's part of why I'm insane
        I know that already... seem like you have plenty of company here in that regard
        But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by jessejames
          I found myself wondering what the first ten pages were like, because we are constantly drilled about how awesome they must be.
          Keep in mind that the "first 10" rule applies much more to spec screenplays from unproduced writers. Paul Weitz had already written and directed several films prior to In Good Company.
          Am I just renting bad movies or does this happen to you guys also? Is it just going to take a great movie to sweep me away now??
          You're probably on a bad streak, but average to slightly above average movies aren't going to cut it for you anymore. Every so often you'll see a gem, get lost in the story, and remember why you watch movies.
          http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime
            Every so often you'll see a gem, get lost in the story, and remember why you watch movies.
            That's it in a nutshell. You'll know sh1t when you see it but that won't stop you from enjoying the gem. If the technical level is good you won't even notice it. You'll be swept up in the movie.

Start looking at your watch and you know it's in trouble.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is why I do what I do and there is nothing like it in this or any other worlds.

Write, act, and direct the only way to live. Nothing else matters.
              Faster would be better! ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

the movie is a different medium, you are using sight to tell a story, the words have already been lifted from the witer into the director and god knows how many other peoples interpretation -

but the script is writting, and writers can move you, and the words they choose can be poetic and enlightnening and inspiring and so well written that it within itself a piece of art -

a scene can be written in short hand by a third grader that a director can translate into film. writing is art, something exceptional in a trained hand.

i've read a ton of beautifully written bombs, from done dealers. there is a difference between being able to write - and being able to write a script

when you write about things, like for instance journalism, or sports or blogging, people are great writers and can tell stories with narrative, inner monolouge, the easiest to write.

but when it comes to telling a story, not many storytellers out there cause we as people are not trained to put the other shoe on.

if you can't spin a yarn, you have no shot, even if you can write like hemmingway. i may not know how to write to save my life, but i can spin a yawn and i can see the movie in my head and that's gonna be enough.

vig

Comment

Vig, you likened yourself to a screenwriting Tex Cobb in another thread, but I've come to see you totally as Clark Gable in Teacher's Pet. Rent it and tell me if I'm not right

Comment

i will rent it pen, but i'm much better looking than clarke, but shorter.

vig

Comment

Don't know if anyone else gets this aswell but if I watch a really good film or see a trailer for a really good premise then I kind of get jealous. It's like "Damn, I wish I wrote that."

Might sound stupid. I'm pretty sure Stephen King metions it in his memior of the craft; "On Writing", something about writer envy.

Anyone else?
                      All my life I've had one dream; to achieve my many goals.

Comment

Nope, won't go away for as long as you're writing. And, when you see one of the turkeys, you'll know what's wrong with it and how you'd fix it.

Comment

I've started to pay more attention to certain bits, like the purpose of each scene, etc. Good dialogue stands out more and makes me laugh easier knowing that it's hard to come up with some good stuff like whatever I just heard in whatever movie it may be. But I always seem to get drawn into the really good movies no matter how hard I concentrate on the script or whatever.

Comment

Years ago I used to watch movies for curiosity and entertainment only.

Then I started watching them from an actor's POV as well, focusing on each actor's performance. The story became secondary in importance.

Then I added the screenwriter's POV and director's POV into the mix. The visuals, the first minute, the first 10 minutes, the structure, the plot points, the creative moments, the dialogue... etc. The story became first in importance again.

I'm vastly more demanding now. More picky and critical.

I just saw Casablanca and Blade Runner again this week. What a joy! Two completely different movies... made decades apart! Yet so fun to watch.

Talking about viewing pleasure? These two are hard to beat!

Comment

Working...
                            X