Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first ten

I'm just finished my first ten pages and have managed to introduce the main character, conflicts and most of the characters. But I still have an important supporting character (the love interest) to introduce.

Is it absolutely necesssary to have all characters and conflicts outlined or hinted at by page ten or can I stretch it a couple pages to page 12/13?

Thanks

Re: The first ten

There's nothing wrong with introducing the love interest a bit past page ten.

Comment

Do it now. I was watching Collateral the other day, and 10 or 15 minutes in, I'm going, "Where's Tom Cruise?"

Comment

The story works or it doesn't. Don't get too bogged down in page numbers.
        http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't think it would be a good idea to force intros for supporting characters into your first 10. It's no necessary.

Marion doesn't appear in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" until the 2nd Act.

Gerard doesn't show up until the 2nd act of "The Fugitive".

The same occurs in stories like "Big" and "Working Girl". The MDQs in those stores regards something other than the romance. The romance in those stories is subplot material that actually creates obstacles to the lead's goal.

Unless you're writing a traditional romance where the MDQ is "will they get together?", then you don't need to intro the love interest in the 1st act.

Comment

is the love interest the force that upsets the equilibrium of the protagonists life? For example, Tom in Collateral.

If so, then it is perfectly acceptable for the character to enter into the script at the turning of the act; since they are the force that changes the protag's world.

Comment

Thanks all.

My training and past experience has been to follow the tradional first act structure by introducing characters and conflicts. But then I read the article below that suggests the rules are to accomplish most first act goals in the first 10 pages. Did I miss the memo?

http://www.screenplayers.net/trailerizedscripts.html

I realize that we are to take such "advice" with a big grain of salt. But I also don't want to spend hours and hours on something that is fundementally flawed.

Thanks

Comment

Hmmmmm. Make of the article what you will. But who the hell is she? Soon as someone starts quoting 'rules' I run for the hills. Advise you do the same.

Comment

For some reason, I'm scared sh1tless of that link and can't bring myself to click it.

Comment

As long as we have some idea of what the film is going to be about and like the protagonist by page ten, you're doing fine.

Comment

Good move Insanity. It is a load of bollocks.

Comment

Everytime I read another article I feel like I NEED TO CHANGE something. RIGHT NOW. So I try to read them in between things...Otherwise it's complicated. More complicated than normal.

Comment

Gauchita -

Whenever you read a "don't do this, do do that" article written by some cynical, minutiae-obsessed former-reader-wannabe-screenwriter (or something similar) with a rules fetish and start questioning your approach, just find one of my posts and read the sig quote. It'll make you feel better.

Comment

Thank you. I have the visual now. Actually, when I think about it, everyone should have that visual in their head while they write. (Look for a "coming soon..." lol-- of you know what.) Too funny.

Comment

Working...
                            X