X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wordcaster
    replied
    Re: Montage scenes.

Montage is a chronological device i.e., a major device for getting the the time of the tale into the time of the telling. It is absolutely a writer's device - dircetors can make it look pretty and maybe put one in for their own purposes but it is a device we can use. The things to avoid are the "CUT TO"s and "CLOSE UP ON"S etc even in the montage.

Good luck,
    Wordie.

Leave a comment:

• Deus Ex Machine
    replied

One thing I forgot to say, I think the montage, like everything in the script, should advance story and character. If it's just a bunch of images that don't advance the drama, then I would leave it out of the script.

Leave a comment:

• TwoBrad Bradley
    replied

Raffydogg,

I saw a situation like yours in a movie recently. In White Noise the protag's wife has been missing for weeks. There's a knock on the door at 2:30 in the morning. The protag opens the door to see two police officers standing there. There is no dialogue. The movie immediately cuts to the funeral scene.

There`s nothing wrong with writing a montage. If the director knows anything about conflict and story progression, he can decide not to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Deus Ex Machine
    replied

There`s nothing wrong with writing a montage.

MONTAGE:

- Jack photographs the bodies.

- Jack places numbered tags beside cigarette butts, show prints, tire tracks.

- Jack photographs the evidence.

- Jack puts the evidence into plastic bags.

END MONTAGE:

I like to use more than `MONTAGE`, I like to give some indication of the focus of the montage like `MONTAGE OF JACK COLLECTING EVIDENCE:` or just `JACK COLLECTS EVIDENCE:`

Leave a comment:

• whistlelock
    replied

yep. I'd seperate each scene/location out on it's own action line.

As long as you're clear as to what's supposed to be happening, you'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Raffydogg
    started a topic Montage scenes.

Montage scenes.

Can a writer write a montage or is that a director's tool only.
    I'm writing a scene where the police come to a guy's home to tell him that his parents were killed in an automobile accident and they want him to come ID the bodies. i want to use a montage for when he sees the bodies, collects the personl items from police and when he tell the brothers and sisters at home about the accident.
Working...
X