Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the difference between a beat and pause

hi, what is the difference between pause and a beat. what is a beat?

Re: whats the difference between a beat and pause

a (beat) refers to a pause in the dialogue, "for the purpose of indicating a significant shift in the direction of a scene," while a (pause) is a pause usually for the same purpose.

they're interchangable.

some scripts (and writers) use one, some use the other (i've never seen a script use both, and it would be weird if one did), and no one really cares.

i've read people complain about the use of (beat) because it's an "actor's term," and so they suggested everyone should use (pause) instead...but that didn't really catch on. all kinds of very successful people use (beat) and all kinds of different sucessful people use (pause).

it don't matter.

"Though he is a person to whom things do not happen, perhaps they may when he is on the other side."
    -- Edward Gorey, The Unstrung Harp

Comment

I'd say, in general, a beat is like a one-second pause, you know, a change in thought... whereas a pause can be longer than that. So just don't use "beat" to indicate a long pause.

And yeah, some writers avoid "beat" altogether, but on the whole, it doesn't matter. Just don't overuse it.

Remember, you're not the actor.

Comment

A ''beat'' can also refer to a story ''beat'' or point as in ''BEAT SHEET''
        http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

English Dave hits on the problem. "Beat" has two totally different meanings in screenwriting:

1)The ever-so-slightly-archaic (beat) as a brief pause to separate lines of dialogue.

and

2) A plot point or "beat" in the rhythm of the story, a la "beat sheet."

Comment

I avoid (beats) and (pauses) like I avoid we see. Lazy writing.
            http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

I agree, Harry. I never use it.

(beat)

Almost never.

Comment

Hairy -

It always strikes me as funny that you and I agree so much on movies and so little on actual nuts-and-bolts screenwriting style issues.

(i.e., I don't think (pause), (beat) and "we see" are lazy writing. I think they're screenwriting.)

Then again, the movie is the most important thing, so it really doesn't matter where we (or, really, anybody) stand(s) on the minutiae.

"A screenplay is not a vehicle for expression via the written word." -- Ted Elliott

Comment

They are not interchangeable. But it doesn't really matter because nobody seems to care about the difference.

As captain bligh said, "(a beat is) for the purpose of indicating a significant shift in the direction of a scene." But the shift can also be subtle. And it doesn't necessarily mean a pause. Of course the actor or director can choose to pause. Or the actor can choose a shift in voice or expression without actually pausing.

Some writers prefer to insert an action to indicate a beat. When reading a professional script see if (mostly) all Action Statements (other than the first one in the scene) can be the same as spelling out "(beat)". Pay close attention to where dialogue by one character is broken up with a short bit of action.

Here's two quick examples (Okay, they are poor examples and a bit overdirecting, but I hope you get the idea):

TWOBRAD
                  Some writers prefer to insert an action to indicate
                  a beat. When reading a professional script see if
                  all Action Statements
                  (beat)
                  other than the first one in the scene
                  (beat)
                  can be the same as spelling out "(beat)".

TWOBRAD
                  Some writers prefer to insert an action to indicate
                  a beat. When reading a professional script see if
                  all Action Statements ...

Twobrad smiles as he looks at captain bligh.

TWOBRAD
                  other than the first one in the scene ...

Twobrad pounds his fist on the table.

TWOBRAD
                  can be the same as spelling out "(beat)".
                  Last edited by TwoBrad Bradley; 07-14-2005, 08:38 AM.
                  "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                  - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Most readers played the context clue game in 3rd grade and are quite capable of realizing what you mean when you use either one.

Comment

Working...
                    X