Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Action Scenes

When writing pure action scenes in a spec script, what's the prevalent style? Do you write a play-by-play of the action, or write a line like, "Officer Jim gives chase in his patrol car," and leave a bunch of space for timing purposes, or write the one line and leave no extra space?
    Quantum Mechanics is God's way of making sure we never really know what's going on.

Re: Writing Action Scenes

I recommend reading lots of action script and see how the pros do it.
    Faster would be better! ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Write what happens, including all the exciting bits.

-Derek
      Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity.

Comment

Keep the descriptions short and punchy. Two or three short sentence bursts. Lots of white space on the page. Also, keep the voice active. (Jack jumps. Hits the wall four feet up. Flings himself over in one move.)

Make sure that you use only the barest amount of description needed to paint a clear picture in the reader's mind. Don't go prosey: "Jack leaps like a gazelle for the rough-hewn brick edifice. He catches hold of the wall like a giant spider, impossibly high off the ground. Using impressive, almost superhuman strength, Jack propels himself up and over the wall in a move that would make a gymnast green with envy." BLECH!!

To recap -- keep it short, active and essential.
        Last edited by jschechter; 07-28-2005, 03:19 AM. Reason: Clean-up!
        Jeffrey Alan Schechter
        My Story Can Beat Up Your Story!

Comment

If you are going to write a car chase scene, read Gone in 60 seconds or Ronin.
          For fight scenes, is it important to show off certain Kung-Fu/Boxing skills?
          The more streamline the action, the faster the pace, the quicker the read.

Charli

Comment

Agree with Jeff. Short, succinct description of the action.

Don't go too broad where the reader can't picture anything in their head. But also don't get into too much depth as, especially with a kung-fu style fight, it will most likely change when the fight coordinator comes on set. Simply give us the highlights to keep us excited and the action moving.

Comment

Read scripts. Lost of scripts. They contain all the answers.

There is an excellent article by Charles Deemer which is posted on the twoadvebs board that may be helpful to you.
              Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

Originally posted by jschechter
                Keep the descriptions short and punchy. Two or three short sentence bursts. Lots of white space on the page. Also, keep the voice active. (Jack jumps. Hits the wall four feet up. Flings himself over in one move.)
                This is what I've been doing. I just wanted to see if I was on the right track. I realize that a lot of this action stuff is likely to change if the film gets made, but then again, so is most of my script.
                Quantum Mechanics is God's way of making sure we never really know what's going on.

Comment

Read lots of scripts - you can start with Shane Black.

Action scenes are all of the exciting parts, none of the dull parts.

Also, remember that an action scene is still a character scene and a story scene - what are we learning about the character in this scene? How does it advance the story?

Here's a tip on action scenes:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/Tip324.htm

- Bill
                  Last edited by wcmartell; 07-29-2005, 03:03 PM.
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Too bar there are no good books on writing action...ahem. Getting tired of waiting Bill...
                    "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Comment

The later the scene is in the script, the more you have to keep the action moving forward. If it's the climactic battle the script should be sprinting for the finish line. Make the reader flip through pages frantically until the climax and then slump down in his/her and take a deep breath.
                      "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you"
                      "If I didn't have inner peace I'd totally go psycho on you guys all the time." - Carl Carlson

Comment

I just watched The Getaway (Peckinpah version) and read the script afterwards. Both were very good.

Comment

Working...
                        X