Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight Sequence Structure Group

I am really enjoying the study of eight sequence structure. Was wondering if anyone else is using/studying the sequence method? If so, int the interest of really understanding this topic, would like to work with some people on this board to analyze popular films and how they break down into the eight sequence structure? Does that interest anyone?

I was thinking we would rent a movie on Saturday and discuss on Sunday how the film fits into eight sequence structure. Let me know if you're interested. Would like to start this Saturday.

By the way, for more info on the eight sequence structure, purchase the amazing book Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach by Paul Joseph Gulino or you can find a basic overview here: http://www.screenwritinglife.com/eight-sequences/
    "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Re: Eight Sequence Structure Group

Sequences Article:
    http://www.scriptnannies.com/script/10_03.html

8 Sequence breakdown of It Happened One Night
    http://www.scriptnannies.com/script/11_03.html

8 Sequence breakdown of Rushmore
    http://www.scriptnannies.com/script/12_03.html

Done Deal Thread on structure including 8 sequence
    http://scriptsales.com/boards/showthread.php?t=5241

Done Deal Thread on 8 sequence structure
    http://scriptsales.com/boards/showthread.php?t=10722
    Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

Thanks for the link to my eight sequences stuff. Cool idea about having the group discussion about a movie. I'm not sure there are enough aficionados of this specific paradigm to limit it to just 8 sequence analysis, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd love to take part, if so.

Also, are you in LA? We could get a few people together to break down a film in person (gasp!) at a local coffeeshop or something if there's interest.

All the best,
      Warren

Comment

Thanks for weighing in. Unfortunately, I'm not in LA (Phoenix, or LA without the ocean).

We could open the discussion to all forms of structure, like Main Tension, Act 1 turning points, Central Dramatic Question, all that good stuff.

I want to keep the focus around structure though to keep some structure to the conversation (HA!, I slay me!). As far as I'm aware, there is nothing like this anywhere else and I'm really exploring this method of structure and would appreciate someone to discuss this stuff with.

Comment

Another note...

I'm watching Poltergeist tonight with my boys and am going to attempt to capture the structure of the film. Will post my thoughts tomorrow and give others a chance to weigh in.

Anyone know what board I should do that on?

Comment

I just received Gulino's book from Amazon the other day. I haven't started reading it yet, but I'm interested in learning more.

I'd love to meet in an LA coffee shop to discuss writing and movies, unfortunately, I'm stuck in NJ.

Comment

Let me say the Gulino's book is one of the best I have read on screenwriting. It goes far beyond eight sequence structure, and it's an injustice to just how deep this book is to limit it to that in a review. I'll post a full review of the book on the book section tomorrow, but it's amazing.

One example is this is the first book that I have read that describes how the Main Tension is really just one act (the middle). The end is resolving a new tension.

Poltergeist, which is the first film I've watched through the lenses of this book, is a great example. Carol Ann is abducted early in the second act and is rescued at the end of the second act. The third act is the Poltergeist remanifesting itself and attempting to take the children and the family trying to escape the home.

I feel like I can throw away all of the other books I have and keep:

The Screenwriter's Bible (for the nuts and bolts)
              Story (for deeper reflection on the hero's journey, archtypes, etc.)
              and Screenplay: The Sequence Approach (as described above)

Comment

A sequence, like any complete dramatic unit, has a beginning, middle and end that is typically unified by a mini-goal of the protagonist.

Another unique aspect of the sequence structure approach is that while the protagonist is the primary motivator/resolver of the main dramatic tension, he is not necessarily the primary motivator and resolver of the mini-dramatic tension that unifies each sequence. In most cases the PROTAGONIST remains the "protagonist" or each sequence, but there are some sequences in some stories where the "protagonist" of the sequence is not the PROTAGONIST of the story.

Although this is true for any story regardless of how you structure it.

Using a sequence approach makes it easier to focus on the mini-goals and the structure of those sequences to see how they fit into the overall structure of the story. If you look at one of those Done Deal threads on structure, there is an example of structure I gave which shows how easily the 3 act and the 8 sequence paradigms integrate.

Comment

An illustration to what Deus said (and broken down in detail in Gulino's book) is that there are 15 sequences in LOTR Fellowship, and Frodo is the protag in only three, even though most would consider all three films to be Frodo's story. The rest are broken up with multiple protags.

Sequences are helpful to break up this intimidating 60 page void called the second act with 4 smaller 15 minute "films".

Comment

What is the 15/17 call to action structure you describe?

I ask because I feel in my years of study, I really get character, dialogue and basic plot structure and am trying to learn more into deeper structure...

Comment

The inciting incident usually falls on pages 15-17.

It's the same for any paradigm
                      Last edited by Deus Ex Machine; 07-29-2005, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by writerly
                        it's shocking that he doesn't think Seq F should be a lowpoint.

I'd be curious to hear other's thoughts on this...
                        If you read the previous thread on 8 sequence structures we talk about it a little.

You need that point to contrast the climax so it is typically thought of as a "low" point but that is a bit of an oversimplification, it is really a re-framing and escalation of the conflict.

Comment

Not to be too much of a pain Deus, but would you point me to that thread? Can't find it...

Comment

http://scriptsales.com/boards/showth...2&page=2&pp=10

Comment

Thanks Deus. You've been a lot of help. Do you have any advice for taking the eight sequence structure and actually applying it to the fleshing out of a screenplay outline?

Comment

Working...
                              X