Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings and Queens and Stuff

What event might take place that would have a king and queen from one nation visit another nation's king and queen? Would the death of a king or queen and a royal funeral do so?

I assume that the visiting king and queen would have an amazing procession, yes?

Also, what title does the sister to a king have, if any?
    "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Re: Kings and Queens and Stuff

The sister of a king or queen would be a princess and addressed as "Your ladyship".

But it all depends on what country you're speaking of. Today the UK has a Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh (not a king, thank God). If and when Charles becomes king he'll choose a royal name and his wife will be his consort, the Duchess of Cornwall, which is what she is now.

Indeed, royals visit other countries when there's a funeral. Marriages, if they're of the same generation, would probably bring them out; otherwise the heir to the throne would attend. Or his brother, sister or cousin.

Comment

To what time period do your questions apply?

The sister of a king is a princess, assuming she's a daughter of the previous monarch. If not, she goes by whatever family title she has inherited (duchess, baroness, or whatever applies).

Or so I believe.

Comment

Excellent replies. Thank you. I'm actually referring to medieval times, or even fantasy. But certainly not an era with flight as a method of transport.

Comment

I must correct myself. The sister of a queen or king in the UK would be a princess and addressed as "your royal highness", and afterwards, as to a queen, as "ma'am" (pronounced "mum").

Comment

Adam, either do a Google (e.h. "medieval British royalty titles") or check out "Beowulf" or "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight", or even Malory's "Morte d'Arthur" for the correct usage in medieval times.

Best to go to the, so to speak, horse's mouth.

Comment

Well, let's not assume he's working in the British tradition. The Poles used to elect their king, oddly enough, and they weren't the only ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Adam
                What event might take place that would have a king and queen from one nation visit another nation's king and queen? Would the death of a king or queen and a royal funeral do so?

I assume that the visiting king and queen would have an amazing procession, yes?

Also, what title does the sister to a king have, if any?
                Maybe they meet up cause they are friends and they like smoking weed together.
                Look into the cracks of the street and see the universe at your feet...

Comment

Wow. How old are you Edge?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Adam
                    Excellent replies. Thank you. I'm actually referring to medieval times, or even fantasy. But certainly not an era with flight as a method of transport.
                    Sorry, I was a little drunk when I wrote my previous reply...

Unless these royal families live relatively close to each other, I think it would be unlikely that they would come to visit unless it was some sort of marriage. In the event of a funeral though, they might send a messenger with their condolences.

In mid evil times it would be unwise to leave your kingdom. As alot can happen while your away on such a long trip such as an invasion.
                    Look into the cracks of the street and see the universe at your feet...

Comment

Morte d'Arthur should be read by one and all!

EJ

Comment

Available online at Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/m#a573

-Derek
                        Derek's Web Page - stories, screenplays, novels, insanity.

Nobody knows nothing, and I'm nobody.

Comment

mid evil
                          God, I love this board!

Comment

Working...
                          X