• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargaintuan
    replied
    Re: A montage of day and night scenes?

Originally posted by Optimus
    Often it feels too much like a "get-out-of-writing free" card. But, that's just my opinion.
    Well, in my case it's "get out of burdening the audience with a lot of boring, laborious crap while getting across the fact that time has past and characters' attitudes have changed" card.

Of course, I have a scene after the montage to establish the new states of my characters, but I need to show it happening over time. Essentially, I'm setting the characters up for the fall at the end of the second act by allowing them to take it easy for a couple of weeks at the beginning of it.

Leave a comment:

• Bad Liver
    replied

Originally posted by Optimus
    Often it feels too much like a "get-out-of-writing free" card. But, that's just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Optimus
    replied

I'm just afraid that by slugging each shot in the montage, I'm taking too much space.
    I seriously doubt that one montage will create so much space within your spec as to significantly contribute to its detriment. If your script comes out "too long," I'm sure the problem wouldn't be solved by deleting a few sluglines.

Leave a comment:

• miles
    replied

Originally posted by Bargaintuan
    I may not be remembering correctly, but doesn't that montage take place over a few hours and not a few days?

I'm just afraid that by slugging each shot in the montage, I'm taking too much space.
    That montage in Tootsie takes place over a few hours or so. Are you trying to do something over a few days?

I personally would try to simplify it and try not to use a montage, if you can. But that's your call. I used one montage in my last script, and it was only three simple lines.

But Optimus is right, maybe just the simple DAY...NIGHT will suffice.

Miles.

Miles
    Last edited by miles; 07-31-2005, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bargaintuan
    replied

Originally posted by miles
    There's that montage in Tootsie. It simply has three lines of description. Boom. That's it. It was something like this:

Hoffman feeds the baby, makes a mess.

He plays with the baby etc.

He's falls asleep, wiped out.

Hope that helps. Somebody please elaborate if I'm being too vague here. Thanks.
    I may not be remembering correctly, but doesn't that montage take place over a few hours and not a few days?

Leave a comment:

• miles
    replied

There's that montage in Tootsie. It simply has three lines of description. Boom. That's it. It was something like this:

Hoffman feeds the baby, makes a mess.

He plays with the baby etc.

He's falls asleep, wiped out.

Hope that helps. Somebody please elaborate if I'm being too vague here. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied

I prefer to write a montage by specifying each scene in the montage, however brief. It's more work that way, but there's no doubt about what's happening.

Leave a comment:

• Optimus
    replied

Originally posted by Bargaintuan
    I've seen several theads on this board endorsing this method of handling montages (or something similar):

EXT. PARK -- DAY

MONTAGE:

END MONTAGE:

But what if the montage occurs over several days and includes day and night scenes? Do you put sluglines in the middle of the montage? Or what?

I would look at scripts, but I'm drawing a blank on films where something like this occurs.
    Eh...I'm not so big a fan of writing montages in scripts as "MONTAGE:" and "END MONTAGE." Granted, I've seen it done, and done effectively, but sometimes it seems like a really cheap device. Often it feels too much like a "get-out-of-writing free" card. But, that's just my opinion.

If you have a few quick scenes that take place over the course of several days, then I'd suggest just writing them as regular quick scenes with regular "DAY" and "NIGHT" slugs.

As simple as this sounds, if you write the scenes effectively, people will get it.

Leave a comment:

• Bargaintuan
    started a topic A montage of day and night scenes?

A montage of day and night scenes?

I've seen several theads on this board endorsing this method of handling montages (or something similar):

EXT. PARK -- DAY

MONTAGE:

END MONTAGE:

But what if the montage occurs over several days and includes day and night scenes? Do you put sluglines in the middle of the montage? Or what?

I would look at scripts, but I'm drawing a blank on films where something like this occurs.
Working...
X