Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral ambiguity

I have just finished a comedy set in present day H'wood and I have a bit of a problem with it which I'm not sure will be a problem for prospective agents, prodcos, etc. In the script the antagonist does the right thing for the wrong reason and the protaganists do the wrong thing for the right reasons. Both sides are pursuing their own goal for their own self serving reasons so there is no higher ideal being sought after here. I thought this blurred the usually well defined line between good and bad and gave the story an unique edge that reflected the moral ambiguity of H'wood. However now that I've read it a second time it just seems comfusing and murky. Is something like this going to be a problem for industry people to understand? Am I shooting too high here? Should I dumb it down a bit?

Thanks in advance,

BTN
    "Only he is an emancipated thinker who is not afraid to write foolish things.-
    -Chekhov

Re: Moral ambiguity

"In the script the antagonist does the right thing for the wrong reason and the protaganists do the wrong thing for the right reasons. Both sides are pursuing their own goal for their own self serving reasons so there is no higher ideal being sought after here." normal

make the stakes important to the charaters and the audience will play along.

do i think you saying your script is muddled and murky and confusing is a good thing? no, that's a bad thing and you wrote it, you should be as familiar with it as anyone.

and i don't see the problem in executed that plan. those stakes are part of the romcom formula.

vig

Comment

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

I accidentally tuned you out after you said "set in present-day Hollywood..."

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy
        I'm sorry, what was the question again?

I accidentally tuned you out after you said "set in present-day Hollywood..."
        Brutal but understandably so...lol

Comment

It's hard to say whether I would care about the stakes without knowing what the stakes are.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
          - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

I wouldn't worry about dumbing it down. That'll be done for you. If it sounds confusing and murky, then have you developed a logline for it? Just for now so you know where you're generally going with it. At least that's what I do.

Comment

Everything in the script is tight. It's only the moral ambiguity of the protags and anatgs that makes it "feel" murky.

Keen Guy...thanks...lotsa help there.

BTN
              -Chekhov

Comment

Miles,

Yeah I have a logline for it. Everything works, plot's tight, characters are likable, engaging and interesting, dialog is snappy and tight, structure is solid, stakes are high enough...it's all there. It's just this little moral thing that troubles me.

BTN
                -Chekhov

Comment

Originally posted by BetterThanNormal
                  Is something like this going to be a problem for industry people to understand? Am I shooting too high here? Should I dumb it down a bit?

Thanks in advance,

BTN

Well, I guess it's only fair that you would ask something so insulting. I mean you should hear what industry people say about aspiring writers.
                  It's a celebration, bitches.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterThanNormal
                    Everything works, plot's tight, characters are likable, engaging and interesting, dialog is snappy and tight, structure is solid, stakes are high enough...it's all there. It's just this little moral thing that troubles me.

BTN
                    One thing I've learned is you can't fake it you can't sell it to yourself.

If it feels, to you, murky and confusing, then it probably is murky and confusing.
                    "So I guess big parts of our youth are supposed to suck. Otherwise we'd get too attached and wake up one day trapped on a hamster wheel that used to look like a merri-go-round." - Hal Sparks

Comment

Well, I guess it's only fair that you would ask something so insulting. I mean you should hear what industry people say about aspiring writers.
                      This assumption is based solely on what I've seen at the theatres lately. But good one!
                      -Chekhov

Comment

Yeah I understand - unfortunately what's in the theater is the product of the entertainment industry types underestimating the public as well.
                        It's a celebration, bitches.

Comment

Yeah I understand - unfortunately what's in the theater is the product of the entertainment industry types underestimating the public as well.
                          Or pandering to the lowest common denominator with the most money.

BTN
                          -Chekhov

Comment

I don't think there's any chance of industry types spotting moral ambiguity.

It would be like a fish noticing water.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronB
                              I don't think there's any chance of industry types spotting moral ambiguity.

It would be like a fish noticing water.
                              LMFAO
                              -Chekhov

Comment

Working...
                              X