Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Would You Do?

Thought it might be interesting to revisit this thread as time has passed post-Katrina. New Orleans has always been one of my favorite cities but I haven't been back in a while.

Anyone have any thoughts or observations to share?... partcularly concerning how far back New Orleans has come and what the city is like now.
    Last edited by tucsonray; 10-26-2009, 07:05 AM.
    Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

I believe David Simon of WIRE fame is actually writing/producing a new series for HBO taking place in current day / post Katrina involving characters in the music scene. I'll all over that!

Comment

Originally posted by odriftwood View Post
        I believe David Simon of WIRE fame is actually writing/producing a new series for HBO taking place in current day / post Katrina involving characters in the music scene. I'll all over that!
        Seems like HBO has as good an eye for quality as anyone in this business... this series sounds totally top shelf.

Comment

I would have no problem setting a story in new Orleans.

I haven't been down there since Katrina hit, but I know they have some VERY aggressive tax incentives to bring in film productions and quite a few stars (Brad Pitt, for example) are hardcore about bringing the city back.

Can only help.

Plus, as has been pointed out - it's a city with a fantastic aesthetic, real mystique. Tons of history. And the Katrina thing can only add thematic elements to a script.

Comment

Originally posted by Exit Stage Right View Post
            When Katrina hit, I was working on the second draft of a script set in New Orleans. The jazz scene in the French Quarter is a central part of the protag's life. Many story elements revolve around the mystique of the city.

What would you do? Finish the script, leaving it in New Orleans? Start rethinking and rewriting it in a different setting? Set it aside and wait to see what happens?

(I hope asking the question doesn't seem self-centered. My heart aches for those people and their problems are certainly far greater than mine.)
            What if you added a bookend story line with the hurricane.

That bitter-sweet touch of forties Hollywood, where a hero remembers something that's long gone?

And you could end it with the first signs of new life sprouting.

It's the circle of life, seen through the eyes of jazz musicians.
            "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Originally posted by odriftwood View Post
              I'm so there.
              "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
              ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by AlabamaBlackSnake View Post
                I'm in the same boat. are you thinking of changing the setting because you think the city will be destroyed when the water is finally removed?

keep it in new orleans, definitely - the jazz scene in the french quarter will never die. although it might smell bad for a year. and where else would you set the story? st. louis? chicago? san francisco? these cities aren't in the same league.
                Memphis?

Comment

Originally posted by tucsonray View Post
                  Thought it might be interesting to revisit this thread as time has passed post-Katrina. New Orleans has always been one of my favorite cities but I haven't been back in a while.

Anyone have any thoughts or observations to share?... partcularly concerning how far back New Orleans has come and what the city is like now.
                  I've not been there post-Katrina but from what I have managed to gather NOLA is at least approaching being halfway back from those darker days. The Ninth Ward remains empty and forlorn, they seem unable to cut a deal with all the landowners to burn the fookin' place (most of the houses are uninhabitable and all are older than dirt).

The Saints are playing regularly in a refurbished SuperDome.

As someone noted the French Quarter is on higher ground and did not suffer flooding (just a load of rain). The airport is up and running at about half its pre-Katrina activity. The city's population is down about 200,000 from it's pre-Katrina days, from 375,000 to 125,000 or in that range, quite a drop to absorb.

The police force still lacks for officers, woefully short.

But I'm sure a movie can be made there and I'm sure it'd be cool to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by FADE IN View Post

But I'm sure a movie can be made there and I'm sure it'd be cool to visit.
                    From what I'm hearing I completely agree... this is a good thing for one of our most unique cities.

Comment

What has happened there will happen again there and in coastal communities the world over. It is timely! Low lying cities and islands are drowning now. This experience is global and will only grow for the decades to come. If you don't take a hard look at it, drag the drama out of it, someone else will.
                      - Michael

Comment

Finish it!! Louisiana has some serious film incentives! It's likely to get made!

Comment

are you kidding?

call Greg Dulli, get f*** up and finish it.
                          a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Working...
                          X