Here are the results for the DD Halloween 2020 contest:
    Code:
    Title - Author                             1st 2nd 3rd Total
    Chug - Anon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .     1   1    3
    Space Jockeys - looneytombs . . . . . . . . 5   1   1   18
    A Gentlemen's Agreement - Mark Twain Weck . 2   2   2   12
    Shamble Inn - Centos. . . . . . . . . . . . 1   2        7
    Toaster - dpaterso. . . . . . . . . . . . .     2   4    8
    Congrats to looneytombs for a runaway win with Space Jockeys and to Mark Twain Weck for grabbing second place with A Gentleman's Agreement.

Thanks to Mark Somers, sc111 and TigerFang for taking time to read and vote! Which gave us more opinions and embiggened the numbers.

1st place vote = 3 points, 2nd = 2 points, 3rd = 1 point. I scrapped the Voting column since all the contestants voted. Any problems with my arithmetic, shout!

Don't be disappointed if you didn't score higher than you hoped for, a different crowd might have produced a different set of votes. It's all about writing to theme and deadline. Thanks for partipating!

Feel free to post any comments you scribbled in this thread and discuss the entries, all thoughts & feedback welcome.

Will we have a Xmas/Yuletide contest? Who knows, it's been a heck of a year, I'll post something after Dec 1st and see what the feeling is.

For posterity, the contest discussion thread is here and the entries thread is here.

Nevermind. On my phone and didn't scroll.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Congratulations to the winners. These were the three I voted for but I changed the order of "Gentleman's Agreement" and "Toaster." I didn't quite see how the introductory part of Gentleman's Agreement went with the rest of the story, but sometimes I can be pretty obtuse. I thought the writing was good in "Chug" but the flow seemed "off" just a bit. That said, all the stories were well written this time -- at least I thought they were.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Yeah gotta agree, all the entries were well written and I enjoyed all of them, choosing between them was splitting hairs.

My votes went like,

1st - Shamble Inn
        2nd - Chug
        3rd - Space Jockeys

And my comments, for what they're worth,

Chug

I enjoyed this, I'm torn between Paul deserving what he gets because he's so dislikeable, and feeling this isn't fair somehow, but meh. Smooth read and I could see the movie, gets a vote.

Space Jockeys

Fun read, had a Calvin & Hobbes vibe, I wasn't really surprised when they flipped up their visors to reveal reptilian faces but it was nonetheless a satisfying story and would make a good short, gets a vote.

A Gentlemen's Agreement

Cute set-up and another fun read, I didn't get a lot out of the ending though, I wanted more interaction with Amy. Just nudged out of the top three by other entries that dinged my bell more.

Shamble Inn

A theme appropriate entry, fun read, I could see the monsters in their dotage, which amoosed me, easily gets a vote.

Toaster

Mine, fun to write, I didn't expect it to score high marks, thanks to those who thought it was worth a vote.

Comment

Thx to those that voted for mine, Space Jockeys. I am hoping when things get more normalized to get it made by some filmmaking pals and enter it in the annual NASA short contest (where they let you use all their space footage for free). Here's my comments on the other entries, all of which were really fun reads that spiced up an otherwise mundane Halloween this year. And after watching the anthology, 10/31 on Amazon I'd go so far as to say our five shorts would have made a better foundation for a Halloween antho.

A Gentlemen's Agreement -- this read like a dark Pixar short, well done!

Toaster - This was a very smart take on modern customer service interactions which might be even more punchy if the human is a "Karen".

Chug --- The one true horror entry with a classic Tales from the Crypt vibe. I'd like to have spent more time in that basement though, that's where it got really darkly interesting.

Shamble Inn --- What scares monsters? Becoming washed up. Fun premise with some very comedic dialogue. I think that fear could have been touched on a little more to bring all the characters together.

Great job everyone. Next year, same place, same bat channel.

Comment

My votes:

1st - Space Jockeys
            2nd - Shamble Inn
            3rd - A Gentlemen's Agreement

All fun stories.
            TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Thanks Mark, and I guess that's it for this year's Halloween contest! Thanks again to all who took part, and to Will for donating the prize!

Comment

Thanks, dpat, for running the contest.

When's the next one?
                TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                  Thanks, dpat, for running the contest.

When's the next one?
                  Quite possibly next month,
                  Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                  Will we have a Xmas/Yuletide contest? Who knows, it's been a heck of a year, I'll post something after Dec 1st and see what the feeling is.
                  Get your elf ears on.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post

Get your elf ears on.
                    But do I need to wear pants too?

TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Working...
                    X