No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDP Logline Throwdown

DDP LOGLINE THROWDOWN

Sunday, April 4, 2021 - Sunday, April 18, 2021 (Midnight)

Genre: Adventure

1st Place (most votes)
    2nd Place (second most votes)
    3rd Place (3rd most votes)
    Honorable Mention (4th most votes)

ENTRY SUBMISSIONS
    Submission deadline: Midnight, Sunday, April 18, 2021
    Loglines must adhere to the required genre (i.e., at least one character should physically or mentally travel somewhere)
    Send entries to "bioprofessor" via DDP messaging
    Three (3) logline submissions per entrant
    Entries published anonymously in the "DDP Logline Throwdown - Entries" thread
    Each logline entry will be assigned a number for voting

VOTING (revised)
    Voting from April 19, 2021 - April 21, 2021
    Send your votes for best three loglines (1st, 2nd and 3rd place) to "bioprofessor" via DDP messaging

Scoring
    1st Place vote = 3 points
    2nd Place vote = 2 points
    3rd place vote = 1 point

Contest results posted in the "Logline Throwdown Results" thread by Friday, April 23, 2021
    Last edited by bioprofessor; 04-16-2021, 05:30 PM.

Just popping the relevant quotes across, so is this a thing, a thing that will happen?

Originally posted by bioprofessor
    Originally posted by Bono

It would have to be same idea and we all would submit a logline... or similar world... like a writing challenge or it will be too different... like rom com... or loglines for movies about cats...
    Yeah, similar to the writing challenges, but more generic, i.e. same genre & theme prompt.

Examples...
    Adventure/escaping the past
    Comedy/facing your fears
    Drama/be who you are (thinking of Prince Harry and Meghan for some reason)

Forbidden (because they've been done to death here): Santa, Easter Bunny, anything Halloween

Any writer worth her salt should have a folder full of concepts/storylines that they could draw from. And yes, this competition word force us to write with theme in mind, something that I think is too often pushed aside around here - especially in the loglines.
    Nobody knows nothing, and I'm nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
      Just popping the relevant quotes across, so is this a thing, a thing that will happen?

Thanks, Dpat. Now do your magic!

Comment

lol what is my magic?

Only thing I've been really good at hereabouts is making people not show up for contests.

Are you going to pick a genre & theme, are peeps going to vote on this?

When does it start? (or has it started?)

Is there a "post your logline entry by..." date?
        Nobody knows nothing, and I'm nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
          lol what is my magic?

Only thing I've been really good at hereabouts is making people not show up for contests.

Are you going to pick a genre & theme, are peeps going to vote on this?

When does it start? (or has it started?)

Is there a "post your logline entry by..." date?
          I suggest Adventure/Escaping your past to kick things off.
          Absent a pro judging panel, DDP members vote for 1st, 2nd, 3rd...
          A two-week window for entries seems reasonable. Start April 7. Deadline April 21.
          I think you're best qualified to set up the entry and voting threads (suggest that you advertise here, the logline forum, and story development.)

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post

I suggest Adventure/Escaping your past to kick things off.
            Absent a pro judging panel, DDP members vote for 1st, 2nd, 3rd...
            A two-week window for entries seems reasonable. Start April 7. Deadline April 21.
            I think you're best qualified to set up the entry and voting threads (suggest that you advertise here, the logline forum, and story development.)

Thanks!
            A few questions for clarification:

Does it have to be a logline the writer has developed previously? If, yes, it may limit entries.

Or, can the writer offer a logline that doesn't have to make sense as a viable movie?

Is "escaping your past" the full extent of the theme allowed?

Or, can the writer further develop it as a thematic question/thematic debate? Example: Can you ever completely escape your past if your past has formed who you are?

Can the Adventure genre include hybrids? Examples: Adventure/Comedy, Adventure/Sci-fi, Adventure/Thriller?

What's the maximum word count for the logline? I ask because a word count discussion in another thread sparked your suggestion for a throw down.
            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Let me make it simple. Post a logline for an adventure movie. Whatever you think that is. Each post just a logline. Nothing else. You can post more than 1. And in 2 weeks, we can all go back and pick our favorites.

Anonymous seems like a lot of work. Just keep posting them. Title. Logline. Nothing else.

No comments until whatever end date. 2 weeks from now?

Below is what i had in mind using a hit movie as example.... So 2 weeks from now we go I liked loglines post 55, 75, and 100 best. Someone can run the voting secret if you want, but this is just made up loglines, so I don't think anyone will be offended...

Comment

THE GOONIES -- A group of young misfits called The Goonies discover an ancient map and set out on an adventure to find a legendary pirate's long-lost treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                  Let me make it simple. Post a logline for an adventure movie. Whatever you think that is. Each post just a logline. Nothing else. You can post more than 1. And in 2 weeks, we can all go back and pick our favorites.

Anonymous seems like a lot of work. Just keep posting them. Title. Logline. Nothing else.

No comments until whatever end date. 2 weeks from now?

Below is what i had in mind using a hit movie as example.... So 2 weeks from now we go I liked loglines post 55, 75, and 100 best. Someone can run the voting secret if you want, but this is just made up loglines, so I don't think anyone will be offended...
                  So which is it, now? Your way or bioprofessor's way?
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Your way SC -- you decide! Take charge.

Comment

It's bioprofessor's idea -- I'll leave it to him.

Comment

Here we go! Sharpen those pens, brothers and sisters! Good luck!
                        🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

DDP LOGLINE THROWDOWN

Sunday, April 4, 2021 - Sunday, April 18, 2021 (Midnight)

Genre: Adventure

1st Place (most votes)
                        2nd Place (second most votes)
                        3rd Place (3rd most votes)
                        Honorable Mention (4th most votes)

🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

ENTRY SUBMISSIONS
                        Submission deadline: Midnight, Sunday, April 18, 2021
                        Loglines must adhere to the required genre (i.e., at least one character should physically or mentally travel somewhere)
                        Send entries to "bioprofessor" via DDP messaging
                        Three (3) logline submissions per entrant
                        Entries published anonymously in the "Logline Throwdown Entries" thread
                        Each logline entry will be assigned a number for voting

VOTING
                        Send your vote (logline number) for "best" logline to "bioprofessor" via DDP messaging
                        Voting will be open from April 19, 2021 - April 21, 2021
                        Ties permitted, i.e. more than one "winner" per placing
                        Contest results posted in the "Logline Throwdown Results" thread by Friday, April 23, 2021
                        Last edited by bioprofessor; 04-03-2021, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Start posting them now... this is the longest contest window in the history of done deal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                            Start posting them now... this is the longest contest window in the history of done deal!!!!!
                            Ok, good suggestion!

Comment

I'm ready to hear who won... my patience for things in this instant twitter world we live in is next to zero.

Comment

Working...
                              X