Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Thanks to bioprofessor for running, and congrats to Bono! My votes were 11,9,2, but again, I thought a lot of these sounded like movies. Much higher batting percentage than other genres - I don't have a theory of why that is.
    I do. Because horror writers probably study/know their genre more than other writers. A new writer will think they can write a comedy or adventure movie, but probably know they don't have enough knowledge to attempt horror. There were like 9 less entries, and those are the people that would have submitted the low-scoring loglines had this been drama. That's my theory!

I voted for Bono's idea for first place. I could totally see it. I also like the Werewolf TV pilot (my second choice) and I think my third choice was Bad Penny.

Congrats to the writers, these were a lot of fun to read and evaluate.

Comment

My picks and some notes - I looked at the loglines as though I were a producer sorting the wheat from the chaff over something that I might want to spend time energy and maybe money on producing

1. invasive I liked the concept and there was more I wanted to know. In my imagination I saw a town untouched by apocalypse and the concept as a stylized western - A slightly Horror/Scifi Shane - on that basis I'd ask to read more

2. bad penny "unaware that she's already dead... and that she's looking for him." Yup, that's what got me. Lot of questions, the answers of which might meld into a good movie. Did he actually kill her. If she's dead what is she? Zombie? Demon? Alien? Possessed?

3. the demon and father john This one seemed a little "old school", which isn't a bad thing, I actually left a few other interesting ideas on the shelf as they seemed too modern or too current (maybe)

So mine "
      THREE MILE WOOD (Feature) - A group of teens try freeing a friend from under the domineering will of her witch of a mother only to discover that she is actually a witch: and a deal her ancestor made with the devil is the real threat."

Learning experience: dpaterso's comment "I kinda hoped the daughter would turn out to be a witch too" was sort of on the money so obviously including that aspect might have garnered me another precious vote. Something to bear in mind maybe for next time I trot this out
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

With "Shakes" I was trying to come up with something that was strictly horror not comedic, not a thriller or crime drama just straight horror. It's not easy.

Here's my rejected horror comedy idea.

"Meow Meow Meow" Boris the cat isn't content with waiting for his elderly owners to just drop dead before getting a real dinner so he expands his world to include the whole of the small town's inhabitants.

Hey! You might do it in your house, but in this house we don't lick our butts. -- Mother Teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post

"Meow Meow Meow" Boris the cat isn't content with waiting for his elderly owners to just drop dead before getting a real dinner so he expands his world to include the whole of the small town's inhabitants.
          Now that might have won.........

I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, once again, bioprof for hosting this competition. And to all the submitters -- such great old-school and modern ideas.

Here's my takeaway from these competitions: Writing a logline that gives just enough info and sometimes (or always?) with a dash of cleverness -- but stops short of overstaying its welcome -- is an acquired skill. If I recall correctly, Jeff placed top three in all these logline contests, right?

To all the writers of this competition's loglines:
            1. How long did you spend writing your logline?
            2. How many drafts did you go through before you were satisfied with it?
            3. And with your years of writing experience, do you now know when your logline is done-ish?
            My votes trended toward the straight-up old school / non-comedic type of horror idea.

First: "The Monster Within" -- reminded me of "The Fly" and "American Werewolf in London"
            Second: "Vacay" -- simple, direct, and would probably rake in a ton o' money
            Third: "Invasive" -- it's like "Witness," but instead of police coming to dispatch the visitor, it's monsters coming to gruesomely kill everyone

One more learning based on the results: Titles with some derivative of devil (e.g., diablo or demon) will score lowest. I shoulda named mine, "The Possession of a Country Priest." Lesson learned.
            Save the date: 2022, 2024, 2026, until the end of time.

Comment

This was in the news today...horror story written all over it, but alas, it comes too late:

Yellowstone National Park officials have launched the first tests of electric vehicles in Yellowstone National Park that are capable of operating without drivers.

The park on Wednesday launched a $360,000 public experiment into the potential future of visitor transportation, unveiling two eight-passenger, cube-shaped vehicles that will be tested at Canyon Village

Canyon Village sits on the right cliff top....what could possibly go wrong being locked in a driverless automated vehicle speeding along next to a 1500 foot deep gorge?

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/images/688_artistspoint.jpg

Yogi and BooBoo always survived, but they were in comedy, not horror.

https://www.hookedupon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/yogi-bear-driving.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ZAZluvr View Post

To all the writers of this competition's loglines:
                1. How long did you spend writing your logline?
                2. How many drafts did you go through before you were satisfied with it?
                3. And with your years of writing experience, do you now know when your logline is done-ish?
                My votes trended toward the straight-up old school / non-comedic type of horror idea.

First: "The Monster Within" -- reminded me of "The Fly" and "American Werewolf in London"
                Second: "Vacay" -- simple, direct, and would probably rake in a ton o' money
                Third: "Invasive" -- it's like "Witness," but instead of police coming to dispatch the visitor, it's monsters coming to gruesomely kill everyone
                I spent much time and many drafts on my entry. At any rate I began with a nerdy bullied character. Then kept expanding the idea into what could be a story. First he just wants to stand up to the bullies and defend himself. Somehow he begins to turn into a flesh eating human monster. at night. Then...

Actually, I'm still confused about the difference between a logline for a story and an idea for a story.

But these throw downs are great for learning and receiving feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post

6 DIABLO (Feature) - A grieving man spearheads a rescue operation on an uninhabited planet only to enter a hunt against genetically-modified beasts that force him to regain his will to live. (figment)
                  ...This all sounds very positive and upbeat, which is perhaps the wrong tone for a horror logline? Less of his personal journey and more of the carnivorous beasts and the screaming people they slaughter could easily have got you a vote. Optionally, his seeking whatever loony toon scientist made these beasts, and for what purpose. So I didn't give it a vote, so sorry, but... if I could choose which logline I'd actually want to see made into a movie -- like if a benevolent studio exec stepped up and said they would finance one movie out of all these entries, and I could pick -- then it's this one, I'm into Sci-Fi, alien planets, monsters.
                  This is an incredibly generous thing to say, especially since I only got one vote -- thanks dpaterson! Fwiw, I actually wrote this several years ago as a sort of "B movie" Alien ripoff that could end up on a streaming service of some sort. It's not something I would normally write (B movie), but sometimes it's nice just to try something new. I had a bunch of loglines for it, but just tossed up the shortest one for this contest. But you're right -- emphasis on the monster would make far more sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X