Next Competition - Fall 2021?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Next Competition - Fall 2021?

    For your consideration...

    Riffing off the Screenwriting Battle short script competition model, writers must fashion their short script (max 7 pages) from a list of three prompt components: 1. Genre, 2. Location, 3. Central object.

    Example:
    Genre prompts: Comedy, Horror, Action, Musical, Western, Noir, Sci-fi
    Location prompts: Beach, Hotel Room, Bakery, Ski Slope, Circus
    Central object prompts: Helicopter, Cake, Yo-Yo, Fish, Hammer, Row Boat, Flashlight

    My prompt choices:
    Genre: Comedy
    Location: Bakery
    Central Object: Row boat

    The screenplay will be a comedy located in or around a bakery, and must include a row boat as a central object.

    Logline: A single mom refuses to let severe street flooding stop her from retrieving her daughter's 16th birthday cake from a local bakery.

  • #2
    Yup sounds fun.

    Sci-fi
    Beach
    Fish
    I heard the starting gun


    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
      Yup sounds fun.

      Sci-fi
      Beach
      Fish
      Thanks, Southern-. JAWS is already taken, lol! If/when we get a critical mass of folks interested, I'll post the "official" prompts to kick things off, probably in early Sept.

      Comment


      • #4
        Den
        Candlestick
        Fish


        Hey! You might do it in your house, but in this house we don't lick our butts. -- Mother Teresa

        Comment


        • #5
          Not sure if we're supposed to pick one from each list (genre, location and central object), or if these just samples and we come up with our own three prompts.
          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Centos View Post
            Not sure if we're supposed to pick one from each list (genre, location and central object), or if these just samples and we come up with our own three prompts.
            Stay tuned. It's just a work in progress for now. What I posted was just an example for folks to get a sense of what the next competition might look like.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post

              Stay tuned. It's just a work in progress for now. What I posted was just an example for folks to get a sense of what the next competition might look like.
              I know I'm going to come across as being over-critical and an ungrateful jerk... but I'm trying to figure out why a short script (no more than 7 pages) should take over two (maybe 2-1/2) months to create?
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Centos View Post

                I know I'm going to come across as being over-critical and an ungrateful jerk... but I'm trying to figure out why a short script (no more than 7 pages) should take over two (maybe 2-1/2) months to create?
                Day jobs, maybe? Also, none of those “I didn't have time” excuses.
                "Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down.- - Ray Bradbury

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post

                  Day jobs, maybe? Also, none of those “I didn't have time” excuses.
                  Okay? ... I guess I don't put as much time into these. It usually takes me about two or three hours to write one. (Once I start to write it. I'll usually let the idea "percolate" in my head for a few hours the day before). I guess I look at these as more of exercises than serious writing. And I think there's something to be said for learning to get your writing out quickly. I, personally, would like to see one of these exercises about two weeks — or at least once a month.
                  STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Or how about “The LeMans Short Script Race,” a 24-hour challenge?
                    "Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down.- - Ray Bradbury

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Must be the forest fires short circuiting communication between us. I’m on summer vacay, fishing, playing baseball, and working in a little writing. I ain’t doin no stinkin contest before Sept!🙂.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post
                        Or how about “The LeMans Short Script Race,” a 24-hour challenge?
                        I like that idea. The only issue is that it would be hard to have a "hard" finish time since writers are from all over the world.
                        STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                          Must be the forest fires short circuiting communication between us. I’m on summer vacay, fishing, playing baseball, and working in a little writing. I ain’t doin no stinkin contest before Sept!🙂.
                          Okay. I see. You sound pretty adamant about that. And, out of curiosity, when did "vacay" become a word? One of the recent short scripts had "Vacay" in the title and I thought they were talking about a Central American city, or something. Never heard the word until that story — the only reason I know what it means now is someone on a radio show used it in context. Now I'm thinking the word should be shortened further to "vay." I want to be ahead of the trend for a change — "On vay. No way."
                          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            New rule, the degree to which you abridge “vacation” must be proportional to the length of your vacation time. Seriously, it’s been a crazy tough year for everyone. We all deserve a vaasaacaaaation!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              <sigh> Summer's drawing to a close (for us in the northern hemisphere). So, what are we doing about this? Loglines? 5-pagers? Haikus?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X