Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween contest 2021

'Tis time for the funnest contest of them all, Halloween, when stars and planets hurry to align and the veil between realms becomes thinnest, inviting unspeakable things to reach through into our world and fiddle with our imaginations.

You are invited to write and submit 8 pages* by close of day Thursday 28th October. That'll give us 3 days to read the entries and vote. Why before Halloween? Because after Halloween, the spark of enthusiasm will die and everyone will wander away.

When you're finished creating your masterpiece, export text or PDF file and send to dpaterson57 at gmail.com

You don't have to use Halloween motifs and tropes if you don't want to, although that is kind of what the contest is all about and what readers might expect to find. Summon a demon after midnight tonight under the light of the pale moon and ask them for advice on this if you're unsure.

Perhaps you might indicate your interest by replying here, so we'll have an idea of whether the contest will run or not.

* that's 8 pages maximum... your entry can be shorter if you prefer.

For posterity, the entries thread is here and the results thread is here.
    Last edited by dpaterso; 11-01-2021, 02:37 AM. Reason: links added

I'll bloody well give it a shot.
    TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

I'm in!

bioprofessor's rank amateur tips:

1. Get in late, leave early... https://vimeo.com/109395473 https://vimeo.com/508311119
      2. Tell a story! This is a short script contest (not excerpted scenes from a full length feature).
      3. Related to #1 and #2, note character count in linked videos.
      Last edited by bioprofessor; 10-02-2021, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Okay, I think I'm in...finally looks like I can manage writing time after a year of demanding hours at my day job. Looking forward to it.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Yep I'm in.
          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I'm slow, what is this contest? A horror Halloween contest? Or anything to do with the holiday, so it can be an action-comedy set on Halloween? I never entered before. I was too scared. (read -- lazy)

Comment

Well, someone has to come in last. It might as well be me. One entry each this time?
              Last edited by Centos; 10-02-2021, 09:30 PM.
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Well done all, looking forward to seeing your entries. You've got... 25 days? ...to think of something. That'll fly in quickly, I bet. Something happens to linear time as Halloween approaches.

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                I'm slow, what is this contest? A horror Halloween contest? Or anything to do with the holiday, so it can be an action-comedy set on Halloween? I never entered before. I was too scared. (read -- lazy)
                Imagine if there was some easy way to check out previous contests and see the kinds of entries they attracted! Or save yourself some clicking and write whatever you like. Although as the top post says, "You don't have to use Halloween motifs and tropes if you don't want to, although that is kind of what the contest is all about and what readers might expect to find."

Comment

Thought some folks might enjoy the "behind the scenes" look at making one of the Halloween horror short films I referenced in post #3. This couple has made several films inside their apartment with DIY gear. The software they use to render and edit excites and mystifies me.

https://vimeo.com/109521226.
                  Last edited by bioprofessor; 10-03-2021, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I'm in. But I'm writing about Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                      Thought some folks might enjoy the "behind the scenes" look at making one of the Halloween horror short films I referenced in post #3. This couple has made several films inside their apartment with DIY gear. The software they use to render and edit excites and mystifies me.

Good stuff.

Comment

Since this is like Done Deal's Nicholl Contest, I'll participate. :-)

Comment

Bio, this is fantastic and it's about 4 1/2 min, so half of what we need to write. The lighting set up is fascinating how it changes the look and feel. thanks for sharing.
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

Bio, this is fantastic and it's about 4 1/2 min, so half of what we need to write. The lighting set up is fascinating how it changes the look and feel. thanks for sharing.
                            Glad you enjoyed it. Vimeo is a wonderful resource for filmmakers. I find these technical behind the scenes vids helpful as a writer, because they give me a sense of economy - the importance of keeping the words, scenes, characters, etc., on the page as simple as possible, which ultimately makes things clearer for the creators and audience.

As I understand it, the Halloween contest page limit is 8, but there's no minimum page requirement. So, you can submit a killer 5 page story and win! (D'pat, please correct me if this is wrong)

Comment

As I understand it, the Halloween contest page limit is 8, but there's no minimum page requirement. So, you can submit a killer 5 page story and win! (D'pat, please correct me if this is wrong)
                              Indeed! It says just that in the top post!

Comment

Working...
                              X