Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script Prompt "Challenge" (#1?)

More or less random script prompts. A scene or short of about 5 pages. Needs to use all five prompts and they need to be integral to the story. Can be posted any time, as many as you want. No votes or deadlines. Just a chance to write something. If these prompts are too stupid let me know (or you can start your own prompt challenge). I'll post something with these prompts, stupid or not — I have no idea what it will be at this point — probably something stupid, I excel at that.

The prompts...
    • A box of Cracker Jacks
    • Gunshots in the distance
    • A character who only says, "You betcha'"
    • A skipping record
    • Moss
    Good luck. (If you need help formatting for this forum, let me know.)
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Who came up with these stupid prompts? I think I've finally worked out an idea, though. Hopefully not too stupid. I'll try to post it by tomorrow.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
      More or less random script prompts. A scene or short of about 5 pages. Needs to use all five prompts and they need to be integral to the story. Can be posted any time, as many as you want. No votes or deadlines. Just a chance to write something. If these prompts are too stupid let me know (or you can start your own prompt challenge). I'll post something with these prompts, stupid or not — I have no idea what it will be at this point — probably something stupid, I excel at that.

The prompts...
      • A box of Cracker Jacks
      • Gunshots in the distance
      • A character who only says, "You betcha'"
      • A skipping record
      • Moss
      Good luck. (If you need help formatting for this forum, let me know.)
      Great writing exercise idea. IMHO, Not at all stupid.

I do like the fact that without a deadline I can put this off forever.. But of course I shouldn't.

I've been following Michael Jamin on tic toc and youtube and he points out that until a writer can write a character piece, that this exercise may suggest, a writer isn't going to be taken seriously for big stuff, even Marvel type stuff. That's how I'm going to approach this exercise. But then again I do like writing goofy shit.

Thanks, Centos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post

Great writing exercise idea. IMHO, Not at all stupid.

I do like the fact that without a deadline I can put this off forever.. But of course I shouldn't.

I've been following Michael Jamin on tic toc and youtube and he points out that until a writer can write a character piece, that this exercise may suggest, a writer isn't going to be taken seriously for big stuff, even Marvel type stuff. That's how I'm going to approach this exercise. But then again I do like writing goofy shit.

Thanks, Centos.
        I've figured out how to use all the prompts in my short, now I actually have to try to write it. I haven't been doing much of that lately.

I'm looking forward to your scene and/or short. Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

So much for getting something done quickly. I'm now working on trying to come up with five ideas, each one emphasizing one of the five prompts. I figure if I can procrastinate on one idea, I might as well procrastinate on five ideas. Sometimes it's important think to "outside of the box" when you're planning your procrastinations.

Comment

INT. RECORD SHOP - DAY

MOSS works behind the desk. He's eating cracker jacks while reading a magazine... A record plays in the distance... then it starts to skip. It gets stuck on a "gunshot" sound and another employee DEREK dives on the floor.

MOSS: It's just the record player skipping again, Derek.

Moss goes over and turns it off.

MOSS: Are you okay, man?

DEREK: You betcha!

MOSS: I can't believe you were scared of a record player. I mean we work in the most dangerous part of town, you think you'd be worried about people breaking in and shooting us --

Just then, ROBBERS break in and demand all the money.

ROBBERS: Don't be stupid. Give me all your money.

MOSS: See, now that's something to worry about.

Derek hits the floor again.

Moss without making eye contact, opens the register and hands them the money. He's still eating his cracker jacks.

MOSS: Did you guys see this? Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake are fighting. Sad. I always thought they would make it.

ROBBERS: Shutup. Now count to hundred and don't move.

DEREK: You betcha!

The Robbers run out of the store.

MOSS: I'm going to go on lunch. Leave a note for Bob that we got robbed again.

Moss leaves... while Derek quietly counts to himself.

END SCENE

Comment

I’ll play

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17-p...w?usp=drivesdk

Comment

Bono, Satriales, you guys are great and awesome writers. I am now really going to take advantage of the non deadline.

Thanks, again. I do look forward to reading other folks' pages.

Oh yea., and where are your pages Centos? And thanks for hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                  INT. RECORD SHOP - DAY
                  Sorry I've been gone. Thanks for writing this (much more than I've done). I liked Moss' nonchalant reaction to the robbery. I guess naming a character Moss fulfills the moss requirement... kind of. I appreciate this.

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this thread. I do have five ideas down (each highlighting one of the five elements), but can't seem to get up the gumption to write any of them. (Pretty much how it's been for the last year plus.)

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                    Very intense and descriptive writing. My ignorance plays against me a little as I don't know what "Daguerreotype" means — and the references to "American Gothic" and "Minnesota Nice" are lost on me, but I think I get point anyhow. Not sure how the razor blade got into a sealed box of Cracker Jacks but the effect is dramatic. Good writing. Thanks for posting and I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to this.

Hopefully I can post one of my stupid ideas sooner rather than later.

Comment

I had to google it. Satriales read too many books as a child!

The daguerreotype was the first commercially successful photographic process (1839-1860) in the history of photography. Named after the inventor, Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre, each daguerreotype is a unique image on a silvered copper plate.​

Comment

I wrote that page because I'm not afraid of looking like a fool. Or a bad writer. I think I have talent, but the chances the current page or pages I just wrote are bad is ALWAYS ON MY MIND because it's what writers do.

Don't be afraid to look like a fool. Post some writing.

Comment

Don't be afraid to look like a fool. Post some writing.
                          I'm not afraid of looking like a fool (proof being all the stupid stuff I've posted here in the past). I'm just deeply stuck in procrastinate mode and don't seem to be able to break out of it. I did post something on Reddit on New Year's Day but I can't even remember what it was about right now. (I remember it was pretty bad and I got zero feedback.) I'll have to look that up, I can't remember what I wrote at all... (which is weird in itself)...

...Found it. Now I understand why I put it out of mind. It was called "The Calendar." Maybe I'll post it on the Feedback Forum. That would definitely prove I'm not afraid of looking like a fool.

Comment

I didn't even mean it that way... I meant don't be afraid in at least private to write crappy pages. We all do it.

Comment

I didn't even mean it that way... I meant don't be afraid in at least private to write crappy pages. We all do it.
                              Uh, oh. I've already posted it to prove a point and EVERYONE is going to know it was your fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X