Randomly Chosen Loglines Writing Challenge!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randomly Chosen Loglines Writing Challenge!

I'm not in.

I don't want an agent.
    http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
      I'm not in.

I don't want an agent.
      I suppose I could use an agent, but quite frankly (if you'll pardon the pun) I'm totally turned off by each of these "loglines". Much as I'd like to participate, none of these do anything for me or my so-called "wacky side".

Sorry.
      "That's a good idea, Homer, but they've already made a movie about World War II."

Comment

I have to agree... I can't reall come up with anything that I actually want to write that would follow any of these ideas :-( sorry, Priya!

Comment

I will be entering.

Guys, if you can't get into a five-page short because you don't like any of the loglines, then it will interesting to see how you handle a paid assignment offer with just one logline/premise.

Come on. It'll be fun.
          "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

I'll try, but I have another competition this week. Someone just told me I have to start over because I strayed too far from suspense and into thriller.

What's the difference between suspense and thriller anyway?

Anyway, I'll do my best
            Last edited by IndieMe; 01-17-2007, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ylekot43 View Post
              I will be entering.

Guys, if you can't get into a five-page short because you don't like any of the loglines, then it will interesting to see how you handle a paid assignment offer with just one logline/premise.

Come on. It'll be fun.
              I accept your offer of payment.
              "That's a good idea, Homer, but they've already made a movie about World War II."

Comment

Originally posted by IndieMe
                Someone just told me I have to start over because I strayed too far from suspense and into thriller.
                What's the difference between suspense and thriller anyway?
                Didn't Hitchcock say that suspense is the slow-burning anticipation that comes with the audience's knowing exactly what's about to happen next, while the characters don't know? And thriller relies on the audience's not knowing what will befall the characters in the next minute as they get deeper and deeper into trouble -- yet knowing full well that something must go horribly wrong? Or something like that.

Google, do your thing... hmm... yeah, here:
                Mystery vs. Suspense Thriller Book Genres

-Derek

Comment

Originally posted by ylekot43 View Post
                  I will be entering.

Come on. It'll be fun.
                  I agree and it is actually easier to swallow when someone pays (or at least promises to down the line) ... honestly my plate JUST filled up last night with a real live paying feature-length gig so I need to focus my attention on that. I do enjoy the challenges of being constrained by a narrow subject, maybe I'm just rusty as none of the ones offered really did anything for me. Anyways, have fun!

Comment

Wenonah's the only one with a real excuse! (Yay Wen!)

If you don't like the "loglines," don't enter. Simple as that. I just thought this would be fun. And I tacked on the "prize" because I was feeling nice. Doesn't happen often. If people don't enter, that's cool. Less work for me!
                    "I believe that discrimination exists in Hollywood, but ... its much less of an obstacle then poor writing, poor marketing, poor networking and being a whiny little bitch." -- JKK

Comment

I'm so in I can't see a way out.
                      One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by wenonah
                        ... honestly my plate JUST filled up last night with a real live paying feature-length gig
                        Go Wenonah!

Priya - where do the scripts go? Here? You?

-Derek

Comment

Originally posted by frankts1 View Post
                          I accept your offer of payment.
                          See the "1 dollar option" thread.
                          "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

I came up with a another idea last night. I might do two. Can't believe I actually outlined a comedy...it seemed funny last night, we'll see though.
                            sigpic

Comment

End Of An Era

An accountant learns the world is going to end...ugh short and sweet but written at 2 in the morning with the flu and with beer in the system (peer pressure)

Code:
                              FADE IN:

INT. OFFICE BUILDING - DAY

A sea of cubicles line from wall to wall. 

Sweaty, red face suit monkey's furiously tap away at
                                             computers, shuffle through paperwork and pound away on
                                             calculators.

One of the cubicles is empty. A framed picture of a fat cat
                                             is the only personal item among the office paraphernalia.

A clock on the wall ticks over to noon. Everyone freezes,
                                             exhausted faces on the clock.

INT. HARVEY'S HOUSE - DAY

The entire house has been emptied of all furniture...all
                                             belongings...all life.

HARVEY, late 40's timid and looking like he's carrying the
                                             weight of the world on his shoulders, flits in and out of
                                             the room with a cardboard box.

A phone on the counter rings...switches to answering
                                             machine.

MAN'S VOICE (O.S.)
                                                           (on answering machine)
                                                       Harvey it's Jack. Look...I know
                                                       I'm going to sound like a prick
                                                       but we really need you at the
                                                       office. There's way too much -

Harvey pulls the phone and the answering machine out of
                                             their sockets and dumps them into the cardboard box.

EXT. HARVEY'S BACKYARD - DAY

Harvey bends down in front of a large hatch lid and
                                             swallows the lump in his throat.

He glances up at the pristine blue sky...waves sadly at it.

INT. HATCH - DAY

Harvey climbs down a long ladder. He steps onto the
                                             metallic floor, glances around.

All his household belongings clutter the dim lit room. A
                                             fat cat lolls around on a chair.

He checks his watch...quarter past twelve.

INT. HATCH - LATER

Harvey slumps down in a chair...picks up a newspaper
                                             clipping from a box and checks his watch. It reads five
                                             past midnight.

HARVEY
                                                       So...Happy New Year's I guess.

And on the newspaper clipping a headline reads...

"Y2K. END OF AN ERA?"

FADE OUT:

THE END
                              One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it. - French Proverb

Comment

In The Groove

Oops! I meant "In A Grove."

OzFade, was that five pages, ("No more, no less")? Harbinger, (not Habronic, as originally posted), may be readying to pounce. (See post #31 in this thread, eh.) I cannot find a proper way to convert MM files to a proper "code," (as you've managed), anyways, but this should fit. It's five pages according to my MM, (and I could trim the parentheticals for argument's sake)!

"9. A knight, a masseuse, and a bug-eyed monster give conflicting reports to the police in a forest."

IN A GROVE

ON BLACK

CUE MUSIC: "DANGER AHEAD" (a.k.a. "DRAGNET MARCH")

NARRATOR
                                The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

JAPANESE POLICEMAN
                                It was Wednesday, January seventeenth--

FADE IN:

EXT. RAJO-MON GATE - NIGHT

Rain pours down upon a tiled roof and overflows the gutters.

JAPANESE POLICEMAN
                                --It was raining in Kyoto.

A drainpipe, in the form of an oriental dragon's mouth, spits a steady stream of rainwater upon the helmet of a drenched Japanese policeman, KATO, in feudal garb.

KATO
                                I was working the night watch out of Rajo-mon. My name's Kato. I'm the policeman who cracked the case of the waylaid Log-Lion.

Six NINJA assassins ride their unicycles, from the country road into the shelter of the city's southern gate. One of the ninjas spots Kato and rides up to him.

FIRST NINJA
                                Hey, you a cop?

KATO
                                (smiles, bows to ninjas)
                                Hai!

SECOND NINJA
                                Hi, to you, too! But--
                                (emphasizing each word)
                                Are-- you-- a-- cop?

KATO
                                Hai! I am a policeman.

FIRST NINJA
                                You'd better haul your ass down the road. There's a samurai, with a dagger in his back, but it's not one of ours.

THIRD NINJA
                                Nice lookin' dagger, tho.

FOURTH NINJA
                                We're on our way to the Kyoto Comedy Talent Show.

KATO
                                Hai! That figures.

FIFTH NINJA
                                We're gonna kill 'em!

KATO
                                Hai?

SIXTH NINJA
                                Have you heard the one about the father-in-law of a prince, who runs out of gas and ends up in a fantasy world, in a Mexican town?

Kato smiles, bows.

KATO
                                (laughs heartily)
                                Hai! That's a funny one.

EXT. FOREST GROVE - DAY

Kato follows the road through the woods.

KATO
                                I walked all night to find the crime scene.
                                (giggles)
                                I wonder if those ninjas ever heard the story about the idealistic waiter, the thoughtful football coach, and the short housekeeper in their search for the Fountain of Youth?

Beautiful MASAJO's mournful moan pierces the morning mist.

MASAJO
                                Oh, woe is me!

KATO
                                Your name is O-Wo? My name is Kato. I am a policeman.

MASAJO
                                My name is Masajo. I am a masseuse, and a bug-eyed monster mauled my master, Takehiro, a samurai, last night.

Kato pulls out a notepad and readies his pencil.

KATO
                                Just the facts, m'am. Who take-e your hero? Which mall? For massage-o? Was he really the last samurai?

MASAJO
                                That horrible Log-Lion bandit attacked my Takehiro--

KATO
                                Just the facts, m'am. Describe him.

MASAJO
                                He was your height.

KATO
                                Hai.

MASAJO
                                Height?

KATO
                                Hai. How tall was he?

Masajo looks behind herself at the samurai TAKEHIRO, who lies on his stomach with a dagger protruding from his back. Takehiro groans and struggles to look up at Masajo and Kato.

MASAJO
                                He's much taller when he stands up.

Kato draws his sword from its scabbard with one hand, and shoves Masajo aside, knocking her down, with the other hand.

KATO
                                Drop your weapon, hot shot!

TAKEHIRO
                                (pointing to Masajo)
                                She's lying.

Kato glances over at Masajo, who massages her rump, upon which she fell. Takehiro collapses with a death rattle.

KATO
                                Hai. She's lying there, and I'm placing you under arrest.
                                (turns to face Takehiro)
                                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say to me can be used as evidence in a court of law.

Takehiro remains motionless, silent, and quite dead.

KATO
                                Do you understand this right? With this in mind, do you wish to speak to me?

The bandit, known as the LOG-LION, emerges from behind a large log. His filthy clothes resemble matted fur, his unkempt hair resembles a lion's mane, and he has big bug-eyes.

LOG-LION
                                If Takehiro won't talk, I will. Masajo laid him low with a fatal blow by that long blade in this green glade.

KATO
                                (scribbling in his notebook)
                                Hai! Hey! Not so fast, hot shot!

Masajo pulls the dagger out of Takehiro's back.

MASAJO
                                I'll hear your roar, Log-Lion!

INT. COURTYARD - DAY

Kato bows before an elderly Japanese MAGISTRATE, the BAILIFF, and the COURT CLERK.

KATO
                                Your honor, I have also brought four other witnesses who saw the murder.

MAGISTRATE
                                (to the bailiff)
                                Has this anything to do with that silly plaintiff and those four charming tap-dancers?

BAILIFF
                                No, your honor, that case has met with immense obstacles before the appeals court in Edo.

KATO
                                These men are video-game programmers, your honor, not tap-dancers.

Four VIDEO-GAME PROGRAMMERS, in feudal garb but wearing thick eyeglasses and pocket protectors, enter and bow to the magistrate and to the bailiff.

MAGISTRATE
                                So you fellows can't dance?

VIDEO-GAME PROGRAMMERS
                                (in unison)
                                Hai! That's a virtual fact.

MAGISTRATE
                                Yes, you can dance, or yes, you can't dance? Its virtue is not in question.

VIDEO-GAME PROGRAMMERS
                                (in unison)
                                Hai! Yes, we can't dance.

The Bailiff hands the Magistrate a note, which, when read, shocks the Magistrate.

MAGISTRATE
                                I've heard enough. The prisoner is guilty.
                                (quietly to the bailiff)
                                According to my accountant, we're already on the fifth page, and this world is about to come to its end.

The Court Clerk rises and reads from a scroll.

COURT CLERK
                                On January twenty-third, trial was held in the castle courtyard, by the chief magistrate of Kyoto prefecture. Here are the results of that trial.

INT. PRISON - DAY

Masajo squirms uncomfortably under glaring lights.

BAILIFF (O.S.)
                                Masajo was tried and convicted of homicide in the first degree and received sentence as prescribed by law. Murder in the first degree is punishable by a period of not less than twenty years in the prefecture penitentiary.

FADE OUT:

P.S. There's a video available on-line with a similar story-line, here. And, Harbinger wasn't too far away!
                                Last edited by Fortean; 01-17-2007, 12:17 PM.
                                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Working...
                                X