Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise

Screenwriters of Done Deal, lend me your ears...

Did that grab your attention? Did it?

Okay, so I had this idea, and that's all it is at this moment in time, an idea. This post is just to gauge interest and find out whether there's enough people willing to participate in said idea.

I can hear you all screaming now, "What's the idea?". Don't worry, I'm about to get to it.

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but there are times when I just don't write, and it's not that I can't write, it's just that I don't want to, and then when I do actually get around to writing, I write SLOW, and I always find things to distract me (Done Deal, Facebook, etc). I'm sure I can't be alone in this. Please tell me I'm not!

It looks like we've missed out on ScriptFrenzy for this year, and I'm not aware of any other similar writing contests that aim at the same thing. So what I'm proposing is that a group of us - no set number, the more the merrier - take part in a little ScriptFrenzy-esque writing exercise. Write a script, from scratch, in 30 days.

At the end of those 30 days all of us will hopefully have something that resembles a 110 (or less, or more) page screenplay. And it probably won't be perfect, but at least you'll be able to pat yourself on the back, congratulate yourself, safe in the knowledge that for one month, you did something productive, instead of just procrastinating. And the exercise will also help with trying to stick to deadlines, something that we'll all have to deal with when we eventually (and I've got faith) get through the seemingly impossible-to-penetrate doors of Hollywood.

So there you have it, that's the idea. Like I said, this is just to gauge interest and gather ideas from people. Let me know what you think.

Re: Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise

I've already told David that I'm in. Aug is good for me. I have a couple of ideas I could do quickly.

Writing a script quickly is something I've been trying to get better at. I tend to drag things out.

This should be fun.

Who else is in?

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

It would work if the pay-off was right. We're talking about features right?
      sigpic

Comment

Yep, features, Adam.

Comment

I'd join in, brotha, if I didn't have so much rewriting to do.

Have fun, guys.

Corona
          I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
          I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

I was thinking...

The original Script Fenzy is only 14 days, right? That's an extremely tight schedule.

But is 30 days too long a time frame?

Maybe something in btwn like 20 days. It would make it more feverish & give less time for the ADD to set in.

Whatever. 30 days is good if that's what it's going to be. 1 month is a nice round time frame.

And maybe, to make it interesting... if we get enough people involved... the people who make it to the end (only the finishers!) could post their logline (or synopsis), so that other DDers can judge them & pick the best.

So there would be 2 prizes: the satisfaction of finishing a script, & being voted the best concept.

Or not...

Just some thoughts...

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

ScriptFrenzy is 30 days, isn't it? I think it's 30 days.

Good idea on the posting logline/synopsis, stvnlra.

Comment

I just checked. You're right-- 30 days. I think i got it confused with another frenzy-type "contest".

Okay, 30 days it is!

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

You people are lucky I'm in re-write hell; otherwise...

I'd be in on some of this.

Next time, I'll come prepared for the challenge.

Good luck to all the contestants!

umo
                  Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

This could be perfect for me. I all ready have the outline done for my next script. But, the mind wanders when I try to sit down and actually write the script.

I may be in...
                    Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

If we do this in August, I might play, depending on my schedule. My goal is to finish my current script by the end of July, if I had to write another one starting August 1, that would sure be motivation to get this one wrapped up!

I started Script Frenzy this year, but my outline wasn't very tight and I fell into a plot hole that I couldn't figure a way out of until I was so far behind I didn't have it in me to try to catch up.

Comment

If it doesn't have to be great, then I'm in. Pressure is good. I usually do well under it.

What should it be about or is it free choice?

Comment

Free choice, Indie.

Comment

I'm in it to win it. Doubler. And guess what Script I'mma enter into this bad boy.
                            I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Okay, so I'm thinking if we do this from August 1st to August 30th, would that be good for people? That way you guys could use the whole of July to outline your potential scripts.

And going off what stvnlra said...

And maybe, to make it interesting... if we get enough people involved... the people who make it to the end (only the finishers!) could post their logline (or synopsis), so that other DDers can judge them & pick the best.
                              Are people happy with that?

Regardless, I'll be doing this in August anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X