Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Results - Halloween 2013 contest

Oooh that makes more sense, gotcha. Ignore my dumb.
    Check out the entries in the Logline Throwdown thread in Writing Exercises forum

Comment

Mark, who's next in line and interested in a read at Benderspink? If there are no other takers, I feel it would be a good move to give that oppo to Bio, he's been plugging away at these little affairs, and his own scripts for a while now, so that would be fine and dandy, and a just move.
      Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Discussion time over? I hope everyone got something out of the reader comments. Yeah I'd re-do mine a little differently!
        Check out the entries in the Logline Throwdown thread in Writing Exercises forum

Comment

I'm good. That was fun. Good chance to work outside the comfort zone in genre and length. Looking forward to the next one. Thanks for running this DPat and Road.
          SL35
          Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

bioprofessor, it is then.

Congratulations and Good Luck.

Mark

Hey! You might do it in your house, but in this house we don't lick our butts. -- Mother Teresa

Comment

If nothing else, this one probably gave the writers a small taste of what it's like to be on the reader end of a contest...

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                Discussion time over? I hope everyone got something out of the reader comments. Yeah I'd re-do mine a little differently!
                I realized I should probably take another look at Mating Call because apparently more stuff was going on there than I realized.

This isn't meant to be a knock against the voting system and I don't expect that everyone has the time, but feedback, even short, one sentence feedback is where it's at here as far as I'm concerned. Not only is it just fun to discuss, but I feel there are some entries that are otherwise solid and interesting, but they just don't fall into that realm of a top three. For me, The Bell was one of those and I see that it got 0 votes, so some discussion of something like that might get the writer to realize it wasn't a "last place" entry or whatever.

Also, on a personal level, I knew my entry (Molly) was disgusting and pushing the limits of taste and could imagine how that could hurt its chances. I'm good with that justification for not giving it a top three score, but when I see the reasoning being along the lines of "Too disgusting for me..." that's kind of a "win" in my book since that's what I was kind of going for. For all I know the writer that had the kid/aliens messing around might have been going for shock, or conversely, maybe he wasn't and that feedback was a total surprise. Either way, at least the writer can take away that they achieved what they were going for regardless of where they placed in the "contest" which is way more valuable to writers trying to hone their skills.
                On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

It's funny you mention Molly; I voted it in second place. And I'm not really a fan of body-horror/gross-out stuff, but my reasoning was that you'd set out to do that, and then completely went for it. I have to agree that comments along the lines of 'too gross' are almost missing the point.

As for feedback, I did write out a list similar to Jai et al, however I didn't bother posting as most of the points I made have cropped up elsewhere. Or they were so vague as to probably be unhelpful to the writers. So I made general comments that really did apply across the range - to my amateur eyes nobody's script felt particularly inferior, and like many others I found there were several scripts I liked but just didn't 'pop' enough to hit the top three.

Maybe - and I haven't thought this through, so it might be stupid - you could tweak the scoring system depending on number of entries. So if there's under 15, you pick top 3; 16-20, top 4; 21-25, top 5. Or maybe stick with top 3, plus a joker, a kind of 'fascinating failure' prize for something that's just interesting without necessarily being a complete package.

If people are still coming here then I can dig out the feedback I did as I read and post that up.

JJ.
                  My stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post
                    Also, on a personal level, I knew my entry (Molly) was disgusting and pushing the limits of taste and could imagine how that could hurt its chances. I'm good with that justification for not giving it a top three score, but when I see the reasoning being along the lines of "Too disgusting for me..." that's kind of a "win" in my book since that's what I was kind of going for. For all I know the writer that had the kid/aliens messing around might have been going for shock, or conversely, maybe he wasn't and that feedback was a total surprise. Either way, at least the writer can take away that they achieved what they were going for regardless of where they placed in the "contest" which is way more valuable to writers trying to hone their skills.
                    I didn't think it was too disgusting. I just felt like you (I hate myself for saying this), beat that joke to death. Molly goes from screaming as the worm comes out to cuddling them in the end. I couldn't tell if she expected that or if the sperm caused it, or what. It just went from OMG to My Precious over night . I think you would have been better off exploring her response to that discovery than making sperm jokes. I thought the set up and characters were very well done. It just seemed like the middle was missing.
                    Just my thoughts.
                    Last edited by Silverlynx35; 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM. Reason: Because my spelling sucks.
                    SL35

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
                      If nothing else, this one probably gave the writers a small taste of what it's like to be on the reader end of a contest...
                      Yes. A good reminder of how subjective readers can be. 10 different entries received first pace votes, 14 different ones got second place votes. I think it's encouraging to see that if some people don't "get it", others do. You just have to keep working to find the right people, while improving your work.
                      SL35

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                        I didn't think it was too disgusting. I just felt like you (I hate myself for saying this), beat that joke to death. Molly goes from screaming as the worm comes out to cuddling them in the end. I couldn't tell if she expected that or if the sperm caused it, or what. It just went from OMG to My Precious over night . I think you would have been better off exploring her response to that discovery than making sperm jokes. I thought the set up and characters were very well done. It just seemed like the middle was missing.
                        Just my thoughts.
                        Ah, "beat." Why didn't I think of that one? I'm also kicking myself for not including something like "Could be it's permanent."

Anyhoo, I'm not disagreeing with anyone's critiques. They are all right on the money, shot from the hip.

My point was that it's helpful to write something and tell yourself before you submit it, "Hmmm, these jokes are probably too much for some people, if they even get them at all" or "This midsection's thin or confusing and people probably want more character here, but I do have these 8 pages to contend with and a lot of story that I want to tell" or "Maybe I'm not crazy about this ending" and then hear from people that read your stuff that they had the same issues that you were worried about. That's good feedback for any writer even if they're also saying your stuff sucked and wasn't for them.

In other words, it's always better to get the feedback and some kind of explanation and not just a ranking. And it's always better, at least in my mind, to have an idea of where your weaknesses are going to be before you let someone read your work. My problem is, I need to go to the next level and trust my instincts on what sections feel like they need more clarity or development and take the time to fix it.
                        On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

I had a writer friend who'd gather in feedback from 5 or 6 readers, and if the same point kept cropping up , he'd just say to himself: maybe there's a problem, but as the writer, it's still his show, he just has to work out what is happening, this wasn't the same thing as saying, it's right, that dialogue, passage, etc, has to go. It was just, Houston, we may have a problem!

I believe that was a very sober and sensible reaction, otherwise, there's a danger that you always match your writing to the subjective viewpoint of others, and that may create problems, for you, somewhere down the line.

That said, I'm not saying that all writing is good writing and it's just a big subjective minefield, but that you have to learn how to interpret feedback, without absorbing any of the negatives.

The more feedback we get, however, the better, as there is more to think about and pick over.
                          Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Earth - I thought your writing on Molly came through clear as a bell. But it was too disgusting for me. I think that is also a part of screenwriting - it's not art for art's sake - it's commercial writing. We're doing something to sell tickets and put butts in seats.
                            I'll freely admit my tastes aren't sophisticated and horror isn't my genre at all, but I think that the ultimate judge of a good script is - "would I watch this movie."

Comment

Working...
                            X