This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Exercise Forum

We have set this forum up to allow the community to practice for upcoming writing competitions and or to improve their writing skills via writing exercises.

This will be a temporary forum for now. Please do not create an exercise or challenge to simply joke around. If you have a serious and well-intended exercise then feel free to present it.

Thanks so much!

Comment

I appreciate the guidelines and agree these exercises should be to encourage growth, only.

If you want bragging rights, sell something.

Comment

Could someone specify what, exactly, the guidelines are?

Comment

I haven't set up any grand formal guidelines since this really isn't my idea. Basically this forum is one in which you can present a writing challenge or exercise to your fellow screenwriters. When you do, which a couple of people have already shown interest in doing, then please set up the "rules," deadline, etc. for it then. It could be patterned after an upcoming contest, or something you've seen somewhere else and thought worked well. It's all fairly informal.

The only general guidelines I can throw out at this time would be, again please don't come up with some ridiculous scene for others to write just to humor yourself. If you can create a challenge in which others will hopefully grow from writing say a three age scene that puts a lot of emphasis on subtext, or one where a certain character's past is revealed by their actions, and so on then great.

Please try to steer away from the general taboos that push too many buttons -- we've all seen how that can get out of hand. But other than that the exercise could be for a comedy or a thriller, or whatever you like. You can provide the characters then set the scene and action. Or vice versa. Be creative.

As we see issues or problem come up we can address them then.

Comment

I think that this forum is a good idea. Thanks, Will.

It will be up to us to use it properly.

Comment

When are you going to do the next challenge?

Comment

The next challenge will happen when someone comes up with an idea or suggestion. It's really up to the community.

Comment

Working...
                X