Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critiques for short script exercises.

It was discussed in MeatMagnet's entry about critiquing the scripts. I was under the impression that an exercise is the sort of thing where we have the opportunity to learn more and share ideas. It seems to me that there would be no purpose in the exercise if there were no critiques. What is the point of working on a script simply to find out who gets voted the best?

It is my opinion that these exercises should include a rule that to vote we have to comment of every entry, preferably with a critique as detailed as possible. I believe that no matter how successful a writer might be that leaning and sharing one's insights should never end. We can learn or teach anything by simply having a competition.

Thomas

knock yourself out ~ I will not be critiquing anyones script. I know some people do these exercises to grow as a writer or whatever - I do them because I enjoy them and I don't want or need the added pressure of wondering who's going to tear my 5 pages to shreds or not. These shorts are nothing more to me than a self challenge and something to take me out of my work for 20 minutes. They are not going to be produced, sold or reworked in any way shape or form. If and when I want help or opinions I send my work to several people that I trust and respect.

There aren't any big rules for this, but the more we add the less inclined I will be to participate. I just simply don't need the extra stress. It's not for lack of a thick skin, I just think we need to take ourselves less seriously once in a while.

Happy Halloween!

wenonah

Comment

wenonah,

After reading your last e-mail to me I see what you mean and I agree with it. As I think back over the years of participating in writing challenges that include critiquing and more recently at Script Secrets, it is true that there are snot-nosed kids who think they're hot stuff trying to tell others how to write. The Internet has no shortage of those who think they're experts and yet they've never sold anything. I do find it interesting that when you tell them you have sold work, they simply disregard it and still think they know more.

So I think you're right. This should be an enjoyable thing to do and just skip the comments altogether. I must admit that I had a lot of fun writing the script and if others enjoy it all the better. I've been in a bit of a writing drought lately and this exercise has really helped me get back in the groove.

When you mentioned Christmas I really lit up. That is my specialty in screenwriting and I look forward to having an exercise for it.

I than you for responding and talking about this.

Thomas

Comment

critiques

There aren't any big rules for this, but the more we add the less inclined I will be to participate. I just simply don't need the extra stress. It's not for lack of a thick skin, I just think we need to take ourselves less seriously once in a while.
        no disrespect wenonah. i like your scripts and you seem mature. but what you just wrote seems "too serious". if doing this adds stress to your life, then dont participate . thats you. it doesnt mean it adds stress to everyone elses life. i myself look forward to comments.

no one is being forced to do anything. and it seems odd to tell other people to act in accordance to your own personal situation, when their situation may very well be different or even the opposite.

if i have something to say, i ll say it. if not, i wont say anything. like everyone else. pretty simple.

Comment

Re: critiques

I'm not forcing MY situation on anybody, or telling anybody to act one way or another ~ For fvck's sake, I'm just trying to have a little fun here.:rolleyes

I'm just saying I don't want to make it a "rule" for this normally easy going "contest" - comment away, ask for comments, I don't care.

When we first started this several years ago, it was just an 'on the fly' type of exercise. Now that I look forward to each one I don't see the point of adding rules up the wazoo. This isn't curing cancer, it's 5 pages of Halloween. We can't edit them once they're posted anyways, so if you're going to rework it you'll have to save it for next year.

w

Comment

I agree. To make reviewing part of the rules would make it a chore, rather than a fun contest, and participation in voting would likely be non-existant for anyone who doesn't have an entry.

Critiques should be voluntary, imo.

Comment

I kinda see Wen's point â€"*

Originally, these writing contests were just fun, venting exercises; a way to throw out some pages without having to worry about being ripped apart â€" that's what the Script Pages forum is for.

Of course, people have opinions and of course, they want to share them. But to turn the Writing Exercises forum into another Script Pages forum seems to be a misuse of energy.

Fun is fun. Let's leave it that way.

Comment

huh?

i wonder if we're all misunderstanding each other. :lol i'm not suggesting any rules at all. quite the contrary.

Comment

Re: huh?

Heh - as the guy who inadvertantly started this quest of critiquing these shorts, let me go on the record as saying:

SORRY, EVERYONE!

Okay, now that I got that out of the way...
                  I'm with Wenonah - I cranked out my stuff without much thought, partly because I think this sort of stuff is fun, and it helps keep my mind sharp when I'm not writing my 'regular' stuff. I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade with my one critique - I thought that MAYBE there was someone whom I could help. Whether or not I gave good advice or if the person took said advice is a moot point, as far as I'm concerned. Let's just enjoy each other's short stories, and put them to a vote. I can live with whatever people vote for - and maybe next time, I'll come up with something that might win this competition

Comment

LOL, hey guys ~ no apologies needed all around. It was a big silly misunderstanding I think.

I'll just say it one more time, cause I'm redundant like that.

I don't mind feedback at ALL. I'm a tough girl, I can live with whatever anyone throws at me and usually there are very valid points to be made. I just didn't want some sort of rule or anyone to feel obligated to have to critique anything. I think posting pages is VERY hard for a lot of people, you put yourself out there. I love doing these exercises because like others have said, it just gives you a chance to step away from your 120 page monster and stretch your legs a bit. I see these exercises as an opportunity for people that don't want to put their "babies" in the script pages forum 5 pages at a time to just post something and get a feel for it, participate, etc.

I love reading what everyone comes up with just having a common theme to go on. If I see something that I really like, I'll let the person know and why ~ same for something that I'm just not getting.

NOW, dammit... Have FUN!

wenonah

Comment

That's *HeatMagnet MeatMagnet is a little homo erotic.

Anyway, I didn't really mind the critiques. What I did mind was the personal attacks that came along with them and the line by line analysis of my formatting rather than the story its self.

The script I posted was written out of complete boredom and was the first draft. I was just posting it to post something for the contest, truthfully. So I didn't really make any real effort to iron out the story, even though I still think it's pretty transparent if you read the script and take it in, rather than going line by line looking for flaws while ignoring the story.

I get a little defensive at times so I'm probably to blame for the whole matter getting blown out of proportion. The patronizing is what got me defensive though, as I've always been good at taking well thought out critique.

So I think for this contest, critique is ok as long as its kept in mind nobody is going to spend a lot of time trying to iron out a script that will never get made or beyond this board, probably never see the light of day again.

Comment

HeatMagnet,

That's what I got to thinking about with how personal a discussion can get with critiques. I particularly dislike it when people insist you are wrong about something that you disagree with and then badger you about it. I don't understand personal remarks with critiques. I may say that I think a piece is really bad, but I never mean it as a personal remark. Some people do seem to enjoy demoralizing other writers and that is totally wrong.

I'm glad I brought this up because the discussion has really made me think. It is good to just have a little competition intended to simply enjoy ourselves. I think too that these exercises are very good for helping us get out of a rut and motivate us. It reminds us of the fun of writing. For me anyway, if writing isn't fun I have a problem sticking with it.

Thomas

Comment

Working...
                        X