X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mirror - Halloween Short

FADE IN:

INT. EMPTY LIVING ROOM â€" DAY&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

A young twenty-something couple, TOM AND SARA, walk into the living room, followed by MISTER STAL who is wearing a blue blazer with his name on a nametag and carrying a clipboard.

MISTER STAL
    As you can see, the neighborhood is top notch.

SARA
    It certainly seems like a lovely place.

TOM
    And the price is quite low â€" which makes me wonder what the catch is on a place like this.

MISTER STAL
    I assure you, there is nothing wrong with this house. The owner is simply anxious to sell and move to Europe is all. If you donâ€TMt believe me, you can go through all the rooms yourself and check.

TOM
    Let me talk with my wife for a second.

MISTER STAL
    Sure, take your time. Iâ€TMll make some coffee for you folks in the kitchen.

Mister Stal exits. Sara starts getting excited, but Tom calms her down.

TOM
    Listen, Sara, we really need to take a look at this place some more. Somethingâ€TMs not right.

SARA
    Oh, come on, Tom! This is the best place weâ€TMll ever be able to afford. And did you see the playground down the street? We can have kids and have them play in the sandbox!

TOM
    Okay, one thing at a time. We should check this place out thoroughly first, and then worry about making a kid.

SARA
    Okay, how about you check out the upstairs floors, and Iâ€TMll check out here and the basement, and weâ€TMll meet up in 15 minutes and compare notes?

TOM
    Sounds good to me.

Sara starts excitedly jumping up and down. Tom smiles at her as he calms her down and walks up the staircase.

INT. MASTER BEDROOM â€" DAY

Tom opens the door and peeks in. The room is quite spacious, with plenty of sunlight coming in through the windows. Tom looks around impressed and is about to leave when something catches his eye.

In the corner of the room there is a rope attached to what looks like a trap door in the ceiling. Tom walks over and yanks on the rope. After the second pull, the trap door opens and a staircase slides down in front of him.

TOM
    A secret attic. Maybe this place isnâ€TMt so bad after all.

INT. ATTIC â€" SAME

Tom climbs up the stairs and looks around. Everything in the attic seems to be covered with at least two layers of dust. There are some assorted boxes in one corner, a few extra floorboards in another, all lit by a solitary window in the middle of the wall.

Tom looks around and sees a large full length mirror in the corner of the attic.

TOM
    Wow. That mirror is a hell of a lot bigger than our bathroom mirror at home.

Tom walks towards the mirror, kicking up dust as he walks. As heâ€TMs standing in front of the mirror, he moves his hand around. Suddenly, something invisible seems to pull his arm towards the mirror and he gets yanked inside the mirror!

EXT. STREET â€" DAY

Tom wakes up in the middle of a street, shaking his head. When he looks around where he is, heâ€TMs in complete shock.

Houses and cars all around him are on fire. Peopleâ€TMs bodies are strewn out all over the sidewalk, as if something killed them all where they stood. The sky above seems to be an almost blood red, and in the distance is a large column of black smoke filling the sky.

Tom looks around, and sees a MAN in a business suit running down the street, his left eye and right arm missing. Chasing him is a teenage BOY with a Tool T-shirt and jeans, with half of the boyâ€TMs stomach spilling out of his guts, swinging an ax.

Tom hears a woman scream and turns, then closes his eyes shut. A middle-aged WOMAN is being eaten alive by ants, her flesh disappearing under the onslaught, her arms quivering from reflex.

TOM
    God, what the hell is going on here? Where am I?

Tom turns and sees a gang of THUGS, each of them with some deformity â€" one of them has his head scalped, a second looks like itâ€TMs all literally skin and bones, a third has oozing pus marks all over himself. All of the thugs are wearing gang jackets and are holding various weapons.

Tom tries to quietly and quickly walk away from their line of sight, but one of them spots him and points in his direction.

THUG #1
    There! Get the pig!

THUG #2
    Here, piggy, piggy!

The third thug pulls out a rifle from behind him and fires. The shot just misses Tom but puts a wide hole in the burning car Tom is standing next to. Tom starts running down the street, the three thugs after him.

TOM
    This canâ€TMt be happening! This canâ€TMt be real!

Tom ducks into an alley, where he comes face to face with a WOMAN whose bottom jaw is missing. Sheâ€TMs running away from an OLD MAN with a board nailed in his head, who is swinging his own nail studded board.

TOM
    What the hell…

The old man runs out of the alley, and is immediately pounced on by the three thugs, who start kicking him around and using his free board to inflict new wounds on him.

All of the violence gets to be too much, and Tom pukes up his lunch on the street. Just as he looks up, the three thugs look at him, hideous grins across all of their faces.

Tom runs but is weak and starts stumbling. Suddenly he hears a voice behind a door at the end of the alley.

VOICE (O.S.)
    In here! Hurry!

Tom makes a break for it and runs for the door. Just as he gets there, the door swings wide open. NICK, a fat middle-aged man with a goatee, is holding a flamethrower in his hands.

NICK
    Duck!

Tom obliges and dives to the ground in front of Nick. Nick lets loose with a huge spray of fire, which completely engulfs all three thugs, who start screaming and bumping into each other.

NICK
    Get the hell in here, now!

Tom jumps inside and Nick closes the door, locking them both in.

INT. ROOM â€" DAY

Tom looks around the dark room. There are small bundles around the room, and a small dying fire in one corner. Nick aims the flamethrower at the fire, and soon a roaring fire is going in the corner. Nick then drops the flamethrower and hugs Tom.

NICK
    God, please tell me youâ€TMre real!

TOM
    Iâ€TMm real… I guess. Who are you?

NICK
    Iâ€TMm Nick. How did you get here?

TOM
    Iâ€TMm Tom. I was house shopping with my wife, and â€"

NICK
    Mister Stal?

TOM
    You know him?

NICK
    Oh, Iâ€TMll KILL that bastard if I ever find him!

TOM
    What the hell is going on here?

NICK
    Near as I can tell, weâ€TMre in some sort of parallel dimension.

TOM
    What?! How is that possible?

NICK
    What was the last thing you remember before waking up here?

TOM
    I… the mirror.

NICK
    The mirror, yes, the damn mirror. Iâ€TMve been here for over 6 months now. I… God, Emily… she doesnâ€TMt know I…

Nick sinks to the ground and starts sobbing uncontrollably. Tom waits until Nick is more composed, then sits down next to him.

TOM
    Listen, if this is some kind of… other dimension or whatever, shouldnâ€TMt there be another mirror we can go through?

NICK
    No, I checked. The damn house was blown up, the mirror is in a million pieces on the ground.

TOM
    Oh, God… there has to be some other way out of here.

NICK
    Iâ€TMve been trying to find one ever since I got here. Itâ€TMs been small miracles that Iâ€TMve been able to find food and this flamethrower to start with.

TOM
    Listen, can you show me the way back to the house?

NICK
    No! I donâ€TMt want to go back there!

TOM
    Please! There has to be something â€" maybe something you missed the first time you checked.

Nick looks into Tomâ€TMs eyes, then shakes his head.

NICK
    I donâ€TMt know why Iâ€TMm agreeing to this.

EXT. ALLEYWAY â€" DAY
    Nick opens the door and sticks his flamethrower out first. Then he pokes his head out. Three bodies burned to ash are lying in front of the door.

NICK
    Okay, letâ€TMs go.

EXT. STREET â€" DAY
    Nick and Tom walk down the street, the sounds of screams and gunfire in the distance.

TOM
    There it is! Thatâ€TMs the house! Down the block!

NICK
    Yep, thatâ€TMs it. You know, itâ€TMs funny… I spent weeks just trying to survive, but… I donâ€TMt know, maybe Iâ€TMll be able to see my Emily again after all this. Maybe this is all just a bad dream, and youâ€TMre the guy whose gonna help wake me up. Maybe I â€"

Nickâ€TMs next sound is not a word, but rather a scream. Tom spins around just in time to see a hand and an arm protruding out of Nickâ€TMs stomach. A second hand bursts through right above the first, and a third fist bursts through Nickâ€TMs mouth.

Tom watches in terror as two MEN struggle, trying to get their hands through Nicksâ€TM swollen body. A young BOY with skeletons for fingers and wrists walks forward as Nick drops to the ground.

Tom waits, frightened, for the inevitable conclusion… but is shocked when he looks at the boy again. The boy now looks like a normal eight year old, his hands perfectly normal.

TOM
    What… what happened?

BOY
    Itâ€TMs Halloween now, Mister.

Tom turns to see the sun set in the distance.

BOY
    Do you have any treats for me?

MAN #1
    I do, son.

One of the men pulls his arm out of Nickâ€TMs dead body and hands the boy a celery stick and a carrot.

BOY
    Thanks, dad!

MAN #1
    Kids â€" theyâ€TMre great, arenâ€TMt they?

Tom weakly nods, then turns to run to the house. As he approaches it, he sees that Nick wasnâ€TMt kidding â€" the house is little more than a shell of a house. About the only thing left standing are the stairs leading up to the attic.

Tom walks up the stairs, having to jump some of the weaker stairs, and makes his way to the top floor. In the corner where the mirror once was is now just the frame of the mirror. Tom looks at 100 reflections of himself in the shards of the mirror on the floor.

TOM
    Jesus…

Tom sifts through the glass, then notices one piece which looks like itâ€TMs a corner piece. He picks it up and starts moving it towards the mirror frame. Suddenly, the shard flies out of his hand and places itself in the corner of the frame.

Tom picks up a different shard and starts moving it towards the frame. The shard flies out of his hand, cutting it, and stands suspended in the middle of the frame.

Tom then starts picking up the shards in a box and holding them in front of the mirror frame. The shards fly out of the box and assemble themselves in their respective places. Within a minute, Tom is standing in front of a fully formed mirror. Tom then reaches out to touch the mirror…

INT. ATTIC â€" NIGHT

Tom opens his eyes to see SARA and Mister Stal hovering over him.

SARA
    Jesus, Tom, are you okay?

Tom gets up with a start, shuffling quickly away from the mirror.

MISTER STAL
    Are you okay, sir? We were worried sick about you. We tried looking all over for you â€"

TOM
    I want to get out of here.

SARA
    But Tom, what about the house â€"

TOM
    Weâ€TMll find something else. Come on, honey.

Tom runs to the stairs and almost jumps down them. Sara follows, then turns to Mister Stal.

SARA
    Iâ€TMm so sorry you had to spend so much time with us.

MISTER STAL
    Itâ€TMs okay, as long as heâ€TMs okay. Iâ€TMll try and help you folks find something else in your price range.

Sara smiles, then climbs down the stairs. Mister Stal turns to look at the mirror.

MISTER STAL
    I told father he shouldnâ€TMt have bought that damn mirror in the first place.

Mister Stal walks to the stairs, dust kicking up behind him, as he walks down the stairs and closes the trap door.

FADE OUT.

Itâ€TMs been small miracles that Iâ€TMve been able to find food and this flamethrower to start with.
    :rollin

I could never in a million years dream of writing such a brilliant line.

Comment

Sorry Sledge, but though it's obvious you put a great deal into this, it's been done so many times. It seems that you went for the shock value and grossing people out. There's way too much of that in movies as it is. The story had way too many holes in it and you paid no attention to developing your characters.

A few points:

Why did Tom feel something isn't right about the house? You gave no reason for him feeling this way.

You have Sara excited about the playground down the street and she goes into a silly thing about having a kid. That doesn't jive with her being excited about the house and you only gave cost as her motive for liking the house. No substance for the character or reason fro her excitement. Her jumping up and down makes her look childish.

You have a rope attacked to a trap door that is a ladder to the attic. What's so secret about the attic? What makes Tom think this place isn't so bad after all simply because it has an attic?

Why would Tom say that the mirror is bigger than his bath room mirror? It's obviously a full body dressing mirror and an entirely different kind of mirror to a bath room mirror.

There are a lot other things, but I skip down to the end. Mr. Stal knows about the mirror, why in the hell did he leave it there?

Thomas

Comment

Working...
      X