X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best Halloween ever - Halloween short

FADE IN:

INT. JOHNNYâ€TMS LIVING ROOM â€" NIGHT

Little JOHNNY CLOVER, a 10 year old boy, fidgets in his suit as he looks upstairs, then to his empty Halloween bag which is next to him.

JOHNNY
    Mom! All the good candy is going to be gone soon!

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER comes bounding down the stairs, all full of glee, holding a mask in her hand.

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER
    I found it, I found it! Oh, I knew I shouldnâ€TMt have let Jack put everything away. I swear, that man can be so disorganized â€"

JOHNNY
    MOM!

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER
    Oh, right. Okay.

Johnnyâ€TMs mother pulls the mask over Johnnyâ€TMs head, revealing the mask to be a George W Bush mask.

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER
    Oh, doesnâ€TMt my little President look so sweet.

JOHNNY
    Mom, please! Let me put on my Leatherman costume. All the other guys are putting on cool costumes.

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER
    Now, Johnny, what kind of excuse is that? If all your friends decided to jump off a cliff, would you follow them also?

JOHNNY
    But I hate this stupid costume!

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER
    Now, dear, when you grow up and you have the chance to vote for a President, youâ€TMll see just how… um, cool this kind of costume can be.

JOHNNY
    Mom, please. I wanna dress up in a costume like the other guys.

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER
    Oh, you kids â€" when are you going to learn that you should be independent and not necessarily blindly follow each other off a cliff?

JOHNNY
    Mom, can you stop with the cliff thing already?

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER
    Okay, now wait right there while I go get the camera.

JOHNNY
    Mom, I donâ€TMt want a picture taken.

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER
    Now, dear, just wait one minute while I look for that camera!

Johnnyâ€TMs mother races back up the steps, giggling and humming the tune to Hail To The Chief. Johnny grabs his bag and walks out the door.

JOHNNYâ€TMS MOTHER (O.S.)
    Jack, is that you? Can you tell me where you hid the damn camera?

EXT. SIDEWALK â€" NIGHT
    Johnny pulls off his mask and watches as dozens of kids roam the streets, some with parents, some in groups. Virtually all of them are wearing cooler costumes than Johnny â€" some are wearing the Scream costume, a few are dressed like Superman, and one of them looks like Leatherface.

Johnny lets out a sigh, then turns to see his friend TRAVIS walking towards him, also wearing a suit, and also with a mask over his head.

JOHNNY
    Hey, Travis!

TRAVIS
    Hey.

JOHNNY
    Are you supposed to be George Bush also?

TRAVIS
    Nope.

Travis pulls down his mask and reveals that his mask is that of John Kerry.

JOHNNY
    Who is that?

TRAVIS
    John Kerry.

JOHNNY
    Who is that?

TRAVIS
    I dunno â€" but my mom is so excited about the guy. She keeps saying how her union is telling everyone to vote for Kerry, and sheâ€TMs gonna be the lead in getting people to vote for him or something.

JOHNNY
    Is he the president of America?

TRAVIS
    Nah, heâ€TMs probably running for president of my momâ€TMs union. I tell you, her talking about him all the time is driving me crazy.

JOHNNY
    I know. My mom made me get dressed as President Bush.

TRAVIS
    I wanted to get dressed as the Creeper.

JOHNNY
    I know, I wanted to get dressed as Leatherface.

TRAVIS
    Parents can be so stupid. So, what do you wanna do?

JOHNNY
    Well, I guess we can still go trick or treating. You wanna head up to Maple and start from there?

TRAVIS
    Sure, letâ€TMs go.

Travis and Johnny both pull down their masks and walk over to the corner of Maple Street and Birch Avenue, then make a right turn onto Maple. Theyâ€TMre about to approach a house when a TALL MAN in a trenchcoat and sunglasses approaches them.

TALL MAN
    Excuse me, but who are you two supposed to be?

TRAVIS
    Iâ€TMm John Kerry.

JOHNNY
    And Iâ€TMm George Bush â€" though I wanted to be Leatherface.

TALL MAN
    I see. Would you two please follow me to my car?

The tall man points to a limo parked in the middle of the street, which is in stark contrast to the assorted 4-door cars parked along the street.

JOHNNY
    I donâ€TMt know, my mom always said that I shouldnâ€TMt go with strangers.

TRAVIS
    Yeah, plus weâ€TMre out trick or treating and we havenâ€TMt gotten any candy yet.

TALL MAN
    I see.

The tall man reaches into his pocket and pulls out two gumballs, holding them out.

TALL MAN
    Will this suffice?

JOHNNY
    Are you kidding?

TRAVIS
    Come on, if you havenâ€TMt gotten any candy, then how about you give us some money?

TALL MAN
    You two want money?

Johnny and Travis nod. The tall man pulls the collar of his trenchcoat to his face.

TALL MAN
    Identities confirmed.

The tall man then pulls out two hundred dollar bills from his pocket and holds them out.

TALL MAN
    If you come with me for a few minutes, I will give you each a hundred dollar bill.

JOHNNY
    Wow!

TRAVIS
    What are we waiting for?

The two kids grab the money and run to the limo, stuffing the money in their pockets. When they get to the limo, the back door opens. The two kids climb in, followed by the tall man, who slams the door shut.

INT. LIMO â€" NIGHT

Johnny and Travis sit across from the tall man and another MAN dressed in a dark suit and also wearing sunglasses.

JOHNNY
    Thanks for the money, mister!

TRAVIS
    Yeah, we hardly get any money from our parents.

TALL MAN
    Mister Bush?

JOHNNY
    Who, me?

TALL MAN
    Yes, sir. We have a couple of questions for you and Mister Kerry.

JOHNNY
    (whispering to Travis)
    These costumes must be better than we thought.

TALL MAN
    Mister Bush, we would like to know what your plans are for space exploration.

JOHNNY
    Huh? Um, I guess weâ€TMll just keep making lasers and lightsabers, and… I donâ€TMt know â€"

TRAVIS
    Oh, and also weâ€TMll have those spaceships.

TALL MAN
    Spaceships, Mister Kerry?

TRAVIS
    Yeah, you know, the ones with the photon torpedoes and stuff.

JOHNNY
    Oh, yeah â€" BLOOM!

TRAVIS
    ZAP!

Travis and Johnny laugh together as the Tall Man and the other man exchange worried looks.

TALL MAN
    Are you saying that you already have such technology as lasers that you can fire at other people?

TRAVIS
    Oh, sure. Hey, you remember for Amyâ€TMs birthday we went to that Lazer Tag place?

JOHNNY
    Oh, yeah, that was a lot of fun, shooting lazers at her until she died.

TRAVIS
    Yeah, we got her good.

MAN
    Um, Mister Kerry, you go along with the plans of Mister Bush here?

TRAVIS
    Sure. I mean, this dude is one of my best friends.

Travis and Johnny wrap their arms around each otherâ€TMs shoulders. The Tall Man and the other Man exchange worried looks again.

TALL MAN
    Okay, well… thank you for your time.

JOHNNY
    Hey, do you have any more money for us?

TRAVIS
    Yeah, for another hundred bucks Iâ€TMd be willing to answer a few more questions.

TALL MAN
    No, thank you.

The door opens, and both Johnny and Travis exit the limo. As soon as the door is closed, the limo starts driving off.

Once theyâ€TMre a safe distance away from the kids, the tall man reaches behind his head and pulls off his â€-faceâ€TM, revealing himself to be an alien with 5 eyes, dark scaly green skin and no nose. His companion does the same with his â€-faceâ€TM, revealing a similar looking alien. The two then start talking in their alien tongue.

TALL MAN
    (subtitled)
    What do you think we should do?

MAN
    (subtitled)
    We should report back to Klaâ€TMatu and let him know of the damage the sol creatures can do to us.

TALL MAN
    (subtitled)
    Agreed. And to think you thought that theyâ€TMd be ready for our message of peace.

MAN
    (subtitled)
    Hey, itâ€TMs a mulakrat who canâ€TMt admit that he can make a mistake once in awhile.

The two aliens share a laugh as their limo picks up off the ground. The limo itself pulls up faster and faster into the sky, noticed by no one as it shoots towards the stars.

EXT. MAPLE AVENUE STREET â€" NIGHT
    Johnny and Travis are still standing there holding their hundred dollar bills.

JOHNNY
    Hey, what are you gonna do with your money?

TRAVIS
    Iâ€TMm gonna buy a ton of candy and comics, and go rent out every Friday The 13th movie.

JOHNNY
    Iâ€TMm gonna give some to Dennis â€" I figure if I give him a little money now, I can use him to get money out of the other kids at school for a change.

TRAVIS
    This is the best Halloween ever!

JOHNNY
    Tell me about it!

The two kids pull off their masks and dump them in the trash can on the curb, then walk down the street, happy as clams.

FADE OUT.

:rollin

funny!

wenonah

Comment

bushkerry

this thing had potential. but your concept is way better than the actual execution.

you realize that you make the aliens infinitely dumber than the humans. they just snatch up 2 kids in masks and are easily convinced they are the real people? huh? the aliens, who are also wearing masks, don't suspect that the kids are as well?

i know it's a little satire, but seems like you went for the quick kill, without a strong plan of attack. (hmmm....perhaps just like bush)

comedies are SO MUCH better when they have wit.

but like i said, good concept. excellent concept actually. although i seem to recall a similar simpsons episode where the two aliens snatch up clinton and dole.

"I am President Clin-TUN."
      :lol

Comment

Re: bushkerry

Thanks for the comments - both good and not so good :lol
        This was one of those times when I was able to get an idea in my head and just roll with it, which explains a little why the execution is not as subtle as goo would probably like it. But still, it's good to have exercises like this to keep my 'writing' mind going until I get my next burst of energy.

BTW, goo, where's YOUR Halloween short?

Comment

short

we have til the 31st.

im not rushing

Comment

God I hate to do this, but your script was really bad. It was more a play than a screenplay. The dialogue really needs some work. You seemed to attempt to make a political commentary hidden in the story, but even that fell flat.

Just to point out a couple of things:

You have the mother being very controlling and then suddenly the boy takes off on his own.

You start having Travis not knowing who his costume is (though every child knows who Bush is) and then you have him saying that his mom made him get dressed as President Bush.

There's no reason for the aliens having a limo and dressed as they are.

You have the boys easily bribed into the car and that's not very convincing, especially these days.

And I agree with Mr. Goo that the aliens were too much like the Simpson's episode. But I disagree that this was a good concept. It appeared to me that you were in too much of a hurry.

PS. Before you ask where my entry is, winnonah will post it on Thursday and it's two-parter. So feel free to let me have it as bad I did you. :-)

Thomas

Comment

Working...
            X