Hot Tubs And Time Machines (voting deadline: Fri 23)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot Tubs And Time Machines (deadline: Sept 15)

Okay, who else is out there?

Declare thyself, you-know-that-you-want-to?

Come and say hello, get in on this and enjoy the ride.
    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
      By the way..... does anybody here write off-screen, with a pencil. It really appeals to me. Avoids burning the eyes out on a screen for hours and hours.

And then........ when you finish.... transfer the finished screenplay to MM6?
      I always start with a pencil and paper. I still have about 1,500 handwritten pages from my first full-length script. (Several drafts and notes.)

It's like getting my brain going for me. Now, I'll often jump to a script formatter, or my AlphaSmart Neo after beginning with a pencil. Sometimes only after a couple of pages. But it's almost like I have to start with a pencil.

Then I transfer it to Movie Magic 2000 for the final format.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard three people talking on the radio. I think the oldest guy was in his 60s, the other two in their late 20s or early 30s.

The young guys were making fun of the older one because he still wrote in cursive. They said they didn't even know how, that they were never taught cursive -- that it was dying. That kind of freaked me out.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
        I always start with a pencil and paper. I still have about 1,500 handwritten pages from my first full-length script. (Several drafts and notes.)

It's like getting my brain going for me. Now, I'll often jump to a script formatter, or my AlphaSmart Neo after beginning with a pencil. Sometimes only after a couple of pages. But it's almost like I have to start with a pencil.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard three people talking on the radio. I think the oldest guy was in his 60s, the other two in their late 20s or early 30s.

The young guys were making fun of the older one because he still wrote in cursive. They said they didn't even know how, that they were never taught cursive -- that it was dying. That kind of freaked me out.
        That is very crazy to think about... However I can't lie, when I write now-a-days with pen/pencil it feels a bit awkward....

It's like focusing on blinking or breathing, and how often to do each... If you don't think about it it's smooth, second nature, but the minute you start paying attention to it, it gets clunky.

I write ideas down on paper at times, but never anything more than a page... I am certain to lose it and part of me knows that.
        "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
        SUBTITLED
        Episode 1 (Beef pills)
        Episode 2 (African commercial)
        Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Okay, who else is out there?

Declare thyself, you-know-that-you-want-to?

Come and say hello, get in on this and enjoy the ride.
          Page one written, the end reimagined five times
          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
            Page one written, the end reimagined five times
            Good man, I've barely started so you're ahead of me, I just have a couple of ideas forming.
            Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

@Storywriter, Mpimentel:

I think that the pencil is different to anything else, it has an artistic feel to it, sensation, quality, hard to describe, but like you, I tend to use it only [or pens] for jotting down notes in a reporter's style notebook.

I don't have a large table at present to write at, that's what keeps me from spreading out and using more pencil.

And I've got used to the screen but sometimes, just sometimes, I see through technology and think something along the lines of.... we're all being had!

And then begin some tirade about how we're all hooked up to staring at and manipulating nothing more than liquid crystal behind a thin plastic wall, and how a direct light source, the screen, aimed directly at the eyes, is not healthy.

It's a bit like the 'reality' around texting, everybody does it, but the two thumbs are clearly not made to do that- it's clunky and stupid in fact.

More.. it's a bit of a con, the only way to fit the human body around the technology but we all do it. Such sheep huh. An such is the lure of a screen and communication and going with the crowd.

Tirade over!

I'll probably always write some cursive, even if it's just on notepads, but I remember writing a few college essays in long-hand and I found one a while back and oh.... the handwriting was very neat and regular, it's since become very wavy and untidy. And I "word-processed" most essays further in.

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 09-07-2016, 10:47 PM. Reason: desiderata

Comment

I'm very impressed by that 1500 handwritten pages from your first script, did you have lots of crossings out, strikes through sentences?
                How did you amend as you progressed? Did you write all over the pages or say... add a new page 1 an append it to the original page 1 for example.

Comment

I think we have around 8 entrants so far, that's just a rough approximation, I'd like at least two more please.

Wait!

I just heard a sniffle out there somewhere folks!

It came I believe from the very edges of the board, out there in the ghostly murk. Every web board has this outer region, it's the internet's beyond the asteroid belt region of space.

Let me just check now [hasty sounds of thumbing through the monstrously sized and venerable 576 page... Writing Exercises Rule Manual].

Yep....

I thought so...., here it is:

[he stabs at page]

Chapter 27,
                  "Entry Requirements", under....
                  "Other Entry Issues", and
                  "Mandatory Entry"
                  to be found under Para 1, sub-para 5. Section (a), (b) and
                  the first 36 words within (c) which deals with "Penalties."

I quote:

"If a [potential[ entrant even so much as sniffs ["...a sniffle" being the full and correct technical description and common usage of this term...] within ear shot of the up and running pre-contest request for entrants process, then, the "sniffle" will be construed herewith as evidence of a serious intention to enter the said contest and the aforementioned "Sniffler" will be bound over to produce an "8 page script" within the designated time frame [as set out in the contest flyer "Deadlines & Dates" section of the said contest thread.

Said "Sniffler" is thereby bound to enter said competition."

That's it then, I think we're on firm legal ground here, whoever sniffled out there, you are in, declare yourself immediately please!

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 09-08-2016, 01:21 AM. Reason: largely... olfactory emendation, and a little oleaginous extremata.

Comment

I'm very impressed by that 1500 handwritten pages from your first script, did you have lots of crossings out, strikes through sentences?
                    How did you amend as you progressed? Did you write all over the pages or say... add a new page 1 an append it to the original page 1 for example.
                    I wrote with on two notebooks at the same time. I numbered all the pages in both notebooks. One was the script from beginning to end (which by some freak of nature was almost page for page, the same length as the formatted script). For example, the first draft, handwritten script was something like a 127 pages and typed in the formatter, it was something like 125.

The other notebook was where I would write ideas for changing the scenes, adding scenes, or sometimes just ideas for different stories, or whatever came to mind. If it was an alternate scene or idea for the script, I'd put a number beside it to cross-reference where it belonged in the other notebook. And I'd note the page number in the script notebook that referenced the notes in the "ideas" notebook.

Then I'd type the script into the formatter (Scriptware at that time). I did this whole rigmarole at least three times. (I had plenty of time and was having fun.) But I eventually figured out it was done and decided to enter it into Nicholl's and Austin. And even after dinking with it forever, I ended up re-writing the last ten pages, one hour before I sent it in.

It's a typically bad first script.

Comment

I wrote with on two notebooks at the same time. I numbered all the pages in both notebooks. One was the script from beginning to end (which by some freak of nature was almost page for page, the same length as the formatted script). For example, the first draft, handwritten script was something like a 127 pages and typed in the formatter, it was something like 125.

The other notebook was where I would write ideas for changing the scenes, adding scenes, or sometimes just ideas for different stories, or whatever came to mind. If it was an alternate scene or idea for the script, I'd put a number beside it to cross-reference where it belonged in the other notebook. And I'd note the page number in the script notebook that referenced the notes in the "ideas" notebook.

Then I'd type the script into the formatter (Scriptware at that time). I did this whole rigmarole at least three times. (I had plenty of time and was having fun.) But I eventually figured out it was done and decided to enter it into Nicholl's and Austin. And even after dinking with it forever, I ended up re-writing the last ten pages, one hour before I sent it in.

It's a typically bad first script.
                      That's an interesting system, I'd have probably written plenty of amendments over and above the lines, it would then turn into a bit of a mess. I know in typed documents you can always double-space as a solution, but that doesn't seem to be a feature of script-writing software.

The other system is to do light amends on a typed document, print it off, amend again in pencil, then type in those updates, and reprint, repeat..... and then continue like that... but it uses quite a lot of print paper up if that's how you do it.

But I do like that system....a kind of software/handwritten hybrid.

--------------------------------------------
                      Other news:
                      ~ so the "hype" stage is over now, we've got the message out as far as we can do, so I figure we've got most of the entrants we're going to get by now. There may be some secretive types who will not say they are about but instead just send something in, that's happened before and is fine.

Time to just bed down and write now folks.

Comment

Just celebrating finishing my script.

Carry on please.

Comment

That was fast!
                          Hope to do something tomorrow.
                          Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

First draft done for one of them. I think I might as well write two.

But we'll see what happens.

Comment

So, if my time machine works, can I finish it on September 30th and send it back to September 15th?

Comment

Draft one is done and in at a tight 6 pages.

My first succesful completion in about the last 3 competitions.
                                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X