Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here's A Scary Idea

I'm in. My script is one that I started years ago and dropped. It wasn't a comedy and I thought I should focus on comedy. It's a scifi thriller. I even posted the only three pages of it in the advanced notes forum. I haven't cracked it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
      I'm in. My script is one that I started years ago and dropped. It wasn't a comedy and I thought I should focus on comedy. It's a scifi thriller. I even posted the only three pages of it in the advanced notes forum. I haven't cracked it yet.
      I'm up to it, if I can find the time. (I know, that's what everybody says.) Unfortunately, our largish, minnow-sized (by comparison) company just got gobbled up by another company that has 180,000 employees. Things were supposed to remain the same until at least the end of the year -- but starting in August their shaking the ant farm, and seeing were everyone settles.

I do have an idea for a story, and hopefully I'll be able to post a preliminary logline in the next week or so.

Good luck.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

It's a lot of effort, creativity, sweat, to write a full length script just for the heck of it guys.

Feels very production line too.

Is this a motivational issue, if you sign up to it here you'll at least stand a chance of completing it?

You will write better or only write at all perhaps with a gun pressed to your head.

The 8-pagers were supposed to be approached more loosely. . . crazy-insane little rule breakers if you like.

I used to figure that we all become slightly too serious and rigid when it came to the full feature, PREPARE TO WRITE, you're out to impress, this has to be the one and all of that... so you'll not experiment quite as much?

The 8-pager also stood a chance of being finished and to deadline. Many can't even manage that remember!

The rushed 90-pager seems like a very bad idea upon reflection.

Unless of course you are only motivated by deadlines, sort of like being inside a car crusher, but what shape comes out at the other end?

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 07-26-2017, 06:05 AM.
        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Another option...

This is all very tentative, but a few weeks ago the Administrator of DDP indicated that he may be able to offer a prize in the form of a limited DDP membership to the next writing contest winner. I don't know if this is still available, but if it is, a prize may drum up more entries. Maybe not.

I'd stick with the very short script format. My suggested prompt: One scene, one actor, escape from a physical and/or psychological threat. 8 page max.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
            It's been 4-6 weeks for first draft. I've usually worked with existing IPs (book, graphic novel), so I cheat and start my outlining before contract gets done.
            But I'm still working at the indie level, others here doing major studio jobs would probably have a different answer.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
              Another option...

This is all very tentative, but a few weeks ago the Administrator of DDP indicated that he may be able to offer a prize in the form of a limited DDP membership to the next writing contest winner. I don't know if this is still available, but if it is, a prize may drum up more entries. Maybe not.

I'd stick with the very short script format. My suggested prompt: One scene, one actor, escape from a physical and/or psychological threat. 8 page max.

Thoughts?
              I'm in for both.

I hardly ever have access to a computer at work so when I take a break I hand write my notes, outlines etc. I wrote out about three additional pages to my treatment. I'll type them up at home.

Comment

How time flies! 2 weeks on, is anyone writing, or thinking of writing, or outlining?

Comment

We need an official kick off in a new thread.
                  I'm in for bioprofessor's idea (8 pages).
                  Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                    How time flies! 2 weeks on, is anyone writing, or thinking of writing, or outlining?
                    Now that I've considered it more, I think there's good reasons to keep the format the way it's been here. I kind of feel like I was hijacking the forum.

And the full script contest idea was getting pretty watered down (mostly by me) anyway.

Maybe we could start a different thread, here or elsewhere, keeping track of the progress of the feature-length scripts in progress? I still think that could encourage people to complete more feature-length scripts.

But I'm up for a short contest. Any ideas? (That includes anyone, not just dpaterso.)

*Edit*
                    p.s. I actually have been working on the full-length script -- so for me at least -- it's been an incentive.

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
                      Now that I've considered it more, I think there's good reasons to keep the format the way it's been here. I kind of feel like I was hijacking the forum.
                      Not at all. In the past there's been writing exercises running at the same time.

And the full script contest idea was getting pretty watered down (mostly by me) anyway.

I'm working on my feature project, with end of October goal, for the treatment. I've rewritten some of the opening pages. I was thinking of posting the opening pages in the script notes forum.

Maybe we could start a different thread, here or elsewhere, keeping track of the progress of the feature-length scripts in progress? I still think that could encourage people to complete more feature-length scripts.

Go ahead and start another thread. I was thinking of starting a "Dog days of Summer" contest, since, I guess, August is the dog days of summer.

But I'm up for a short contest. Any ideas? (That includes anyone, not just dpaterso.)

Derek and Warrior have been very generous with their time here.

*Edit*
                      p.s. I actually have been working on the full-length script -- so for me at least -- it's been an incentive.

Deadlines are good. You're going to be dealing with them in the real world.

And lots and lots of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                        Derek and Warrior have been very generous with their time here.
                        I can see how that could be taken backwards. I meant I was sending the message to everyone, not just dpaterso. (Since I was responding to something he wrote I didn't want people to think I was implying that he needed to be coming up with the ideas, himself.)

But, sure I'm up for posting some pages from the full-length script as well as a "Dog Days of Summer" short.

Comment

No worries, I didn't take it the wrong way, and I see the Dog Days of Summer thread's already been started, woot.

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                            Another option...

Thoughts?

If Will is still up to offering a DDP subscription the Halloween writing contest would be a great contest for it.

Comment

I'm still working on my October feature script deadline. A treatment or outline anyways. Since engaging in my October script I got some ideas for my other stories though too. I'm too easily sidetracked and that's not good but they are good ideas and need to be explored.

Comment

Working...
                              X