No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I write Pilot Episode

----
    Last edited by Otuken; 04-08-2022, 06:32 AM.

Well, unless you're a proven, produced, established television/screenwriter, your idea for a series is just another undeveloped idea from someone who hasn't demonstrated he/she can write anything whatsoever. A killer pilot, along with a detailed series treatment sells the series.

Comment

If you don't have a way into the room to pitch your project, you will have to write your pilot episode. The pilot episode needs to be of the highest quality. The party interested in buying the project will ultimately decide what will be the actual pilot episode they want to send into production. Producers/network/studio may opt for a different access point into the series and request a new pilot.

When the pilot is your way into the room, it's a selling document that speaks for itself. It must sell the series.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

----
        Last edited by Otuken; 04-08-2022, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Otuken View Post

Unfortunately I don't live in US, even English is not my first language but becoming a script writer in US or Europe has always been my primary life goal. Has anyone with similar situation to me ever became scrpit writer in US?

Yes, of course they have.

I moved to LA at the end of last September and I'm in the same boat until I secure a rep. I have only recently been able to start working on writing again, because my day job is demanding (60-70 hour weeks are common).

When I speak to "a way in the room," I'm talking about having a team of representatives (manager and agent). A lot of writers are in your shoes. If you do not have reps that can get you a face-to-face, you will need to write a high quality pilot and possibly have additional documents written as well, ie a pitch, bible, some kind of series breakdown. Enter contests, query producers and managers, everything everyone suggests on this site. It doesn't really matter where you live at this point. It's just more challenging to get attention. If you write an amazing pilot and you get attention for it, you have a chance.

You can check out The Black List website and review some of the TV pilots writers are trying to sell. You'll get a good idea of what you might want to have. They may even allow you to read their pilots and other docs.

Keeo asking questions. Keep writing. Keep the drive alive...

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

----

Comment

I can't understand the aspect of uncertainty and tendency of overcomplicate things in this industry.

I just should have been allowed (like others) to send my logline and season 1 synopsis directly. They could just drop off reading if they don't like logline which wouldn't take more than few seconds. If not even bothering to read it then what do they expect from no name writers?
              They expect them to win significant contests or go away as they already have plenty of working writers on their roster and they don't need a bunch of wannabes tugging on their coattails like beggars at the banquet. Harsh, but they're really not looking to fill empty seats.

Proverbial Hollywood does not favor the untried or unproven.

Besides, you can query your logline to 10,000 people -- nobody's stopping you. Whether anyone reads it and requests material is a different story.

Comment

Time is money, Otuken, and you need to either get on board with the way the industry works or move on to something else. T

Industry professionals expect you to respect their time and follow their querying policies. Some managers receive hundreds of submissions; they simply don't have time to read them all. They have active clients' work they need to read, give notes on, send out, follow up on their progress, as well as deal with projects in production. THOSE are their priorities. They simply do not have the extra time to devote to read hundreds of poorly written, underdeveloped, terribly executed stories.

It is NOT complicated.

Send a compelling query letter with a compelling logline that is undeniably amazing, and someone who likes it will reach out to you. Submit your work to contests and take first place. Submit your work to The Black List and earn 9s &10s.

You have a choice. Stop whining and complaining about why YOU deserve anyone's 30 seconds, and focus your energy on what YOU CAN CONTROL... the writing. Then write the best, show-stopping script ever written. Do that, any you'll earn everyone's attention.

If you'd rather continue to complain about why the system is unfair and how you're getting a raw deal, that's as far as you will ever get.

This industry is not for the feint of heart. It's not for complainers. You have to be bold. Persevere. Relentlessly pursue your passion. Regardless of fear. Regardless of rejection. Regardless of how difficult.

These are truisms.

Comment

Some sources say writing a pilot episode is meaningless since it undermines flexibility and producers will already have to change drastically hence it is better to write just summaries of every episodes in season 1 what do you think?
                  Question those questionable sources about that first comment. Anyone could take those uncopyrighted summaries and twist them myriad ways into viable screen stories in the form of a copyrighted script.

If you submitted summaries, how would anyone know if you're able to write the script? Why would they believe you could write the script if you didn't do so? You can only prove it to them by writing it.

Your pilot script is your calling card. It's supposed to prove you can properly execute a story. Whether for feature or television, screenwriters write screenplays; they don't submit summaries in lieu of a script.

Choose the best format with which to write your stories—prose, plays, or screen—and pursue your writing goals to the best of your ability. Best of luck.
                  Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-19-2021, 04:56 AM.
                  “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Some sources say writing a pilot episode is meaningless since it undermines flexibility and producers will already have to change drastically hence it is better to write just summaries of every episodes in season 1 what do you think?
                    Have you already written the script? If so, maybe search for "tv script contests 2021" and see if you like any of them.

Comment

------

Comment

Otuken, in general, and I say generally because unlike writing features and the manner in which we go about marketing it is different from TV Pilot - series/episodic.
                        - A feature concludes. It's written with a plot in mind. A pilot is but the beginning of a long-running series and will conclude with a hook.
                        - Your pilot is the set up to your series - and not the series. The entire series will run off the premise, world, and characters you create. As series are mainly character-driven, and we going to spend so much time with them, the character set is of most importance. Their back story too, as it's important to understand where they came from to understand why they are driven to get where they want to. In most cases, this will be the core of the series - the obstacles, struggles, emotions, they need to overcome.
                        - Cooper said it well: Well, unless you're a proven, produced, established television/screenwriter, your idea for a series is just another undeveloped idea from someone who hasn't demonstrated he/she can write anything whatsoever. A killer pilot, along with a detailed series treatment sells the series.
                        - Accompanying your pilot must be a well-written pitch doc (normally for episodes) or a series bible. In either, you going to want to write (tell) a short synopsis for about the first season, and be sure each flows one into the next - move the story forward.

* Market your pitch doc or series bible. It's more informative and shorter to read than your pilot. If they like it? They'll request you to send the pilot script.

All the best forward.

Comment

----
                          Last edited by Otuken; 04-08-2022, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry John View Post
                            Otuken, in general, and I say generally because unlike writing features and the manner in which we go about marketing it is different from TV Pilot - series/episodic.
                            - A feature concludes. It's written with a plot in mind. A pilot is but the beginning of a long-running series and will conclude with a hook.
                            - Your pilot is the set up to your series - and not the series. The entire series will run off the premise, world, and characters you create. As series are mainly character-driven, and we going to spend so much time with them, the character set is of most importance. Their back story too, as it's important to understand where they came from to understand why they are driven to get where they want to. In most cases, this will be the core of the series - the obstacles, struggles, emotions, they need to overcome.
                            - Cooper said it well: Well, unless you're a proven, produced, established television/screenwriter, your idea for a series is just another undeveloped idea from someone who hasn't demonstrated he/she can write anything whatsoever. A killer pilot, along with a detailed series treatment sells the series.
                            - Accompanying your pilot must be a well-written pitch doc (normally for episodes) or a series bible. In either, you going to want to write (tell) a short synopsis for about the first season, and be sure each flows one into the next - move the story forward.

* Market your pitch doc or series bible. It's more informative and shorter to read than your pilot. If they like it? They'll request you to send the pilot script.

All the best forward.
                            If you pilot only CONCLUDES with the hook, you are doing it wrong. That needs to be very early, especially as an unproven writer. I'm talking first X number of pages early.

Also, this is bad advice "As series are mainly character-driven" because, IMO, EVERYTHING is character driven. If it ISN'T character driven, I don't think it will work at a professional level.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry John View Post
                              Otuken, I've been a professional TV writer/producer/showrunner for more than 25 years. Barry is giving you bad advice. Polish your logline and use that to query, and if they like it they'll request the script.

Comment

Working...
                              X