Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by figment View Post
    So to piggyback this — would it be acceptable if you you just wrote all the episodes of a limited series? If the limited series were only 6 episodes it’s not likely that you would need a writers room…? Or is that not done?
    It is not a good idea to write all the episodes. As Jeff said, a pilot (to show you can write) and a mini bible that lays out where the show goes. You save your self a lot of time you could be writing other things. Also, anyone you attach (showrunner/producer/actors etc.) will want their input and any note they have on the pilot could ripple through your other five episodes so it is honestly a waste of your time to write them.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post

It is not a good idea to write all the episodes. As Jeff said, a pilot (to show you can write) and a mini bible that lays out where the show goes. You save your self a lot of time you could be writing other things. Also, anyone you attach (showrunner/producer/actors etc.) will want their input and any note they have on the pilot could ripple through your other five episodes so it is honestly a waste of your time to write them.
      This sounds like good advice to me. And also easier in a way. I know many writers who tell me they are writing an entire series and I see the joy in that, but it's probably coming from the novel world where that happens. Back to our novellas discussion.

I wonder if someone wrote a TV pilot and then for the other 5 episodes wrote it in more prose -- a novella maybe -- then you could show reps this pilot and producers, then say if you like that, check out this Amazon link where you can read more and adapt them also for TV. So then they can give their input and feel more involved in writing the next 5 episodes...

So you can bring your own IP with your spec script?

Northbank -- no idea who you are in real life and don't need to know -- but can you hint if you are a pro TV writer or film? Or both? Good to have you around.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

This sounds like good advice to me. And also easier in a way. I know many writers who tell me they are writing an entire series and I see the joy in that, but it's probably coming from the novel world where that happens. Back to our novellas discussion.

I wonder if someone wrote a TV pilot and then for the other 5 episodes wrote it in more prose -- a novella maybe -- then you could show reps this pilot and producers, then say if you like that, check out this Amazon link where you can read more and adapt them also for TV. So then they can give their input and feel more involved in writing the next 5 episodes...

So you can bring your own IP with your spec script?

Northbank -- no idea who you are in real life and don't need to know -- but can you hint if you are a pro TV writer or film? Or both? Good to have you around.
          I don't think a prose version of the remaining five episodes would really count as IP as we know it. If one can't explain the show in a mini bible then the issue is not the format or length of doc.

Writing the entire series in advance is generally considered an amateur move. Pros know they could get a big note (or lots!) on the pilot. Writing all episodes can be seen as a red flag, someone who will be reluctant to make the big changes.

And finally, perhaps I am not a writer at all.

Comment

It is not a good idea to write all the episodes.
            too late, haha ... head down, full speed ahead. We shall see how it goes!

Comment

And finally, perhaps I am not a writer at all.
              A twist!

Comment

Working...
              X