Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb it Down?

If the Sopranos guy is being told to dumb it down, that's somewhat shocking, yes? "Ambitious TV is over."

Era of complex and ambitious TV is over, says Sopranos creator | The Sopranos | The Guardian

He may be a little bitter too?

Comment

He's being told it's "too complex." Which is a polite way of saying it's confusing. (I'm not saying the exec is right, but they might be.)

The Sopranos is amazing, but I wouldn't call it complex. Great characters, great actors, boobs and violence. I think that all still plays.

Comment

I've watched the Sopranos probably twenty times straight through. I couldn't give you more than a paragraph on Barone Sanitation or the Esplanade Project. Because no one cares about that, we cared about the characters. They were complex. And I'd argue that by-and-large with prestige stuff, you can't have a show today without complex characters. I mean, look at Succession. The bar is even higher now. The Sopranos pilot is bizarrely not great by the standards of modern pilots. It's almost campy.

To Bono's point, Chase is his mother's son. He's the greatest TV writer ever and oversaw the greatest drama room in TV history, IMO. But he's a lunatic and there's always someone that's out to get him and he's just an oppressed auteur. Albrecht was telling him they couldn't whack Fabian Petrullio in COLLEGE. Chase ultimately won the battle - rightly - but much of this is nostalgia for a time that never existed. He's the poster child for a "and such small portions!" lament.

Also, sadly, if you look at the Many Saints Of Newark, I think he's kind lost a few MPH on his fastball.

Comment

To me TV is way more ambitious than it's ever been and he helped create that --- so I think he just got bad feedback on his own work like Jeff said and Chase assumed it applied to the entire industry. A cranky 78 old white man? Who da thunk?

Comment

While he's not wrong that we're slipping out of the golden age of peak TV (mostly for economic reasons that we're all aware of) I disagree that TV is entering some kind of backwards period of devolution.

As for his main gripe - it's impossible to say if he's right or wrong without knowing WHAT the project is and WHAT the notes were. But I agree with Jeff, if I had guess it sounds like he's probably making a mountain out of a mole hole.

I think there's sometimes a misconception in our community that it's only amateurs who don't know how to take notes gracefully. But I used to work as an assistant to a successful writer and they would take even the slightest criticism of their work super personally. I can't tell you how many times I saw them huffing and puffing after notes calls. Meanwhile I'd be sitting their thinking "What are flipping out about? The notes weren't even that bad!"

Comment

All good thoughts. Thanks. I just thought if they don’t trust him with his track record who would they trust?

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                All good thoughts. Thanks. I just thought if they don’t trust him with his track record who would they trust?
                Look at the struggle to get Killers Of The Flower Moon and Megalopolis made. It’s not like Chase - despite making the best show ever - has as good a track record as Scorcese or Coppola.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                  I mean... it's been 16 years since his only hit went off the air. All praise to that show, but he's not Chuck Lorre.

Comment

I like Bookie.

Comment

TED the TV show was made just for me. I'm in love.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...215206729.html

Is may be ONE show, but it's THE ONLY SHOW to so many people in a way... so I can understand how that may go to someone's head.

I think there is a movie in just taking a tour like this.

Comment

I just read two TV drama Pilots by members here this week. See, I can be serious too!

One pilot was based on their own mystery/crime novel and the other based on their real life. Both rooted in family dynamics. Just like The Sopranos. It never gets old when you start from your real life in some way... Chase and his mother's relationship lead to 86 episodes of greatness...

I enjoyed both pilots in different ways... both are probably mini series / prestige TV.

Both talented women writers who get a 9 out of 10 on Bono's List. Always room for improvement. Notes were FREE. I should really raise my prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                            I just read two TV drama Pilots by members here this week. See, I can be serious too!

One pilot was based on their own mystery/crime novel and the other based on their real life. Both rooted in family dynamics. Just like The Sopranos. It never gets old when you start from your real life in some way... Chase and his mother's relationship lead to 86 episodes of greatness...

I enjoyed both pilots in different ways... both are probably mini series / prestige TV.

Both talented women writers who get a 9 out of 10 on Bono's List. Always room for improvement. Notes were FREE. I should really raise my prices.
                            Well, hell's bells. You wanna be my manager? Thank you by the way. Check your email.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                              INotes were FREE. I should really raise my prices.
                              You could probably even double your fee without any complaint.​

Comment

Working...
                              X