Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting script to pilot

I was requested to convert a script into a pilot cause it'll sell. Has anyone ever done this? I've read a few pilots and tried to compare it with my screenplay and I could of see some of the differences.
    Last edited by montevideo; 06-15-2011, 08:20 AM.

Re: converting script to pilot

I found your first sentence much more interesting than your actual question. I know you won't provide any additional details on your situation; no one ever does.

That said, I'd think about how much of the feature should be in the pilot. The whole thing? Do you see the basic plot of the feature as taking a whole season to resolve? Once you figure that out, rewrite whatever portion of the feature into a pilot, making sure to hit the act out breaks much harder than they might otherwise be in a feature.

Comment

i wrote a story that is similar but different but an exec thought it was too similar even though in my eyes the plot, characters and voice of the story were much different. he recommended turning it into a pilot cause it'll do well.

Comment

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
        i wrote a story that is similar but different but an exec thought it was too similar even though in my eyes the plot, characters and voice of the story were much different. he recommended turning it into a pilot cause it'll do well.

If it's a comedy, keep it to 30 pages. Drama, 60-90. The trick is having the characters so likable, you want to see them every week.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Re: Converting script to pilot

the reason why i posted in this section was because this exec threw my thought process off balance. so I started thinking more about what I've written and came to these two words: so what!

The tone, character, plot, mood, pace and rhythm are different. Take a film like tell no one which is being remade with a differing plot, what do you say about that? Or any other similar or same or remake or whatever, it may have the same or similar scenes but my above reasons could make it different on screen.

So i may not turn this script into a tv pilot but may create a pilot anyhow on another cool idea.

Comment

Just figure out the changes you need to make so that either the conflict can last 100 episodes or that the "episode conflict" can be resolved but there is a series arc that can run 100 episodes. Oh, and if it's a feature script, unless you are looking at a back door pilot it will probably need to be about half as long.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by montevideo View Post
              I was requested to convert a script into a pilot cause it'll sell. Has anyone ever done this? I've read a few pilots and tried to compare it with my screenplay and I could of see some of the differences.
              I've done this. Had a feature that got positive responses but was passed on 'cause people didn't think they could sell it. One set of producers thought the concept would make a great TV show and suggested turning it into a TV pilot. Was reluctant at first 'cause I never thought of doing TV before. But eventually decided to go with it.

Kept the concept and the core characters. Came up with a new storyline specifically for the pilot. It all felt part of the same world.

They believed it could sell. Still waiting on that sale though.

Comment

I converted one of my features into a pilot. I was surprised that a lot of the beats fell where I would break it into acts for my pilot.

TV develops slower than movies so you don't want to rush things because you have to think, this is theoretically drug out over several seasons. Don't expose your character's traits and flaws all at once. I think most pilots present a problem and find a solution within that time (not sure about 1/2 hour comedies). Usually acts end with some sort of cliffhanger or the reader learns something new. Think of the commercials in between (possibl at the end of your acts) you want them to stay tuned through it to see what happens next.

Err, but I'm no expert on TV since I've only written one pilot for my reps. They loved it so maybe I did something half right. Read a few and get a feel for the pacing. Something probably close the genre you are writing.
                Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
                X