Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting together your TV package

I'm curious about what shows you have specced, and what makes up your overall package.

My husband have a sort of action-comedy-zombie package. So we have an action comedy pilot, a Parks and Rec spec, and a Walking Dead spec that has more comedic moments than the show usually does. We're also working on a spec for Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23.

We also have an action/comedy/zombie screenplay, as well as a second action comedy screenplay so we have some depth of samples.

How have you all decided to structure your TV samples?
    writertypepeople.tumblr.com
    twitter.com/susanlbridges
    pendantaudio.com

Re: Putting together your TV package

What you wouldn't necessarily want is for someone to read your Walking Dead, ask what else you had, and send them a half-hour script, because they'd be confused what kind of show you really want to write.

Fellowships advise applicants to have portfolios of a similar type - specifically comedy or drama. However, writers are often advised to have variety within those. So, for example, a comedy writer should have a single or multi pilot, a single cam spec sample, and a multi or animated spec sample. A drama writer would want a pilot, a soap spec (like Walking Dead), and maybe a procedural spec (or a show that's more a procedural, like say Justified).

So you could take your comedy pilot with your Parks & Rec and Apt 23 and have a comedy portfolio, though you might want to think of a cable or animated comedy to round out the portfolio with some more variety. Or you could take your Walking Dead, an action feature, and a third TV script (probably want a spec, but pilot would work) and have an action drama portfolio.

All that is to say... keep writing! The more samples the better. I really like to match material to reader, so if I have a reader who like multi cameras I can have a spec and a couple pilots while for another reader who likes drama I can have a drama spec and a feature.

Comment

We're beyond exhausted right now so at this point we're not working on an more samples. You're right about not leading with the Walking Dead sample though.

We have our action comedy pilot over at one agency right now, and we have another writer reading a few of our samples to recommend to his agent. So we're in good shape at the moment thankfully.

I'm not sure I want to do a multicam sample because I really don't like multicam!
      pendantaudio.com

Comment

Totally get that - only write what you want to and like. But... never stop writing samples. I've lost count of how many specs I've done... and I'm still trying to get better. I know it can be tiring, but always be outlining the next thing!

Comment

as a recovering attorney, my spec 1-hour pilot is the obligatory legal drama. my spec 1/2 hour is a sci-fi comedy. i'm currently working on a new spec drama pilot in more of an action vein.

for existing shows, i've got a couple White Collars and a Mad Men. my next drama spec is probably going to be Boardwalk Empire

sitcoms, a couple Parks & Rec and i'm thinking about a Wilfred for the upcoming fellowship/contest season.

i don't have a specific branding strategy, other than showcasing my voice and writing shows that either i enjoy watching and that i hope readers would enjoy reading, or that i think i would like to see on the air

Comment

Yeah, the work in progress is Don't Trust the B. It's about half plotted. I wish I had time to write it this month, but we've got other writing to do!
            pendantaudio.com

Comment

I think being a former attorney will help you with legal dramas or procedurals. Was your background criminal law?

I figure Mad Men would be tough to spec. It's so serialized.
              pendantaudio.com

Comment

i did a little of everything, criminal and civil, which has been helpful

and yes, my Mad Men spec (among other problems being essentially my first drama attempt) totally misread the end of a season and where things would pick up at the start of the next season. i think i have a better grasp on dealing with that issue now, but it is always a risk with those types of shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Susanlbridges View Post
                  Yeah, the work in progress is Don't Trust the B. It's about half plotted. I wish I had time to write it this month, but we've got other writing to do!
                  If you've only half-plotted it... you may not want to finish it. The show's ratings are low and it might not come back.

Comment

Originally posted by killertv View Post
                    If you've only half-plotted it... you may not want to finish it. The show's ratings are low and it might not come back.
                    Man, somehow I missed those reports. I probably didn't want to see them. I'm sad. It's a great show. ;_;
                    pendantaudio.com

Comment

TVbythenumbers.com has a great cancellation index which helps track how shows are doing vs. network averages to date. it's my goto!

Comment

Originally posted by killertv View Post
                        TVbythenumbers.com has a great cancellation index which helps track how shows are doing vs. network averages to date. it's my goto!
                        Thanks, will dry my tears with printouts. :P
                        pendantaudio.com

Comment

Word on the street is, managers nowadays look for an original spec along with existing specs samples. I don't know from experience, mind you. That's just word on the street.
                          "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                          - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                            Word on the street is, managers nowadays look for an original spec along with existing specs samples. I don't know from experience, mind you. That's just word on the street.
                            No, you're right, and we do have that. I was just curious about what other people had put together.
                            pendantaudio.com

Comment

Last year I got an agent (who reps mostly TV directors and some writers) by showing him an original 1/2 hour pilot and a feature. I don't think writing specs for existing shows is worth your time these days. Better two original TV pilots.

Comment

Working...
                              X