Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are folks speccing this season?

Curious what people think about this: I have a Modern Family, but it's a S1. Lily is a baby and there's a story line which is very similar to one that was done in S2 or 3. Think's it's still a viable sample? I'm guessing no, but curious what others think. Thanks!

Comment

Why Go On?

Comment

Originally posted by Boots View Post
        Curious what people think about this: I have a Modern Family, but it's a S1. Lily is a baby and there's a story line which is very similar to one that was done in S2 or 3. Think's it's still a viable sample? I'm guessing no, but curious what others think. Thanks!
        It's viable, but you should have a more recent spec that's more viable. Dated specs still get read, though they're not usually the best foot forward, especially if the show has done a similar episode. If you can't retrofit it, it might be best to move on.

Comment

Hi all! I'd really like to write a Homeland spec, but I could use some advice on how to do a spec of something that intensely serialized. Basically, I feel like it's pretty much impossible to write an episode of that show that could fit in anywhere, since so much changes with each episode, right? So would it be best to write my version of Season 3 Episode 1? I feel like I would have to make a lot of big decisions about the direction of the show going forward, given what happened in the season two finale, and I don't know if it's wise to do that... but what are the alternatives? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comment

My $.02: it's a big gamble. If the show takes a different direction than your spec, it will make a poor, if not unusable sample. Some shows are just not speccable (is that a word?). I remember several people wanting to do "24" specs years ago, but it just couldn't be done. If it's a storyline that can't be resolved within the episode, I wouldn't try it. But, again, just my $.02

Comment

I wouldn't call it a gamble, because lots of people are speccing it. You just have to find a stand-alone story within that world. You could build off the last episode; I did something similar after season two of Deadwood and it worked out pretty well. It's definitely harder to spec a serialized show, but it's done all the time. And I think that's more of an issue than anything - Homeland's a hot spec right now, which means people will be sick of reading them soon.

Comment

If anyone else is submitting to Nick and would like to do a last minute exchange/critique, feel free to PM me. Good luck to all!

Comment

Working...
                X