Pitch bible with pics of contemporary real-life persons an unacknowledged art?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch bible with pics of contemporary real-life persons an unacknowledged art?

Can pics taken from the web be used in a show bible?

Thanks.

edit: "and unacknowledged art"

Hi...I'm creating a detailed bible for a pitch which uses images of contemporary persons culled from the web (politicians such as Romney, famous actors in similar character roles from other shows, etc)...and...CG art taken from sci-fi flick screenshots, websites, etc., (unacknowledged, without permission, and unpaid as of yet).

Is it ok to pass this bible around to friends - and potentially agents? If the bible itself were ever sold in an 'art of book' (vain dream) or drifted out onto the web (if the show were picked up) I would be able to contact, acknowledge, and of course pay the artists...but right now the project is low-profile and zero budget. (If the show were ever picked up these artists would be hired.)

Any issues with this approach?? (The show is near-term sci-fi and requires a detailed orientation bible.)

Thanks
    Last edited by oceanbluesky; 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM. Reason: sp error
    @oceanbluesky

Re: Pitch bible with pics of contemporary real-life persons an unacknowledged art?

Hello?? LOL is there another forum to which I could submit this amature's question?
    @oceanbluesky

Comment

Re: Pitch bible with pics of contemporary real-life persons an unacknowledged art?

Originally posted by oceanbluesky View Post
      Can pics taken from the web be used in a show bible?

Thanks.

edit: "and unacknowledged art"

Hi...I'm creating a detailed bible for a pitch which uses images of contemporary persons culled from the web (politicians such as Romney, famous actors in similar character roles from other shows, etc)...and...CG art taken from sci-fi flick screenshots, websites, etc., (unacknowledged, without permission, and unpaid as of yet).

Is it ok to pass this bible around to friends - and potentially agents? If the bible itself were ever sold in an 'art of book' (vain dream) or drifted out onto the web (if the show were picked up) I would be able to contact, acknowledge, and of course pay the artists...but right now the project is low-profile and zero budget. (If the show were ever picked up these artists would be hired.)

Any issues with this approach?? (The show is near-term sci-fi and requires a detailed orientation bible.)

Thanks
      "Borrowing" images from the web for personal use (like for illustrative purposes in a private document) is one thing. Turning around and trying to sell a document with those images to the public is another thing entirely... and believe me when I say you do not want to be in a situation where you have to go back and get a copyright owner's permission to use their work after the fact.

The real issue is what you intend to do with this document. People in the industry use web images all the time in project presentations, pitches, etc. But they absolutely, positively, have no intention of making those documents available for public use or purchase. If that's your ultimate intent, you should probably look into securing the rights for anything you use to avoid a huge legal headache later.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalScribe View Post
        People in the industry use web images all the time in project presentations, pitches, etc.
        Basically, the answer is yes, you can, and it's fine. Especially if you're just sending to friends. I'm not aware of agents interested in reading show bibles, as I'm under the impression they much prefer to read spec pilots. But if they loved your spec pilot and asked if you had a bible, you'd be able to send them the one you got. It's understood to be a promotional device - it's not like you want the cast to ever see who your "dream cast" of them was.

Comment

"Borrowing" images from the web for personal use (like for illustrative purposes in a private document) is one thing. Turning around and trying to sell a document with those images to the public is another thing entirely... and believe me when I say you do not want to be in a situation where you have to go back and get a copyright owner's permission to use their work after the fact.
          This is a very classy thing that someone did in that situation:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/dkny.asp

Comment

"People in the industry use web images all the time in project presentations, pitches, etc. But they absolutely, positively, have no intention of making those documents available for public use or purchase."
            Originally posted by killertv View Post
            "It's understood to be a promotional device"
            Thanks for the clarifications! I am completely new to this and was absolutely unaware web images are used in project presentations "all the time".

@60WordsPerHour that was a classy thing...very sympathetic to the plight of those facing copyright violations.

Thank you all, cheers
            Last edited by oceanbluesky; 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM. Reason: sp
            @oceanbluesky

Comment

There is absolutely ZERO reason for you to include images, pics, video, of any kind unless otherwise asked to... and I can't see why it would be called for. If they don't get the idea of what is needed strictly from your writing, then you did something wrong.

Keep in mind that movies and TV are a collective struggle, for better or worse. That means, be happy that your script, your idea, your series has been chosen... but then the ex-prod's will have their ideas on how the tale should be told, the director(s) will have a say in how it will be told, the actors will have a say in how the scenes should sound and manifest.

Forget images and other such nonsense as your list of "dream cast" unless they ask. Just write an effing mind-blowing pilot they can't put down, create a WRITTEN Bible that fascinates them, and allow them to do their job and find the right people to do the job. Hopefully, if they're a credible prodco, they'll have a better idea than you anyways.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Not to step on anyone's toes, but I think guiltypleasures may have overstated his/her case.

Yes, the writing should sing so loudly the reader can visualize everything themselves. Yes, producers, network execs, and studio executives will have their own ideas.

But in the course of pitching your idea, instead of just saying "Our main character is BOB, think a Bradley Cooper type" you CAN have a one pager for the people you're pitching to that has all your characters' names next to stock photos of the actor you're describing. It's not a casting suggestion, it's a visual clue.

I don't normally do it, but I did for one cable pitch, and the producers encouraged the idea when my partner and I brought it up. They had 2 cable hits on the air at the time and have a dozen projects set up at networks any given year, so I'd like to think they knew what they were doing.

That particular pitch didn't sell, but got the best feedback from any network and studio execs I've dealt with (including compared to ones that DID sell, go figure) for being super clean and easy to follow. The visual aid helped.

Is it necessary? Nope. I haven't used it since, but I wouldn't tell someone to never do it. I know other pros who have used similar print outs while pitching.

Focus on everything ELSE first, of course. The concept, idea, characters, and execution is what counts. But a visual aid with 4-5 IMDB photos you don't own isn't unheard of.

Comment

Originally posted by zhyatt View Post
                  But a visual aid with 4-5 IMDB photos you don't own isn't unheard of.
                  Agreed. I think casting might be the reasonable limit for photos in a pitch bible. I would stay away from sci-fi images, especially designs from other projects.

Comment

Working...
                  X