Does spec script have to be current with the show?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does spec script have to be current with the show?

I've been working on a Parks and Recreation spec script for the WB Writer's Workshop, but I don't know whether I have to set it in the current timeline of the show. Ideally, the episode I'm writing would fit more into Season 3 of the show.

On the application page for the contest, WB writes

"Please include a 'Previously On' page, after your title page if your show is serialized. The 'Previously On' page lets the reader know where your episode takes place in the series and what has been happening emotionally for your main characters. It should be in paragraph form and not longer than a page.
    A show like P&R is in a gray area, because it's both episodic and serialized.

Re: Does spec script have to be current with the show?

I take serialized to mean more like a "Lost" or "Homeland" type of story where each episode is a chapter in a season-long novel.

Sitcoms are mostly self-contained -- the characters in a different situation each week -- even if there might be a story arc that spans the season.

Comment

I know they have you do a "previously on" page which you describe where your episode would fall into their season(s).

I guess it depends. If a show is in its 6th season you probably wouldn't want to do a spec in the 2nd season but I'm sure a season or two behind is okay as long as its unique and not in the direction they ended up going.

I would be a little more worried that P&R is a little long in the tooth which I heard apparently matters with these programs. I did a Dexter spec last year and when I met with the woman who runs one of the programs she said Dexter has been around a while and specced a lot so either A) readers are tired of reading it B) to stand out from other Dexter specs it had to be spectacular C) doing a newer show is somewhat better.

But you do the best you can and that's all you can do.
      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks.

Ducky - I've heard similar feedback regarding older shows being over-specced (is that a word?). For me though it comes down to knowing the tone of the show having confidence in being able to execute it.

I think the core plot I have for the episode works independent of any season. The issue is with where the characters are individually, particularly with my B and C plots. If a character is married, they will probably act differently than they would if they're single.

Comment

I'm facing a similar dilemma with my SOUTHLAND spec (outside it being canceled, of course), because of what happened in the last two episodes. I've learned that it's perfectly okay to find a point in time during the current season and drop you spec in there. Of course, if a character dies, especially a high-profile one, you'll have to account for that. But you don't have to worry about that with P&R.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            Sitcoms are mostly self-contained -- the characters in a different situation each week -- even if there might be a story arc that spans the season.
            I remember reading OFFICE specs during the run after they had a baby and the spec set them before their first kiss. So I think sitcoms can also have the problem, but as long as it's within a season or two it's okay. If the show has just left that situation in the dust, I think you need more recent material unless someone specifically requests to read your OFFICE spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Frap View Post
              I've been working on a Parks and Recreation spec script for the WB Writer's Workshop, but I don't know whether I have to set it in the current timeline of the show. Ideally, the episode I'm writing would fit more into Season 3 of the show.
              I think the bigger issue is that they'll think your script has been sitting around since season 3. If they don't feel like it's fresh, that could work against you.
              writertypepeople.tumblr.com
              twitter.com/susanlbridges
              pendantaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                I'm facing a similar dilemma with my SOUTHLAND spec (outside it being canceled, of course), because of what happened in the last two episodes. I've learned that it's perfectly okay to find a point in time during the current season and drop you spec in there. Of course, if a character dies, especially a high-profile one, you'll have to account for that. But you don't have to worry about that with P&R.
                I'd like to read that spec.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Frap,

First of all, I wouldn't worry too much about P&R being overspec'd. It's nearing that cusp, but I believe it's not at that Modern Family point just yet. The important thing is making sure you differentiate between characters' voices.

The more current you keep it, the better off you're going to be. Susan is right, you don't want it to seem stale. Do everything you can to keep it fresh, funny, and unique.

Good luck!
                  http://twitter.com/gregbrainos
                  http://www.facebook.com/greg.brainos

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                    I know they have you do a "previously on" page which you describe where your episode would fall into their season(s).
                    Does anyone have an example of what this "previously on" page should look like? I've spec'd a serialized show for my applications and I wanted to confirm that I'm doing this page correctly. Is it just a paragraph or so explaining, in prose form, where this show begins, or is it a series of bullet points?

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by MAOshea View Post
                      Does anyone have an example of what this "previously on" page should look like? I've spec'd a serialized show for my applications and I wanted to confirm that I'm doing this page correctly. Is it just a paragraph or so explaining, in prose form, where this show begins, or is it a series of bullet points?

Just curious.
                      I'm not sure if there is a standard way to do it. I just did it in paragraph form, I think mine was maybe 2 -- 3 at most.

Just telling what season we're in, what's happened before between main characters that you'll touch on in your script, etc.

I wouldn't go super super long but then again maybe there's no right or wrong way.
                      Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
                      X