Are producers less likely to want a series that has already been self e-published?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are producers less likely to want a series that has already been self e-published?

Hi everyone,
    this is my first post here. I have an idea for a mystery series that i wanted to write as a TV series but after studying some of the threads here, I see that some say even if you win a contest you may not be able to sell your pilot and even if you do sell a pilot, it could take years for it to be made or it might never be made.

So I'd like to write Book 1 of the series as a novel and perhaps self e-publish it on the Kindle. If i do that, then can i also write a pilot based on Book 1 and enter contests with it? Are producers less likely to want a series that has already been self e-published, especially since it is a mystery series? Meaning all the surprises we get when we watch How to Get Away with Murder will be gone since every twist will already be out there in novel form and anyone could just read that if they're curious.

I'd rather write it as a TV series but since its so tough to sell one, i'd rather at least have it in novel form since i can sell that.

I'm not keen on trying to get a traditional publisher for it since they give paltry advances and bad contracts. Sure, i'd love one if they gave a huge advance but that is most unlikely.

Thanks for any answers.

Are producers less likely to want a series that has already been self e-published?

If you'd rather write it as a TV series, then write it as a TV series. Don't be discouraged by how hard it might be. This is a marathon, not a sprint. I was recently staffed on a show with a young lady who wrote a spec script while she was working as a receptionist at a law firm. Her spec was eventually turned into a TV show that ran for an entire season. Now she has a career. Give it a shot as a TV pilot, you never know.

Comment

thanks, artisone. I forgot to mention i live outside the US. If i could move to LA i would but there is no chance i could immigrate for teh foreseeable future. For me i think it makes sense to write it as a novel first but my question is, will there be any issues if i do that and then adapt book 1 and submit the pilot to contests?

Comment

Re: starting with a self-published book

Hollywood tends to prefer projects that already have found an audience. If your book becomes a big hit, Hollywood would consider that a plus -- it would be less risky for them to make it knowing they would attract the viewers who already love the book. If your self-published novel doesn't sell well, IMHO it would neither help nor hurt your chances of turning the same story into a TV series.

Comment

series that has already been self e-published?

Not if it has a following (built-in audience).

Comment

Working...
          X