No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premium Cable Script Questions

Hi, everyone!

I know the traditional 4/5 act structure for broadcast, but what about HBO/Showtime structure? So far, I've read different opinions on this, from including the labeled acts, to not doing so.

For an original pilot, for a contest, what would others recommend?

Also, regarding page length...articles have said 45-63 pages is the range, give or take. With slight variations, it's made me further confused as to the length it should be. Again, all in respect to HBO/Showtime programs. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-17-2017, 12:34 PM. Reason: Formatting

Re: Premium Cable Script Questions

for cable - don't put in act breaks. about sixty pages is fine give or take a few in either direction. No need to overthink this.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
      for cable - don't put in act breaks. about sixty pages is fine give or take a few in either direction. No need to overthink this.

Thanks Jim! That's what I was thinking--no acts. Appreciate your help.

Comment

I write in premium cable. I use no act breaks. And pilots can be anywhere from 60-70 pages (if you really need 70 pages) but try to stay on the 60-67 pages track for a premium cable pilot if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
          I write in premium cable. I use no act breaks. And pilots can be anywhere from 60-70 pages (if you really need 70 pages) but try to stay on the 60-67 pages track for a premium cable pilot if you can.

Thank you so much for your reply, Deion! Very useful.

Comment

The people who posted are obviously correct but FWIW, if you're thinking about submitting your script to a contest - specifically PAGE - they have a judging category that is specifically about format. Even if you know in your heart it's supposed to be premium cable, they tend to take points off for lack of act breaks. At least they did maybe five or seven years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
              The people who posted are obviously correct but FWIW, if you're thinking about submitting your script to a contest - specifically PAGE - they have a judging category that is specifically about format. Even if you know in your heart it's supposed to be premium cable, they tend to take points off for lack of act breaks. At least they did maybe five or seven years ago?

Cvolante, thanks for your reply! It isn't PAGE, but I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Working...
              X