Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about spec scripts

Hello. New arrival and I was just wondering if you could cue me in on a couple of things. I said in another post that I would love to be part of a writer's room experience. That is very much the truth. I was just wondering what the best route would be to get there.

My first question is, what would be the best shows to write spec scripts for? I have chosen three shows that I have thought would be great for me to work with because I love fantasy and horror: Supernatural, The Shannara Chronicles, and Ash Vs. Evil Dead. Supernatural I know pretty well, as I have watched since very early on. I have watched the first season of Ash and will soon move on to the second. Shannara I think would just sort of be fun to play with. Thoughts on these or if I should change it up a bit?

Second question is, do agents look at spec scripts, and take on clients based on them? I don't know, I'm starting on the bottom rung. So you all probably know far more than I.

Lastly, how do I get this kind of stuff in front of the right people? Also something I really don't know. The agent would usually be the middle man between writer and production company/studio, but sadly I don't have an agent. I would love one, but they're hard to get even for fiction writers. Again, I will trust to your knowledge.

Thank you very much for reading this. Any information you can give would be very much appreciated!!
    I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Re: Questions about spec scripts

Originally posted by LithodoraGamgee View Post
    Hello. New arrival and I was just wondering if you could cue me in on a couple of things. I said in another post that I would love to be part of a writer's room experience. That is very much the truth. I was just wondering what the best route would be to get there.
    The fastest route is to be talented and closely related to a showrunner. Most first jobs are based on knowing someone. The most common first job for a writer is as a writers asst., writers PA, or showrunner's asst. Aaron Fullerton's story can be instructive here, I think. Aaron took any jobs he could get in the business to make contacts and gain experience. And that was after graduating from USC with a screenwriting degree.

My first question is, what would be the best shows to write spec scripts for? I have chosen three shows that I have thought would be great for me to work with because I love fantasy and horror: Supernatural, The Shannara Chronicles, and Ash Vs. Evil Dead. Supernatural I know pretty well, as I have watched since very early on. I have watched the first season of Ash and will soon move on to the second. Shannara I think would just sort of be fun to play with. Thoughts on these or if I should change it up a bit?
    Write the series that you like and are passionate about, AND have a great idea for an episode. You should also have some originals also. They can pilots, plays, screenplays, but most showrunners these days want to see original work and possible a sample spec of an existing show.

Second question is, do agents look at spec scripts, and take on clients based on them? I don't know, I'm starting on the bottom rung. So you all probably know far more than I.
    For new writers it's difficult to get an agent to look at your stuff unless you're recommended by someone they trust. Managers are easier to get, but it's still difficult. The work has to be really good.

Lastly, how do I get this kind of stuff in front of the right people? Also something I really don't know. The agent would usually be the middle man between writer and production company/studio, but sadly I don't have an agent. I would love one, but they're hard to get even for fiction writers. Again, I will trust to your knowledge.
    Write great scripts, and meet people who know people.
    Last edited by KitchonaSteve; 09-16-2017, 11:19 AM. Reason: clarity
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Re: Questions about spec scripts

Hello! Sorry for my lateness, I've been busy today. Thank you, thank you for this. It's great advice and It will be useful going forward. Right now trying to finish a second book and I was thinking it would be good to write specs for potential writing jobs with video game developers as they like to see that you have the skills to work with established worlds and characters. Working with developers might create some connections and at least prove I know the format and how to tell a story in screenplay form. But this is very helpful information as I go forward in either endeavor. Thank you!!
      I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

Working...
      X