Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synopsis/Step outline/script

I am trying to send scripts into the TV which is usually a competition [BBC]. I have found it easier to write the script with a good idea of how I want it to flow. Create a step outline using the slug lines and write a brief description of the scene and then a half page synopsis. I did try crating the step outline first but on writing the script I came up with better ideas and let my imagination wander. The step outline went out the window.

This can't be a bad idea can it.

Re: Synopsis/Step outline/script

Not sure I understand what you are asking.

If you are writing for TV there are a few questions that will determine how best to approach it as a writer.

Is it episodic or a serial?

If it's episodic you need to write a pilot and a thin bible of the characters, traits and expectations each episode, etc.

If it's a serial you need to write the pilot and a deeper bible of the characters, story arc, etc.

Episodic you have to decide if it's 30 min or hour episodes. Most serials clock in between 45 mins and around an hour (depending on whether there are commercials or not like Netflix, etc.).

It sounds like what you are describing is a scene list or kinda a beatsheet but for each scene. If that helps you pre-plan your script, I don't see how it's a bad thing at all.

At the end of the day you need to write a complete script.
    You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Working...
    X