Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submitting a Graphic Novel to Agents or Managers

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted, but always found the ideas and advice here helpful. I have a published graphic novel that I'd like to get out as more of an intellectual property than a screenplay and was curious if anyone knew how I might go about that. I have the logline, a sample pdf of the book, and the publishers permission to proceed, but no concrete idea of how. Would this be a matter of sending a logline and an explanation of the product similar to submitting a screenplay?

Thanks for any advice.

(If anybody wants to know what this product is, you can DM me and I'll steer you in that direction. I just didn't want this post to be an advertisement.)
    Last edited by ChadStrohl; 06-29-2021, 07:01 AM.

Maybe some people will disagree with me here, but I interned long ago at a prodco on a lot and I feel like you could probably just send a copy to the junior executive at prodcos with a note attached. "Hey, I made this thing, and the movie rights are available." They probably wouldn't appreciate a script being sent to them if it didn't come through a rep, but having an actual concrete product in your hand strikes me as a different case. Maybe I'm wrong.

Another route would be to contact lit managers. I'm pretty sure Robert Kirkman's company specializes in comic-to-video deals, and you could poke around to see which agents/managers they frequently work with. Those folks would likely know this terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
      Maybe some people will disagree with me here, but I interned long ago at a prodco on a lot and I feel like you could probably just send a copy to the junior executive at prodcos with a note attached. "Hey, I made this thing, and the movie rights are available." They probably wouldn't appreciate a script being sent to them if it didn't come through a rep, but having an actual concrete product in your hand strikes me as a different case. Maybe I'm wrong.
      Do not do this. Never, never, ever send unsolicited material.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadStrohl View Post
        Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted, but always found the ideas and advice here helpful. I have a published graphic novel that I'd like to get out as more of an intellectual property than a screenplay and was curious if anyone knew how I might go about that. I have the logline, a sample pdf of the book, and the publishers permission to proceed, but no concrete idea of how. Would this be a matter of sending a logline and an explanation of the product similar to submitting a screenplay?

Thanks for any advice.

(If anybody wants to know what this product is, you can DM me and I'll steer you in that direction. I just didn't want this post to be an advertisement.)
        You say you have the publisher's permission. For clarity, why did you need that? Do they control any of the rights or are they all yours?

If the graphic novel is published then that's your query - published graphic novel, logline, a link to the publisher site or if that's obscure (no one likes clicking strange links) then Amazon or Comixology so they can see it's legit.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post

Another route would be to contact lit managers. I'm pretty sure Robert Kirkman's company specializes in comic-to-video deals, and you could poke around to see which agents/managers they frequently work with. Those folks would likely know this terrain.
          Thank you for the suggestion. I think I would feel more comfortable with looking at the lit agents, although sending straight to a prodco would be quite bold, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post

You say you have the publisher's permission. For clarity, why did you need that? Do they control any of the rights or are they all yours?

If the graphic novel is published then that's your query - published graphic novel, logline, a link to the publisher site or if that's obscure (no one likes clicking strange links) then Amazon or Comixology so they can see it's legit.
            I asked for permission as a courtesy. The publisher is a small operation and they have some contacts but they also tend to over-saturate pitches with all of the titles in their library. I feel like that might be off-putting so I asked if I could isolate my own title since I have had some experience sending queries for screenplays a while back, and managed to get some reads with my simple and direct approach. They have some alternate media rights as long as I'm under my current contract, which last another few years... so there's that as well.

I thought about the process you mention by sending the logline with the option to get a review copy of the book in pdf if they were interested, while also listing the publisher's website and my listing on Amazon, ComiXology, Diamond Distribution, etc... Whatever would be necessary to show legitimacy. I even have a few pretty good reviews I could share but that might be a tad bit too much icing.

Comment

Working...
            X