Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-----
    Last edited by Otuken; 04-08-2022, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post

if you really want to spend money, try the black list. But don’t pay to maybe get a chance to get one rep.
      What do you think of Virtual Pitchfest? Worth the money?

And please clarify, "But don't pay to..."

Thanks big guy.
      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 09-08-2021, 07:58 AM. Reason: Fixed quote code.

Comment

This has not happened to me looking for reps. But I've heard about this. The confusing part is some of these reps are legit reps with legit sales -- yet they are doing this slimy thing.

However, part of me thinks things are changing as I see like 100 managers offering services for some form of access to them on other websites for something along the lines of $35 to pitch me your logline and I'll critique it. Put of course they are selling "their professional opinion on your logline/idea" but the real gold mind is hoping the rep likes it enough to want to read the script.

So I do think that's 100% more respectable as it's up front and not after an email query -- but it's still in the same neighborhood for me.

People are using social media to get signed and access. Twitter is going to start charging for bigger accounts so maybe some people will start charging to read their film advice and get access to them.

And the blacklist.

Not a fan of this, but maybe this is the new way.

-- A big guy too

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post

What do you think of Virtual Pitchfest? Worth the money?

And please clarify, "But don't pay to..."

Thanks big guy.
          I mean... ten bucks to get someone to read a query letter?

If it's a producer or rep that's desperate for material, they can read hundreds (thousands?) of scripts for free on blacklist, scripts that are already covered and rated and categorized. If it's a producer/rep that's desperate for money... are they going to be any help whatsoever in selling/making your script?

Comment

I mean... ten bucks to get someone to read a query letter?

If it's a producer or rep that's desperate for material, they can read hundreds (thousands?) of scripts for free on blacklist, scripts that are already covered and rated and categorized. If it's a producer/rep that's desperate for money... are they going to be any help whatsoever in selling/making your script?
            Looking at the names on there, there are plenty of legit people at legit places. Most are lower level, which makes sense. They’re just trying to supplement their income. I do think that many of you who are more experienced need to adjust expectations for what is happening at the more junior levels. This is commonplace. Whether or not it’s predatory is another conversation.

I think scouring these sites and finding people to query is a fine strategy. But ten bucks for a guaranteed response doesn’t seem prohibitive.

The best bang for your buck to me is a Stage 32 pitch. I don’t know what it costs these days but it’s much better odds than rolling the dice on the Blcklst if you are being strategic in who you are targeting.

Comment

Anyone who is actively seeking clients or projects will be the kind of person who will spend 30 seconds reading a query email anyway.

Comment

Just looked up Stage 32. 35 f*cking dollars to pitch someone?!

Comment

No, thank you.
                  “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I think they could at least rename it Stage 35 or charge 3 bucks less to make it line up.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post

Looking at the names on there, there are plenty of legit people at legit places. Most are lower level, which makes sense. They’re just trying to supplement their income. I do think that many of you who are more experienced need to adjust expectations for what is happening at the more junior levels. This is commonplace. Whether or not it’s predatory is another conversation.

I think scouring these sites and finding people to query is a fine strategy. But ten bucks for a guaranteed response doesn’t seem prohibitive.

The best bang for your buck to me is a Stage 32 pitch. I don’t know what it costs these days but it’s much better odds than rolling the dice on the Blcklst if you are being strategic in who you are targeting.
                      Logically speaking, 97% of the time it's a pass. Why pay $10 for that kind of return? You can get the same rejection for free.

As far as the blacklist is concerned, I'm still hearing of the same script receiving and 8 and a 3-- that kind of disparity should not exist from a website boasting industry level reading talent. As the writer you're paying for that "free" and convenient source of scripts for the industry. Using the black list will set you back a min of $260. Heard their evals went up to $100 a pop. Then $30/month for each script.
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

That seems like a fine investment if you have the money. A crack at a CE at a good production company? And if they like the pitch, they request and read.

At this point one month on the Blcklst with a single review is going to run you what? 125 with the review and hosting? And anything less than an 8 you’re on the hook for another 100 if you want to make a top list.

I do think there is some incredibly shady sh1t going on with these sites, however. You have to be pretty careful. Many are low level grifters obviously but others will no longer be with the company listed and the site will read like “Bill was the creative executive at Dbag Films” and clearly they are just unemployed at the moment.

Comment

-----
                          Last edited by Otuken; 04-08-2022, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Otuken View Post
                            Do writers purchase scripts in here or other platforms? I would like to share the pilot episode if someone is liked the logline and the teaser.
                            Writers don't buy scripts, they sell them. Did you mean “producers”?

Originally posted by Otuken View Post
                            I just can't concentrate well to write new stories without concluding the fate of Game Theory.
                            Well, you have to move on. Otherwise, like so many writers, you could fall into the trap of monomania. And what will you do when someone reads Game Theory then asks you what else you have? You won't have anything else to show if you haven't written something.

Ideally, you shove Game Theory aside and start another script (different from Game Theory). Whenever you complete this second script, then read Game Theory again. You will be surprised you thought it was ready to go out. You will want to rewrite it.

After you rewrite your first script, naturally you will re-read your second script, and decide that it, too, needs to be rewritten, which you do. Then, you develop another script story, different from the first two, and write that script. Once that's done, you will again read and rewrite your first two scripts while your third script sits in a proverbial desk drawer.

After all of that work, you will read your third script and see that it also needs to be rewritten, but now that you are practiced, maybe less so. Eventually, with several rewrites, each of your scripts will become polished to a point where there is not much that you, their creator, can do to improve them. It will require another writer with a fresh perspective to rewrite them but by then, it is hoped, you will have sold them.

This is the process for rewriting and honing all of your scripts. This is the process for developing your writing skills and “voice.”

When you have rewritten yourself many times over, you will find your style and rhythm as a writer.
                            Last edited by Clint Hill; 09-13-2021, 08:37 AM.
                            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

-----
                              Last edited by Otuken; 04-08-2022, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Paging Mr. Lowell. Mr. Lowell.

Comment

Working...
                                X