Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Real Reps

I've had many reps. I'm looking for a new one. But my pro writer friend who is doing well pretty much said what I always figured. He's still doing most of the work. It's just his hustle this is getting things done. And all his other pro writer friends with big reps feel the same way.

My point is that my reps are really him and other writers I've met on this board. My writer friends are my mangers. They offer notes. Career advice. Support. Sometimes show my work to others in Hollywood that can help me. I try to do the same for all of them.

Best part is when my rep fires me or I fire them, my rep writer friends are still there. Willing and able. Helpful. Always there to read or listen to me bitch.

I just pitched a writer on this board an idea which he liked. Maybe he writes it. Maybe he doesn't. But I realized I was being his manager in that email. And he can be my rep in another.

We are each other's true reps. Never forget that.

Even if you are unrepped as you read this, you've got me. I've got you. You are never truly unrepped if you are a writer with writer friends.

I love the positivity of having each others backs. But also, I'm wary of the broad statements that some writers throw out like "I'm doing all the work myself" which usually is only part of the story. As an example, I know someone who wanted to fire their manager for this reason and was telling a few of us about it. Conversation went something like:

"I got my last job myself."

"How did you do that?"

"The studio exec and I came up with the idea together."

"How did you know them?"

"My manager set up the meeting."

Comment

If you write it, Clint Hill will like it -- Field of Dreams voice.

North -- but blanket statements are how jokes work so that's how my mind thinks. Obviously reps do things we can't do. But the point being, at the end of the day, even when you make it high up, if you just sit there and wait, nothing will happen. Maybe top 1% of writers get jobs just thrown on them I'm sure, but most of us have to try really hard to get the job.

And yes, your story reminds me of that great old joke where a man of faith is in a flood and a firetruck, a boat, and a helicopter come by and offer to rescue him, but he says I'll wait for God to save me. He dies. And meets God. And he asks God, "Why didn't you save me?" And God says, "I sent a truck, a boat and a helicopter to save you!"

Or even better Craig T Nelson said "The government never helped me when I was on welfare."

The point is, you are now in charge of my career North. Sorry, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

And yes, your story reminds me of that great old joke where a man of faith is in a flood and a firetruck, a boat, and a helicopter come by and offer to rescue him, but he says I'll wait for God to save me. He dies. And meets God. And he asks God, "Why didn't you save me?" And God says, "I sent a truck, a boat and a helicopter to save you!"

The point is, you are now in charge of my career North. Sorry, man.
        I sent you a pandemic to keep you at home, writing. What more do you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          If you write it, Clint Hill will like it -- Field of Dreams voice.
          Ha! Good one! Backstory: After a long time of receiving discouraging words, the lesson I learned was to encourage others (but, of course, I am also imperfect).
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
          X