Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
    Ain't **** happenin.' Period. I used to get read requests all the time as a result of querying. Now, it's nothing but crickets.
    Margo. If they bit on your work before… they’ll bite again. Yeah me n dem crickets go waaay back. I hear ya.

I’m of a Mind to MAKE something happen. Will it into existence, so to speak. Tesla n Einstein swear the universe is energy. Tesla says look to the frequencies. Combine that with overwhelming positive vibes—as displayed by so many DD folks, and along with determination—SOMEthing WILL happen. I see the quality of persistence here. That’s another word for integrity. Best of luck.

Comment

• I sent out 50 queries yesterday. I only got two requests. One from Zero Gravity, the other from 3 Arts, my dream company. The 3 Arts request was incredibly awkward though because he thought I was his former intern, and I had to correct him because I don't think it would play well if he found out I was lying to him.

But I think both managers probably already hate me or my script got lost in their inbox. I sent my query at the beginning of my work day on a 200 million dollar budget movie (not a brag, just giving the size and scope of the job), then half my department didn't show up for work because of COVID, and neither did their replacements, also because of COVID, so I had to do the work of three guys on a fairly elaborate set and never got a break for fifteen hours because we were shorthanded, which resulted in me e-mailing them back after business hours over twelve hours after they responded to me.

I explained the situation when I submitted the script, but my guess is I'll never hear from either of them because I'm probably dead to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prezzy View Post
        , which resulted in me e-mailing them back after business hours over twelve hours after they responded to me.

I explained the situation when I submitted the script, but my guess is I'll never hear from either of them because I'm probably dead to them.
        I don't think reps are sitting around keeping track of how many hours and minutes it takes a writer to send a script they requested

Comment

• Trust me, I try to send it right away like it matters... I'm still waiting 4 months to hear back from a rep. So it didn't matter if I sent it 10 seconds or 10 days later -- they still get to it when they get to it. It goes in a pile or folder... we all dream they will open it up right away, but it was one of 50 emails they responded too and already forgot. But hopefully they will read it at some point and love it.

Comment

• Well, I apologize, but that appears to be the unfortunate reality. Or, maybe it's just "real" for me.

Comment

Well, I apologize, but that appears to be the unfortunate reality. Or, maybe it's just "real" for me.
              Don't have to apologize. It's hard as hell. But maybe you can tell us your story so we can help you. I sent out like 1000 emails to get 50 people and half of them ignored me after requested it. Still haven't heard from them.

But I had a high concept comedy that I could pitch using a famous movie "Die hard in a mall" type of thing.

I don't know what you are pitching, but some concepts are just easier to get reads on than others.

Comment

• Hi, Bono. Thank you.

The two projects that I'm actively pitching since cutting ties with my rep, are a female-driven thriller with a director attached. This was once optioned by the EP of "The Dallas Buyers Club." We were going full-tilt with this. The director worked with a New York casting director, we had a finance company involved and some significant interest from talent, location, shoot date, etc. The EP was a bit of a flake. A "my way or the highway" type of dude. My contract was **** but I wanted to see the script made. Old story. Then everything went to **** when the EP decided to take his company in a "truth-based-projects-only" direction. The option fell through and the rights reverted back to me. Thankfully, the director still wants to be involved. He's a total mensch and really helped me through the whole process. Cool, Indie guy, and Canadian.

The thriller has franchise/pilot potential if that matters.

The other script (I have several, including pilots, but these are the two I'm pushing), is a drama, with dark, comedic overtones and inspired by a true story. My former rep thought this would do it for me, but unfortunately, she didn't do enough.

So there you have it. I've been half-heartedly querying producers and other managers, but as I said, it's been tough.

I appreciate your asking.

Comment

Hi, Bono. Thank you.

The two projects that I'm actively pitching since cutting ties with my rep, are a female-driven thriller with a director attached. This was once optioned by the EP of "The Dallas Buyers Club." We were going full-tilt with this. The director worked with a New York casting director, we had a finance company involved and some significant interest from talent, location, shoot date, etc. The EP was a bit of a flake. A "my way or the highway" type of dude. My contract was **** but I wanted to see the script made. Old story. Then everything went to **** when the EP decided to take his company in a "truth-based-projects-only" direction. The option fell through and the rights reverted back to me. Thankfully, the director still wants to be involved. He's a total mensch and really helped me through the whole process. Cool, Indie guy, and Canadian.

The thriller has franchise/pilot potential if that matters.

The other script (I have several, including pilots, but these are the two I'm pushing), is a drama, with dark, comedic overtones and inspired by a true story. My former rep thought this would do it for me, but unfortunately, she didn't do enough.

So there you have it. I've been half-heartedly querying producers and other managers, but as I said, it's been tough.

I appreciate your asking.
                  Canadians are nicer than us! I tried to reach out to Canadian reps by the way and directors after watching some great films by them and I was told sadly they can't work with anyone not based in their neck of the woods. But I assume Canadians can easily work for any American company?

Either way -- that stinks, but still great that you have a director involved! Are they repped and can that lead to landing you a new rep?

Of course it matters -- a thriller is a great genre and franchise potential is huge. Pilot potential -- i don't know what you mean?

---

Your other script -- true story -- yeah those can be tough. Sounds like a drama-comedy. Some subjects are more sensitive than others like suicide of course. Then again, some subjects ilke cancer went from seemingly no one writing about it to tons of movies and TV shows about it, so if your subject is like that, it may just be that and have nothing to do with the material.

My last spec is a pure comedy, but it was inspired by real life and I was doing to make it drama-comedy but I went all comedy and realized the movie itself didn't want to be this heartfelt tearjerker even if the inspiration was inspired by my real life pain. Sometimes, we are so close to the real life stories, we can't make the right story decisions.

I don't know if that's what happened here. But for sure, it stings 100% more when you are not getting traction on your writing about something that means a lot to you because it's based on your own life vs just something you made up.

Comment

• Hey, thanks for the reply, Bono.

Yeah. Canadians are nicer!

By "pilot," I left the ending ambiguous and there is room for a "limited series" I guess you'd call it.

The drama is about me and my parents. Six years ago they were both diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Two months later, I had my own diagnosis of breast cancer. I was very lucky. It was caught early. Them, no so much. They passed nine months later.

In spite of the cancer, it's not a "doom and gloom" story, as my folks were a couple of pistols. My Jewish dad and my Italian mom were a handful. Anyway, as I said, there's a lot of black comedy in it.

Actually, if I had to make a comparison, it's like an "August: Osage County" but darker and funnier. That's what I think, anyway. My former rep likened it to a "Gillian Flynn meets Nora Ephron" type of thing. For whatever that's worth. And not much, apparently! ;-)

I wish you nothing but luck with your spec.

Comment

• Margo,

Honestly that's the stuff that sounds like a movie like THE BIG SICK where it's so unbelievable you can't believe it's 100% true. And as someone who had the cancer and wanted to write a comedy about it -- I 100% love this idea. And I bet it's a great movie that honors your parents.

Hopefully your thriller will lead to success and then you can go back to showing this cancer - drama/comedy around.

Often that's how it works right. I don't think August: Osage County gets made until Tracy was big enough and could get it made. In other words if that was his first spec, he'd also have trouble finding the right home for it. So don't lose faith.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prezzy View Post
                        I sent out 50 queries yesterday. I only got two requests. One from Zero Gravity, the other from 3 Arts, my dream company. The 3 Arts request was incredibly awkward though because he thought I was his former intern, and I had to correct him because I don't think it would play well if he found out I was lying to him.

But I think both managers probably already hate me or my script got lost in their inbox. I sent my query at the beginning of my work day on a 200 million dollar budget movie (not a brag, just giving the size and scope of the job), then half my department didn't show up for work because of COVID, and neither did their replacements, also because of COVID, so I had to do the work of three guys on a fairly elaborate set and never got a break for fifteen hours because we were shorthanded, which resulted in me e-mailing them back after business hours over twelve hours after they responded to me.

Prezzy, seriously, they don't care how fast or even if you respond. They will accept the script graciously even if you respond a week later, and you don't have to give an excuse why it took you "time." They understand it's quite possible you have a day job. The said yes, because they like your premise/concept/story. There isn't a rush, really. You're good.

Good luck, you may well here something back next week.
                        FA4
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

• Originally posted by Bono View Post
                          Margo,

Honestly that's the stuff that sounds like a movie like THE BIG SICK where it's so unbelievable you can't believe it's 100% true. And as someone who had the cancer and wanted to write a comedy about it -- I 100% love this idea. And I bet it's a great movie that honors your parents.

Hopefully your thriller will lead to success and then you can go back to showing this cancer - drama/comedy around.

Often that's how it works right. I don't think August: Osage County gets made until Tracy was big enough and could get it made. In other words if that was his first spec, he'd also have trouble finding the right home for it. So don't lose faith.

I'm trying not to, Bono, so thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                            Prezzy, seriously, they don't care how fast or even if you respond. They will accept the script graciously even if you respond a week later, and you don't have to give an excuse why it took you "time." They understand it's quite possible you have a day job. The said yes, because they like your premise/concept/story. There isn't a rush, really. You're good.

Good luck, you may well here something back next week.
                            FA4
                            Thanks, FA4 and everyone else telling me to relax and not worry. I always think the worst case scenario is going to happen, so the reassurance is helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jazzed View Post
                              Margo. If they bit on your work before… they’ll bite again. Yeah me n dem crickets go waaay back. I hear ya.

I’m of a Mind to MAKE something happen. Will it into existence, so to speak. Tesla n Einstein swear the universe is energy. Tesla says look to the frequencies. Combine that with overwhelming positive vibes—as displayed by so many DD folks, and along with determination—SOMEthing WILL happen. I see the quality of persistence here. That’s another word for integrity. Best of luck.
                              Just saw this, Jazzed. Thanks very. much and the same to you.

Comment

Just saw this, Jazzed. Thanks very. much and the same to you.
                                Margo! I believe you are on the right track with the ‘inspired by’ route. It’s a sound approach, grounded by a truth, yet also grants tremendous literary license.

I saw where Verve made a nice move a few years ago to capitalize on IP’s place in the market. Potent lit dept. Good luck! Love your spirit.

Comment

Working...
                                X