What is a writer release and should I sign one?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a writer release and should I sign one?

I have a manager who is interested in one of my scripts and she asked if I would be willing to sign a “standard” writer release. What is it and should I do it? Sorry if this is common knowledge or something, I tried googling it but to no avail.

First: It's great you caught the interest of a manager with one of your scripts. Don't open the Champagne bottle yet, though.

Second: Update your Google. This hit came back within milliseconds using "screenplay submission release form" as keywords:

Movie Law

Whatever applies to you, do. Bear in mind this is as much information as it is a ploy to sell his services. If I were you, I'd choose what he suggests as option number 3. YMMV.

P.S. — Do some fair-and-balanced research using legitimate website sources before you "pull the trigger" on signing and submitting the form with your script.

In other words, don't get too excited and rush headlong into an agreement you may later regret making; at least, don't do do without some serious study of the issue.

Here's the Google page with scads of hits returned:

Google page of screenplay submission release form hits

Here's ScriptMag's advice:

What Screenwriters Need to Know About Submission Releases

What I don't understand is how you're not able to find various screenwriting information topics on the Internet. They're everywhere, and most of it is free of charge to boot.

If you feel you need someone to guide you every step of the way, you could join a writer's group in your area for that kind of support.

Start here first:

Go Into The Story

Good luck.
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-21-2022, 06:52 AM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Without a rep, signing releases is a fairly common way of getting read. It says you won’t sue them if something similar to yours is developed at some point.

Comment

Exactly what Jeff said. I wouldn’t worry about it. Congrats on getting a read.

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Comment

Working...
          X