Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get manager emails?

The Hollywood Creative Directory isn't around anymore. Imdbpro doesn't really list anything worthwhile. I've been able to get some from people I know, but it's still scattershot. Just curious if anyone has a better way. There's a few I can't seem to get ever since they changed companies.

Ask friends. Google. Name some reps you can't find.

Honestly finding the emails is easier than finding the names / companies to hit up. Once you do that, you're in business. So we all know 3 Arts exists for example, but it's finding those 10-20 newly founded manager companies to even know they exist to query them.

A good way to do that is you keep doing deep dives. You look up sales of stuff you enjoy writing. You see who repped that writer, and you google all those names including the writer... and what happens is you find tons of new people to query that way.

It takes some effort, but I find it fun.

Last edited by Bono; 09-20-2022, 07:48 AM.

Comment

IMDB Pro, http://everyonewhosanyone.com/tt/tlta1.html has all the legit agencies/mgmt cos (though cross-check against IMDB Pro for any given name to see if they're still actually at a given place).

when all else fails, i've found writers who are already repped by a given agent/mgr often have personal websites that list the contact info for prospective hires

it's a tedious process but generally i've always been able to track down an email for known reps eventually

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        IMDB Pro, http://everyonewhosanyone.com/tt/tlta1.html has all the legit agencies/mgmt cos (though cross-check against IMDB Pro for any given name to see if they're still actually at a given place).

when all else fails, i've found writers who are already repped by a given agent/mgr often have personal websites that list the contact info for prospective hires

it's a tedious process but generally i've always been able to track down an email for known reps eventually
        Wow, Joe, that's a great resource. Thanks. Of course, a lot of the managers on those lists have moved on, but I still found a few that I didn't expect to find.

Just out of curiosity, do writers get a lot of responses from queries these days? I've been reluctant to try it and am only considering it as a last resort if everything else fails. I am trying all the other methods first to see how they go.

Comment

We never got a lot of responses, but we still get them from queries.

What other methods? Waiting for someone to notice you? How are you getting your work out there?

I will never get the writers on here who will spend 20 years working on their craft, in all aspects, but ignoring the biggest one -- SELLING YOUR WORK.

For instance, if that link Joe posted was NEW to any writer on this board who has been at this awhile, that makes me sad. Because that is like the first thing I found when I first starting querying.

I'm just depressed that people aren't doing the baby steps needed to make it. You don't have to know everything, I know I don't know crap... but you badly can you want something in 2022 and can't find these answers?

You could PM half the board and I'm sure get a full list of reps I'm sure.

I'm get upset when writers who have talent, but just lack that extra 10% to get their work shown.

QUERY AWAY WRITERS.
          Last edited by Bono; 09-21-2022, 06:31 AM.

Comment

My challenge has always been finding the new contact info for those agents/managers whom have left a large firm to start their own. They may not have been looking for new clients because they are servicing those clients who stayed with them but their assistant who came with them has now been promoted and are looking for their own clients now.

This has happened to me a few years ago when said big name agent wasn't looking for new clients but the newly promoted agent was and asked for my script within an hour of me sending the query.

Bono, any ideas on finding those newly created firms?

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
              My challenge has always been finding the new contact info for those agents/managers whom have left a large firm to start their own. They may not have been looking for new clients because they are servicing those clients who stayed with them but their assistant who came with them has now been promoted and are looking for their own clients now.

This has happened to me a few years ago when said big name agent wasn't looking for new clients but the newly promoted agent was and asked for my script within an hour of me sending the query.

Bono, any ideas on finding those newly created firms?
              Yes. Search the name of the person and their new firm, using contact and email in search. If that shows nothing, use their old company. If you have IMDB PRO, use a client's name to google and often I find reps names because one of their clients -- often directors or actors -- have a website showing their work and all their reps are on it with emails right there.

For instance, Brittion Rizzo is a manager who just left Circle I believe to start Curate. https://deadline.com/2021/12/britton...el-1234885428/

So now you, play the game and try to find her email. It was easy. Also you find there other reps like agents and learn their email systems which helps you guess others.

One result was this website -- https://www.lauraeason.com/contact.html

And that's just one rep (who may be not right for you, but just using as an example) at how I do it. It's not rocket science. It's just a lot of googling and not giving up. And typing in random words to the search engine. Sometimes it comes easy, sometimes it's hard.

So PM me if you are trying to find something you can't. The lack of finding emails should NOT be the reason writers don't have careers...

Unless you meant finding the NAMES of those newly created firms... then I would search the agent by name and old agency and see what the results lead too... usually an article or two... that will give you the name of their new shingle... if not you can just try their name and email and contact...

Also querying their old email sometimes leads to a bounce back that says where they have moved to now. Some companies don't just cut them off right away...

Comment

I also went to sites like coverfly and stage 32 --- search names of reps on their who are reading people or signing people -- and that gave me a lot of new people I didn't know existed to query. Stuff like that.

Go to screenwriting websites and find names of producers and reps to query directly.

What happens is you put that reps name in a search engine and it will lead to more names you didn't even know you were looking for.

I recall I found my first reps name (he was the junior manager) in the Hollywood Directory. I was querying the 3 people I knew at the company, but in 2007 I had to use an actual book to find that person. So much easier now with social media.

I don't use Linked In but I'm sure that's a great way to get names...

Comment

Bono,

Re:
                  Also querying their old email sometimes leads to a bounce back that says where they have moved to now.
                  You're brilliant; I forgot about this even though I used this technique in the past. I can vouch it works because I was able to stay in touch with a development guy after he joined another prodco.

Thanks for the reminder big guy.

Comment

Working...
                  X