X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyes_Of_a_Doll
    replied
    Re: LA Managers: Monster List of Lit.

What is the link to the Code Entertainment Website?

Leave a comment:

• aruna
    replied

Could someone please tell me what exactly a manager does, and how the manager's role differs from that of the agent? What are the costs involved? How come it's easier to get a manager than an agent (if that is the case?)

Leave a comment:

• aruna
    replied

Hi broughcut, here I am at last!

I'm going to take your advice and seek an LA manager. Does anyone have a suggestion for my first attempt?

I am a published author of three novels; I've written two screenplays, one an adaptation from my first novel, and one original. The latter is the spec script I'm trying to sell right now.

Leave a comment:

• Colt45
    replied

How could I find out the names of these individual managers?

Leave a comment:

• Deus Ex Machine
    replied

Any letter should be addressed specifically to the person you want to reach. Never use to whom it may concern or some generic job title, be specific. Being an informed and professional businessman is 50% of the job of being a successful writer whose livelihood will depend on your ability to develop and maintain contacts in the industry.

Leave a comment:

• Frankclone
    replied

Does the same protocol apply to querying managers, i.e., addressing to a specific person? And are these names included in sources like Hwd Creatv Dir.?

Leave a comment:

• BROUGHCUT
    replied

Lit managers take 10%. But you will always need an agent (10%) or attorney (5% or fixed/hourly fee) to negotiate the deal. If a lit manager asks for more than 10% they are dodgy and you should walk. Can we keep this thread for discussion of specific managers. I've upped Code to the top group--thanks for the feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Deus Ex Machine
    replied

Yes and Yes.

Managers develop talent and careers.

Agents negotiate deals.

Leave a comment:

• Qazworld
    replied

how much of a cut do managers usually take? I heard between 10-15%. Is this true? And then would a person still need an agent?

Leave a comment:

• argo
    replied

No Qaz, you don't need a manager. I used to think I didn't need one, till I got one myself. And now I know they can be extremely beneficial. Mine used to be a creative executive and his sense of story is impeccable. And my script, and writing, has benefited immensely. Plus his industry contacts don't hurt either.

But as has been mentioned before, be careful of managers who are producers and want to attach themselves as such to your script. It can kill a deal pretty quick.

Leave a comment:

• roscoegino
    replied

A good manager will look after your career. An agent cuts to the chase. They make the actual deals happen, but you'd be lucky to get one open to establishing a solid one on one relationship with you.

For this reason, I'd shoot my queries to managers first. Not because they're supposedly "easier" to get a meeting with but because in general, they spend more time with you and you learn about the business, not just about writing. Many managers are producers which icould be a useful education in itself.

I, myself, am looking forward to a good January. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Qazworld
    replied

do you approach getting a manager the same way you would an agent? Meaning should I send out query letters to these people if I want a manager? Does anyone even need a manager?

Leave a comment:

• The White Album
    replied

That's a great list. The only thing I would change is flip CODE ENTERTAINMENT with THE GOTHAM GROUP.

CODE has more managers and bigger clients then GOTHAM.

Leave a comment:

• baldstunter
    replied

Dang broughcut you are the man. thank you so much for doing that. you didn't have to

peace

bs

Leave a comment:

• Cesahr
    replied

Awesome, thank Brough. I haven't looked at a list for a while, so it's good to get one that's organized as such. Thanks too for the Agency list as well.

Happy New Year everyone!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X