This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Managers: Monster List of Lit.

What is the link to the Code Entertainment Website?

Comment

What exactly do you have to do to get represented by one of these agencies?

Comment

*bump*
        "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

What's the best/cheapest source of manager contact info?The HCD for Reps is about $52 from The Writer's Store, and HCD itself offers a one-week trial for about $25, but this guide has a lot of extraneous info.Is there any resource that ONLY lists detailed info on managers?LauriD
          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Done Deal Pro? If there's anyone on this list not in DD Pro's directory just list them here and I will post contact details. (btw sent you a PM).

FilmStew is free... imdbpro had a generous free trial and is good for reps.
            The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

For 10%, the manager should act as my psychiatrist too.

Comment

Great list, but a lot of those people don't have email addresses I can contact. I find that faxing and snail mail doesn't get that many results.

Comment

STICKY again mods?

EJ

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks for the list! I'm relieved to see my management is listed as I started to have a doubt for how things are moving with this management... I just don't get any positiveness from my manager. He always seems to have something negative to say about everything. (You know the type...) And the worst feeling that I now feel is that he doesn't seem like a go-getter that I need on my side.

Now, I must admit I may be a bit hasty as it's been only a couple of months since I signed with this manager. Plus, this is my first management, so I really am not sure what I can expect... But Mr. Manager hasn't gotten me any meetings after two months. He's probably sent my script out to the total of 3 execs, made less than a dozen calls to some execs. It seems little too slow... Or am I being too antsy?

Would you or anyone who can please tell me whether Lit. managers usually send their clients' materials only to the people they have relations with, or they try to explore new relations according to the materials they are repping?

Thanks!
                    snwbaby

Comment

Originally posted by aruna
                      Could someone please tell me what exactly a manager does, and how the manager's role differs from that of the agent? What are the costs involved? How come it's easier to get a manager than an agent (if that is the case?)
                      Here's a great site to answer your question... Check it out!
                      http://www.scriptshark.com/scriptjou...s/MM_avsm.html
                      It explains what exactly they do and differ from each other. Good luck!

snwbaby

Comment

Originally posted by argo

But as has been mentioned before, be careful of managers who are producers and want to attach themselves as such to your script. It can kill a deal pretty quick.
                        Hello.

Why would that quickly kill the deal?

Comment

I've said this many times before and it bears repeating: if a manager doesn't want to produce ANY of their writers EVER, why aren't they agents????????????????

A: ignorant; green, & seeing "how it goes"; v. spendthrift (can't afford 10K Cali surety bond... few/no deals); wants leeway to screw writers. Just because a manager is new to the game doesn't mean they can't open doors, but them not producing is obviously in the writer's interest, per argo.

Established managers, on the other hand, want leeway to produce the best scripts and make $$$.

I'm not reading much so I'll add this disclaimer: just b/c manager isn't producing you doesn't mean he doesn't produce other clients.

Attachment means 12.5K for the manager-producer up front, 12.5K later (typically, when the project becomes moribund, or is put into production) and, critically, whatever producing fee they can negotiate (this is where the money is to be made). Difficult but not impossible for a 25K producing fee to kill a deal with a studio who really wants a script, but the manager's name my kill it before it gets to that stage because there's so many of them (many more managers than agents, as is evident from the list) hurling so much sh!t against so many walls that the 2nd tier lit market (UTA et al do most the real deals) is one giant scat party.... that's such a messy metaphor... think of it as a regular party but it's 5:30 am in the morning and all the talent has gone home and they are rubbing their fingers on their 'Jackson’s' and the cisterns and numbing their gums with left-over coke (I mean, specs ).

Comment

I think it's unfair to assume that most managers want to produce. Many managers are producers who want an active role in their clients' career. Others are former agents who want to help in the development. There are all sorts.

I know plenty of managers who are great at serving their clients and have no ambitions on the producing end. Maybe they want to be thanked in an Oscar speech but that's about it.

Comment

so why aren't they agents, ham?

There's a very significant difference between collecting a development/producing fee (as compensation for development work before a script is sold) and having "ambitions on the producing end".

If anything, a manger with "ambitions on the producing end" is a liability.

If a manager is commissioning all clients instead of collecting a development fee then why the hell aren't they agents? Being an agent would protect the writer and wouldn't prevent them from doing the "pro-bono" development work they apparently so love....

I do not think many former agents sacrifice their lawful status and become managers for the same paltry 10% (which is liable to be disgorged by California as soon as they become managers) in order to "help" in development. Agents become (used to become...) managers in order to make more money--from (dwindling) studio development coffers, not from the writer's pocket....

Comment

Originally posted by Pencey
                                For 10%, the manager should act as my psychiatrist too.
                                Mine does.

I wouldn't take on this industry without a (legit) manager. But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                                X